Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I disable the noisemaker in my Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To this date none of my Model 3s (Jan 2020, Feb 2020 and Dec 2022) have made one peep in forward motion... We do get the woowoo sound in reverse. Tesla claims that "you just can't hear it" even though I have listened from the outside as they were driven by, and I even made a video recording of it.

Stand near the front of the car and have someone engage the forward drive gear ("D"). You should hear the sound.

Perhaps stand beside the car, not directly in front of it, just in case … :)

The sound resembles white noise, a hissing sound.

You can also test the reverse sound by asking the person in the driver's seat to engage the reverse drive gear ("R"). It is louder and more conspicuous, perhaps because the speaker is in the front and needs to make more noise to alert somebody near the back.

Stand near the front of the car and have someone engage the forward drive gear ("D"). You should hear the sound.

Perhaps stand beside the car, not directly in front of it, just in case … :)

The sound resembles white noise, a hissing sound.

You can also test the reverse sound by asking the person in the driver's seat to engage the reverse drive gear ("R"). It is louder and more conspicuous, perhaps because the speaker is in the front and needs to make more noise to alert somebody near the back.
Your comments are indeed, as a calculus professor used to insist on repeating "intuitively obvious".

As I live in the uSA, perhaps there is some difference, I can't hear it, the two Mobile Rangers who came out to so a couple of tasks can't hear it, but in communications with TESLA, "It is there, you just can't hear it".
My Dec 2021 delivered 2022 Model 3 is silent when moving forward from 1 to 10 mph.
I'm going to a service appointment next week at the local service center. While there, I want to see the guy there tell me with a straight face that he can hear it.

Your comments are indeed, as a calculus professor used to insist on repeating "intuitively obvious".

As I live in the uSA, perhaps there is some difference, I can't hear it, the two Mobile Rangers who came out to so a couple of tasks can't hear it, but in communications with TESLA, "It is there, you just can't hear it".
My Dec 2021 delivered 2022 Model 3 is silent when moving forward from 1 to 10 mph.
I'm going to a service appointment next week at the local service center. While there, I want to see the guy there tell me with a straight face that he can hear it.
Any chance you have some hearing loss? I do and I can't really hear the forward noise. But it's definitely there.

A long time has passed, but two points have still not been discussed here.
  1. Making the modification deniable, i.e. it should look as if the contact was not properly installed when the car was manufactured or as if it broke or worked itself loose during normal use.
  2. Making the modification such that it can very quickly and easily be reversed.
I have not looked into it technically, but perhaps pulling the plug out only half-way may do the trick, possibly combined with a tiny amount of glue, so it does not fall out and hang freely, collecting dirt.

Has anybody looked into these details?
Meanwhile I have. My idea works exactly as described.

First turn the steering wheel to the left stop to get the wheel out of the way.

A little detail from somebody who is not a car mechanic: The three little plugs that hold the wheel well liner to the front bumper are very easy to operate once you understand how they work.

They consist of two parts, the inner plug and an outer ring.
  1. The outer ring has two grooves on opposite sides where you can insert a small flat-head screwdriver to lift and pull out the inner plug half-way. Try it from another side and you will be unable to insert the screwdriver. I recommend to use a flashlight to look at them carefully first. Get somebody to shine a bright light over your shoulder, so you can use both hands.
  2. When trying to reattach them afterwards, if you have absent-mindedly pushed the inner plug back into the ring, you will not be able to insert the entire plug into the hole. You have to pull the inner plug half-way out of the ring again before pushing the whole plug into the hole. Don't forget to push the wheel-well liner up, so it goes back into its proper place and the position of its holes matches the holes in the metal.
Every car mechanic will laugh his head off when reading this, but I had to learn it first.

The actual electric plug is arrested by means of a small, differently colored plastic part, which you have to pull out half-way first, before being able to pull off the whole plug.

If you like, you can put a tiny bit of glue onto the top near the front of the plug, then carefully plug it in just a little bit, just so it doesn't instantly fall out again. This prevents dirt from getting into the socket or the plug, and the trace of glue keeps it in place in the presence of vibration.

Now it looks as if the plug had not been installed properly in the first place. This is the "deniable" aspect.

Re-check after a few weeks to make sure the plug has not separated itself from the socket. Reverse the operation for technical checks or workshop visits.

Last edited:
I've never heard the forward warning sound. Is it different from the reverse flying saucer sound? Do I need to roll down the windows and drive next to a solid wall to hear it?
Neighbor of ours has a Hyundai EV. His makes the same sound going forward at low speed and backing up. Mine only does it while backing up. No sound while moving forward, no mater the speed, unless rattles count lol.

Won't the car detect that there is no longer a "load" on the circuit?
in the case of the pws speaker - no. i did this mod on my march 2020 build m3p and had zero issues. now ive a feb 2022 build m3p and this was the first thing i did. have had the car a week and no issues. i bought a little cap from abstract ocean that protects the exposed part on the pws speaker and the wire.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
After following this thread for a while I have one question. Why? You can't hear it from inside the car. Do you hate blind pedestrians? It only occurs at low speeds.

Just asking. For a friend.
The reverse sound is particularly irritating, and far louder than any ICE would be in reverse. Not like they require noisemakers for Rolls Royce’ even though those are quieter than most EVs even with their engines.

I’m not aware of any data showing there is a statistically significant difference in pedestrian collisions pre and post noisemaker. Curious if you have any such data.

The reverse sound is particularly irritating, and far louder than any ICE would be in reverse. Not like they require noisemakers for Rolls Royce’ even though those are quieter than most EVs even with their engines.

I’m not aware of any data showing there is a statistically significant difference in pedestrian collisions pre and post noisemaker. Curious if you have any such data.
You can't hear it inside so who's it irritating to?