Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you display energy?

How do you have your Y set to display energy; Range or % of battery remaining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you value your sanity you will set it to percent and never stress over range and battery degradation!
I plan to keep mine on percent when I get mine (hopefully this upcoming week).

I’m trying to figure out best way to calculate remaining miles when showing percent...do you calculate remaining distance by looking at your average wh/mile consumption for current trip and do the math based on remaining battery %?

I’m trying to figure out best way to calculate remaining miles when showing percent...do you calculate remaining distance by looking at your average wh/mile consumption for current trip and do the math based on remaining battery %?
I just multiply the percentage with 2.5 when doing local trips, longer distances freeway times 2 to keep on the safe side (probably 2.2-2.4 would be closer). Anyway the built-in trip planner is good in estimating when you need to hit the next supercharger in that case.

Last 500 miles averaging 300 Wh/m (without any long/freeway road trips)

Yes, I first look at the average Wh/mi over the last 30 miles on the Energy page. Then I look at the current battery state of charge. Convert that into kWh(based on a 72.5 kWh useable battery) and you can divide that number by your average Wh/mi.

Example: Given, 250 Wh/mi average at 50% Battery.
Thats 36.25 kWh of battery divided by 250 equals 145 miles of range left.

Reactions: Koolio46
Yes, I first look at the average Wh/mi over the last 30 miles on the Energy page. Then I look at the current battery state of charge. Convert that into kWh(based on a 72.5 kWh useable battery) and you can divide that number by your average Wh/mi.

Example: Given, 250 Wh/mi average at 50% Battery.
Thats 36.25 kWh of battery divided by 250 equals 145 miles of range left.
That’s what I thought, thanks.

Why use 72.5kwh? I’ve read that even though it’s a 75kwh battery, one should use 74kwh for total capacity.

That’s what I thought, thanks.

Why use 72.5kwh? I’ve read that even though it’s a 75kwh battery, one should use 74kwh for total capacity.

I honestly don't know how many kWh Elon has let us tap into for consumption on our Y's. But I know my 302 mile range(currently) at 100% is based on 240wh/mi, so I multiplied the two and extrapolated 72,500kWh of battery juice.

• Helpful
Reactions: Koolio46