Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you guys feel on the Model 3 being really popular

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in central CA. I rarely see another Tesla. Actually, so far, I've only seen one other Tesla and that was 4 months before I purchase mine. I can't wait until I see at least 3 or 4 on my way to work a day. I see all sorts of other cars multiple times a day (ok no porches, Lambo's etc... But real cars, also I don't see any leafs or other electric cars, but I did see one chevy volt (post purchase) that I was actually surprised to see,l but this is in the entirety of while living for 20+ year in the valley), but I really can't wait until I see 3 or 4 teslas on my way to work every day. It will mean they've achieved finally. At least to me. An Owner, not a stock holder.

I'm driving my 3 to Northport, MI (just north of Traverse City) in a three weeks to visit family. It's funny how I'm excited about using Northport's Destination Chargers :D.
And it will look great 10 years from now. Camrys not so much.
I know, it’s exciting. We’re like new age pioneers, but Tesla is making it easy for us to enjoy the adventure. These are exciting times in the automotive world. It’s been so boring for a long time. Things are going to get very interesting.

The Audi S4 has a switch that lets you change some baffles in the exhaust to make it louder. I laughed at my friend when he was showing me this feature. Seeing that really drove home the fact that ICE is on it's way out. When manufacturers start putting that kind of gimmick crap in their cars, they are truly out of ideas for any meaningful performance improvements.

Or they're just catering to their market.

A friend of my has a Ford Mustang, and he spent a good amount of time trying to find the right sounding exhaust system for it. Apparently after market exhausts are a pretty big deal with Mustangs. I also recall reading about a Mustang where you could flip a switch, and have it go into quiet mode. Since even people who love engine sound don't always want it.

The car guy in me doesn't see these options as anywhere close to piping artificial sound in. That's just wrong on so many levels.

It's kinda funny for me to defend cars that make noise since I don't generally like them. I prefer the stealthiness of being quiet. I don't really want people to know I'm lighting it up off the line.

I just want to be there one moment, and gone the next. But, there are lots of ICE people that love engine noise and have a deep appreciation for engine/exhaust noise as if it was a symphony orchestra.

I was sitting in the drive through at Arby’s this evening and a ten year old boy walked out. When he saw the car his eyes got big as saucers.
Instantly about four of his friends surrounded the car and began asking questions: how much did it cost, where do you charge it, so cool, looks like a space ship, and my favorite, are you guys from California or something :)

No problem it being popular, just means more after market parts, upgrades, etc as there shear number of the cars will increase. In Los Angeles, I see likely close to 10 Model 3s, 3-4 model S and a handful of X. Now my friend got model 3 because i gave him a ride, so even more. Now we can take road trips, talk about our cars nonstop.

The Audi S4 has a switch that lets you change some baffles in the exhaust to make it louder. I laughed at my friend when he was showing me this feature. Seeing that really drove home the fact that ICE is on it's way out. When manufacturers start putting that kind of gimmick crap in their cars, they are truly out of ideas for any meaningful performance improvements.

This would be a really helpful feature on my Subaru, because when I drive through my neighborhood I'd like it to be quiet. But when I get on it I'd like to remove exhaust restrictions as much as I can. That's not a gimmick, that's a performance benefit. There's Corvette that does the same thing.

I've a USB thumb drive with Roush Mustang 472 and Boss Mustang engine sounds that I got off the Car and Driver web site to use in my 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid years ago. The FFH has gone to my Grandson and the USB is now in my M3. I play it at the beginning of demo drives and it always gets a laugh. I couldn't find it today on the Car and Driver site.

Laughed at and ridiculed?
That's what I do when I see another CRV, RAV4, Rogue, Endeavor, etc.

When you consider SUVs and trucks are outselling cars 2:1 in the USA, I don't see it becoming too popular anytime soon.

Regardless, the quicker we move towards EV adoption, the better it is for everyone.

So this came to my attention around mid June. I was at the service centre and a older guy who owns a model s was like, “I don’t feel special anymore. There’s already so many Model 3’s on the road, and you guys are delivering even more.”

I said well the goal of the company isn’t to be special in terms of rarity but in terms of environment. He said well no one bats an eye on civics or camrys because well they’re ****ing everywhere. With Model 3 being everywhere soon he’s worried he won’t get the same attention. I said enjoy it while it lasts I guess. Service centre guys were just laughing.

How do you guys feel about this?
If he needs to buy something to feel special, he's got problems even a new Roadster won't solve.
Robin

If he needs to buy something to feel special, he's got problems even a new Roadster won't solve.
Robin

There is a huge difference between desiring something rare versus needing it.

I don't think I could deal with driving a car that everyone notices because I simply don't like the attention. But, thats simply my personality style. I do appreciate looking a bit different just so that everything isn't the same.

All this guy did was point out that it's not as unique anymore. That's a great thing as many have pointed out, but some want something different.

I'm really hoping Bollinger will be allowed to use the Supercharger network because that could open up boutique car manufacturers to using the Supercharging network.

Even if I never own one of those vehicles it would be awesome to see unique EV's at the Superchargers.

The great thing about EV's is you don't have to build a car the traditional way. So hopefully people get creative like what happened back in the day when cars actually looked different.

Many people are attracted to the M3 for exactly the same reason as the inquirer.

BTW, I attended a car show this weekend. Many, absolutely beautiful cars of every description.
If someone really wants something unique, there is always creative one of a kind paint schemes; adding, removing or changing the trim; converting it onto a convertible; or electronically adding the sound of a blown, V8 hemi. That sound is popular.
Another popular theme is the "rat-rod" with a cross-cut saw sun visor, bullet holes in the side panels and etc.
Or how about fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror?

I do not have an M3 yet, but when I do, I think I will just enjoy the "native, classic beauty" of the machine.
I plan on taking satisfaction in keeping it clean, shiny, and original.

No baffles, they actually just have a speaker in front of the firewall that pipes in fake engine sounds when you put drive select in dynamic. Luckily you can program that out with the vagcom software (ask me how I know)