Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you listen to music in your Tesla?

How do you primarily listen to music in your Tesla?

• Spotify using Tesla's account

• Spotify with a subscription account

• Tidal with a subscription account

• TuneIn

• Bluetooth streaming

• Files stored on a USB stick or SSD

• Radio

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Big shout-out to Radio Paradise - it's a free app (no advertisements, user-supported) with eclectic tastes but also with specific streams. Available as pre-download with auto-fill on WI-Fi in lossless quality. Sounds awesome and is the sweet spot for us with advertising-free DJ-curated playlists and the ability to save and play just accumulated favorites.

RP was/is? available as a channel on the Tesla media player but only in lower quality. Bluetooth streaming of lossless is much better! And did I mention it is FREE?

Reactions: Avendit
Big shout-out to Radio Paradise - it's a free app (no advertisements, user-supported) with eclectic tastes but also with specific streams. Available as pre-download with auto-fill on WI-Fi in lossless quality. Sounds awesome and is the sweet spot for us with advertising-free DJ-curated playlists and the ability to save and play just accumulated favorites.

RP was/is? available as a channel on the Tesla media player but only in lower quality. Bluetooth streaming of lossless is much better! And did I mention it is FREE?
The ten most frequently played groups were Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, U2, Peter Gabriel, R.E.M., and Dire Straits.[11]

Old people music :)

• Funny
Reactions: Smileysam
The ten most frequently played groups were Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, U2, Peter Gabriel, R.E.M., and Dire Straits.[11]

Old people music :)
Sorry, I must have missed the age restriction on the thread. That is the best ageist comment I've read in a while.

In your thorough assessment using Wikipedia you missed this bit: "...the active play music library had over 16,000 songs and the total library size is over a million songs." ;)

Spotify with family premium account. Although I find the Tesla app more annoying than the phone app - some things are even more strange and unintuitive to me! Is it true bitrate settings are really low even when logged into a premium account, so better to stream via bluetooth?

Annoyance example - usually if I ask it to play a song it goes onto 'song radio' afterwards. Last two days it just repeats the same song over and over despite still saying it's on song radio. Cant find a button for repeat settings. Siiiiigh

Sorry, I must have missed the age restriction on the thread. That is the best ageist comment I've read in a while.

In your thorough assessment using Wikipedia you missed this bit: "...the active play music library had over 16,000 songs and the total library size is over a million songs." ;)
Genuine question:

How can it be free and have no ads and pay for the rights to that music which absolutely will not be free?

Either the music is from the high seas and even then they still need to pay for infrastructure or it’s only ‘free’ to build a user base to then pull a ‘bonnet’ and massively jack up the price.

Genuine question:

How can it be free and have no ads and pay for the rights to that music which absolutely will not be free?

Either the music is from the high seas and even then they still need to pay for infrastructure or it’s only ‘free’ to build a user base to then pull a ‘bonnet’ and massively jack up the price.
They are a low-key operation and user-supported by listeners like me that chip in to keep them going. What a great way to keep away ads and create a community! User-contributed commentary on songs is a bonus. Been doing it a long time.

Here's a quote from their website's about us:
For the next 22 years, William (he was Bill then) and Rebecca worked together to keep Radio Paradise true to that original vision. They watched as other independent webcasters experimented with adding ads or charging subscription fees, and it became clear that the only way to keep their vision intact was to rely completely on listener support to cover the many expenses involved: servers, bandwidth, royalty payments, and salaries for the two of them.

Model Y on order to be here mid March.
I already subscribe to ytube premium which comes with ytube music at a high bit rate.
That is why I want to use ytube music as a streaming source. Probably can mirrror it
of bluetooth stream it but it would be nice if it worked in an app to. I see some of the more advanced aftermarket Instrument cluster adapters have Android auto and Car Play . The goal is to have high bitrate music from a source I already subscribe to . USB is best but I have found bluetooth to be adequate in my current car. Anybody found the best way to stream or and app that plays ytube music on your car?

Model Y on order to be here mid March.
I already subscribe to ytube premium which comes with ytube music at a high bit rate.
That is why I want to use ytube music as a streaming source. Probably can mirrror it
of bluetooth stream it but it would be nice if it worked in an app to. I see some of the more advanced aftermarket Instrument cluster adapters have Android auto and Car Play . The goal is to have high bitrate music from a source I already subscribe to . USB is best but I have found bluetooth to be adequate in my current car. Anybody found the best way to stream or and app that plays ytube music on your car?
There's no app for YouTube music, only Spotify, Apple Music or Tidal. You can connect via Bluetooth if you can command your phone by voice.

Or. if you but the premium connectivity service you can use Spotify in the car for nothing, which i what I do, YouTube Music on my phone, Spotify in the car. If you are happy with sound quality via Bluetooth then there's no point worrying about the bandwidth of the music source.

I here spotify is a really low bitrate? I have usb and bluetooth in my current car and yes bluetooth is not as good as 320 bit mp3 on a usb stick but it is still acceptable .
Also bluetooth has different levels depending on the codec with Aptex and Aptex HD being the current leaders I am aware of. There would be no loss with Wi Fi as link
if that was possible.

I'm really interested to know how everyone chooses to listen to music in their Tesla. I am (was) an Apple Music guy but obviously there's currently no native support in the Tesla for that, so I'm deciding whether I move to Spotify Premium, Tidal, put up with Bluetooth streaming, etc. - so thought I'd see how everyone else does it.

Obviously I get that sometimes you'll listen to radio, etc. - so I'm looking for how you listen to music in your Tesla the majority of the time. Also, this is aimed at the UK market so I've put the streaming services available here before anyone gets upset :)
Since Apple Music is now available, have you gone back to being an Apple Music guy?

I here spotify is a really low bitrate? I have usb and bluetooth in my current car and yes bluetooth is not as good as 320 bit mp3 on a usb stick but it is still acceptable .
Also bluetooth has different levels depending on the codec with Aptex and Aptex HD being the current leaders I am aware of. There would be no loss with Wi Fi as link
if that was possible.
It's not 'really low', the theory is it's between 128K and 256K on average Spotify Bitrate Measured at 160kbps. …and 128, and 256, and… well, let’s talk about it!

YouTube music is 128K at Normal setting and 256K at High, and that's what you said you were used to hearing. My Airpods can do 256K, so it's all about the same.

I have some automation setup, I use tasker for android it launches an app called Radio Paradise when it detects the cars bluetooth and sets the volume to 8, the it launches car home ultra.

Radio Paradise I have setup to play flac songs as I have unlimited data.

For anyone frustrated with the inability for USB music to resume for the next journey (disappeared with a 2022 update), I discovered yesterday that this actually works:

Right scroll wheel & say “Play a song from USB”

A tile containing the most recent song overlays on the map and from there you can resume. Nowhere near as seamless as the car remembering (as it used to do) or the former ability to just say "USB" or "resume USB" but someone in the programming team must have deliberately chosen this bizarre combination of words.

Strangely "Switch to USB" has never worked in my car and I tried it again yesterday before the first drive of the day, hence doing an internet search and discovering “Play a song from USB” which does.

As an update “Play a song from USB” didn't open the large tile overlay today but it shows the most recently played song in the smaller bottom RH corner tile (paused).

Inferior to pretty much any other car I've driven, or a Tesla for much of 2022 but at least workable.