Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you listen to music in your Tesla?

How do you primarily listen to music in your Tesla?

• Spotify using Tesla's account

• Spotify with a subscription account

• Tidal with a subscription account

• TuneIn

• Bluetooth streaming

• Files stored on a USB stick or SSD

• Radio

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Alexa's all round my house, but this doesn't happen at all.
Was talking more about smartphones tbh, shouldā€™ve been clearer. With Alexa itā€™s just a dislike of talking to inanimate object, Iā€™d rather talk to the dog at least it moves & feigns interest ā€¦..sometimesšŸ¤£. I think I shouldā€™ve been born a couple of decades earlier, I like tools, machines that required operating ā€¦.. not just push a button & go grab a brewšŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

I'm really interested to know how everyone chooses to listen to music in their Tesla. I am (was) an Apple Music guy but obviously there's currently no native support in the Tesla for that, so I'm deciding whether I move to Spotify Premium, Tidal, put up with Bluetooth streaming, etc. - so thought I'd see how everyone else does it.
I selected Bluetooth because like you I'm on Apple Music, although I do use TuneIn to listen to radio stations (especially BBC radio station, as I'm from the UK originally). I did try out Spotify, but I've been with Apple iTunes/Apple Music since 2002 (I still have iTunes Match believe it or not), plus Spotify's business practices (the latest spat with Neil Young / Joe Rogan) has me squeamish, and they're resisting hi definition audio too.

There are strong signs Apple Music is actually coming to Tesla's, so here's hoping!

Reactions: DM206433
Would like to believe this, but I can't see any rumours about this since reports in 2020. It has all gone quiet since then so I fear no news is bad news!
Yes it has gone quiet. I don't know what the sticking point is (could be that Tesla signed a deal with another provider that deliberately excludes Apple) but I think that's short-sighted given Apple has (according to yesterday's earnings call) 785 million subscribers to its services globally. That's a lot of people to explain "Apple Music? Yeah, just stream bluetooth, that's an awesome solution in 2022 in one of the world's most technologically advanced cars".

Last edited:
Reactions: AutomaticMan
Yes it has gone quiet. I don't know what the sticking point is (could eb that Tesla signed a deal that deliberately excludes Apple) but I think that's short-sighted given Apple has (according to yesterday's earnings call) 785 million subscribers to its services globally. That's a lot of people to explain "high just stream bluetooth, that's an awesome solution in 2022 in one of the world's most technologically advanced cars".
Indeed! Though Apple are just as likely to be the ones dragging their heels as Tesla. Can't imagine Apple look kindly on car makers who choose not to offer Apple CarPlay compatibility, plus if rumours are to be believed then Apple might be direct car making competitors to Tesla at some point. Maybe Apple want to keep Apple Music back as a differentiating factor.

All this is speculation on my part of course. But either way, it's irritating and I hope whichever party is dragging their heels changes their approach soon!

Reactions: guru1
A little tip for anyone that wants to use Tidal - get a vpn and sign up in Argentina for a Ā£1 a month (permanently - not a trial) for hires level. I then copied across my playlists from Apple Music using tunemymusi.com.
Nice one! Just did this and signed up to Tidal HiFi Family account, Ā£0.14p a month for first three months, then Ā£1.60 (Ā£1 for Tidal HiFi Individual) thereafter. Obviously used a card that doesn't incur foreign exchange fees.

Last edited:
Anyone else have an Android phone using YouTube Music?

I set up a wireless Android Auto head unit in my ancient dumb car and it's been a dream. Trying to figure out how to transition to a 2022 M3LR and it seems I'll be limited to Bluetooth?
You may want to check out TeslAA, which is a third party Android Auto implementation that works via the Tesla browser plus an app on the phone plus tethering your car to your phone's wi-fi hotspot.

Sounded a bit too clunky and finicky so I never bothered to investigate it given I didn't really have a real use case for it - but seems someone else managed to get it to work for your exact use case of YouTube music.

Reactions: CheapBastid
Just found the TMC UK thread on TeslAA and figured it was worth linking to it here, as it contains the link to download the app - which is a bit hard to find.

Reactions: CheapBastid
Nice one! Just did this and signed up to Tidal HiFi Family account, Ā£0.14p a month for first three months, then Ā£1.60 (Ā£1 for Tidal HiFi Individual) thereafter. Obviously used a card that doesn't incur foreign exchange fees.
How did you manage to get the card to work? mine keeps getting refused by the card provider. Oh well

May need to contact your card provider to say it's a legitimate purchase, as purchasing something online "from Argentina" may be causing a red flag at their end? Using a VPN will be making your transaction look like it's from an Argentinian IP address. I used my Halifax Mastercard without issue.

Last edited:
I know this will be unusual, but what I like to listen to is quietness. I don't like the radio blasting out, I don't like their choice of music, and I prefer to be able to think. I can sing if I want music, for that matter, but generally any trips are made with quiet conversation. Once in a while I'll blue tooth one of the albums on my phone, but I don't need everlasting noise pelting me.

Reactions: Xdama
Switched from Spotify on the car's subscription to Tidal via the three month free trial. It may be my imagination and my ears playing tricks, but I do think Tidal is a better audio quality than Spotify, Bluetooth and USB. I'm fairly sure I'll be keeping it after the trial comes to an end. I've also started using it over Spotify on my laptop and phone.
Took a while to create the playlists I wanted, but they're down now and just get added to occasionally.
Just need a 'shuffle' button and it would be perfect for me.