Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you plan to drive your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS just finished production and is on It's way to Georgia. There's a good chance it'll be here before Christmas.

I'm curious how everyone uses or plans to use your Tesla. Will it be your daily driver, long distance cruiser, weekend fun time car, or perhaps only for special occasions.

I drive about 10K miles per year. Half of that is going back and forth to the Atlanta Airport which is about 70 miles each way. I currently use my 06 Mercedes C-Class as my "Airport car". It's ten years old so if it gets dirty or an occasional scrape, scratch or ding it's no big deal.

I'm planning to start drive theTesla back-and-forth to the airport once it arrives. I've found an off airport parking garage that offers free charging for EV's. I parked the Mercedes there for the first time last week, and it was easier than using onsite airport parking.

It's just a two-minute ride from the terminal. They pick you up at your car and drop you off at your airline. The EV charging spots are much larger than normal parking space so hopefully I'll be able to avoid the dings and scratches.

I will probably only use the Tesla occasionally for around town driving. My other car is a 2014 Honda CRV. We have two big dogs that ride with us often when running errands. The CRV is perfect for them. They will probably never see the inside of the Tesla :).

How do you use or plan to use your Tesla?

I'm hoping it will be my 95% car. I'm still hanging onto several ICE cars, two are convertibles, and one a minivan, so they do complement the Tesla somewhat.

I see myself taking a lot more trips once the AP2 is enabled - I really hate long boring drives, so I could see myself being much more enthusiastic about driving when the car takes on some of the burden.

I'm hoping it will be my 95% car. I'm still hanging onto several ICE cars, two are convertibles, and one a minivan, so they do complement the Tesla somewhat.

I see myself taking a lot more trips once the AP2 is enabled - I really hate long boring drives, so I could see myself being much more enthusiastic about driving when the car takes on some of the burden.
I actually like driving the car--about 40-45 of the 82K miles are road trip miles. Of course, mine's closing in on four years so perhaps it's just sour grapes :)

Reactions: OBX John and jgs
I actually like driving the car--about 40-45 of the 82K miles are road trip miles. Of course, mine's closing in on four years so perhaps it's just sour grapes :)

Lol - I LOVE driving the car, it's all the other people on the road who drive me nuts! And having to pay attention on the long stretches wears me out. I'm so looking forward to having it as my daily driver. Literally.

Reactions: jgs
I ride my bike in Spring, Summer, and Fall
I drive my car in Winter, or if there is inclement weather, or if I have offsite meetings during work day.
I drive car for errands too. (Groceries, Costco etc)
I do 2 road trips per year, 155 miles one way to Duluth, and a handful of 50-100 mile drives to get my bike to a bike trail
I go to cabins here and there (2 to 2.5 hrs)

Last year I biked about 5000 miles and drove about 8,000 miles

This year I have more off site meetings, and so my guess is I'll bump up to 10k miles

All will be the Tesla except the cabin trips. (Unsure about charging ability)

I'm trading in my Lexus RX330, but our other car is AWD Infiniti G35. (Which will soon be a model 3)

plan is to trade in the G35 for a 3 and have no gas cars.

Our hope is that Superchargers will be enough, and our experience with the S increases confidence that cabin trip doesn't need gas

If not I'll just have our friends drive. (It's not our cabin... we have 2 sets of close friends with cabins 2 hour and 2.5 hours away)

If that doesn't work we have an Enterprise rental 8 blocks away

Back in 2013, when I had my first Model S on order, I couldn't envision using it as anything other than my daily commuter. We never did road trips, and I reasoned that if for some reason we decided to do so, we could just take our Silverado or rent a car. Still, I just couldn't part with my 2011 Genesis coupe. I loved it, it was paid for, and had every bell and whistle available.

7 months after delivery, I drove my Genesis for the first time since the Tesla arrived. It was terrible, and i sold it to CarMax the very next day.

I drove that 60 Model S to Charlotte multiple times, Miami, and even to Boston once. Then I got the AP bug, so I sold her and upgraded to my 90D. She's been to Charlotte at least 3 times, and to northern Indiana.

Before Tesla, I couldn't imagine myself taking road trips at all, much less every possible opportunity. Yet, that's exactly what driving a Tesla does.

In 2014 my bf bought a "fun car", his beloved RS Camaro convertible. His car just turned over 8,000 miles last month. My 90D I took delivery of on May 25 this year is nearing 16,000.

I'm planning to start drive theTesla back-and-forth to the airport once it arrives. I've found an off airport parking garage that offers free charging for EV's.

Wondering how long you will staying there, if you will be there for a long time you may be occupying the space that someone else may need for charging. Not sure what are the logistics for this in that airport, if this is short term parking a few hours or long term parking?

I'll be using my Tesla as my main and only car I don't want to drive anything else.

My MS just finished production and is on It's way to Georgia. There's a good chance it'll be here before Christmas.

I'm curious how everyone uses or plans to use your Tesla. Will it be your daily driver, long distance cruiser, weekend fun time car, or perhaps only for special occasions.

I drive about 10K miles per year. Half of that is going back and forth to the Atlanta Airport which is about 70 miles each way. I currently use my 06 Mercedes C-Class as my "Airport car". It's ten years old so if it gets dirty or an occasional scrape, scratch or ding it's no big deal.

I'm planning to start drive theTesla back-and-forth to the airport once it arrives. I've found an off airport parking garage that offers free charging for EV's. I parked the Mercedes there for the first time last week, and it was easier than using onsite airport parking.

It's just a two-minute ride from the terminal. They pick you up at your car and drop you off at your airline. The EV charging spots are much larger than normal parking space so hopefully I'll be able to avoid the dings and scratches.

I will probably only use the Tesla occasionally for around town driving. My other car is a 2014 Honda CRV. We have two big dogs that ride with us often when running errands. The CRV is perfect for them. They will probably never see the inside of the Tesla :).

Come back to this thread in six months and let us know how much you're using the Tesla and whether you've kept the other cars at all. :)

My experience matches with a lot of what you've read here - I already had a penchant for road trips, and my Volt had gotten ~12k per year including roadtrips. My four month old Tesla is on the path for twice that.

Tesla makes road trips easy, and most of us seem to enjoy driving them more. With Autopilot and Supercharging, it might be the ultimate roadtrip car - and when full self driving and automated Supercharging come along, it may redefine the segment and replace a lot of air travel with car-drives-you-while-you-sleep vacations...

Last edited:
Reactions: Aieukl378

Congrats...that's going to be one heck of a Christmas present! I use my Tesla for basically everything. I guarantee once you start driving your new car you won't want to drive anything else. Enjoy!

Congrats on the new purchase!

I took delivery of my 70D a year ago yesterday. I find every excuse to drive it... no errand too small or too far away. I drove ~400km each way to the Okanagan and back same day so a friend could buy a case of wine (well, that was the excuse). Then the following month, took a 3500km road trip to CA and back.

Our other car is a CR-V too - before my Tesla we used to put more miles on it than my previous car, but nowadays I fill the CR-V with gas only every 2 months or so.

I've found an off airport parking garage that offers free charging for EV's. I parked the Mercedes there for the first time last week, and it was easier than using onsite airport parking.

If you are referring to Peachy airport parking, that place is great...just remember to bring your UMC. I have used it several times and you can reserve an EV spot (there are about 50 spaces) but each time I go they have plenty of open spots.

Reactions: Archimedes
If you are referring to Peachy airport parking, that place is great...just remember to bring your UMC. I have used it several times and you can reserve an EV spot (there are about 50 spaces) but each time I go they have plenty of open spots.
Thanks cmf. Yes I was refering to Peachy. We live up near Athens. I'm so looking forward to using the HOT lane and Autopilot :)

Last edited: