Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you rotate tires on tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't rotated the tires on my Model 3 yet, but I've done it plenty of times on the Model S. I just do it myself as I already have the tools. My trick is I use two jacks (aluminum low profile ones from Harbor Freight). I then jack both the front and rear side of the car at the same time. However, I only do this because I do not need to go under the car to rotate tires or keep the car in the air for very long. DO NOT PUT ANY PART OF YOUR BODY UNDER A CAR ONLY SUPPORTED BY A HYDRAULIC JACK!!!

Here are the steps I follow:
  1. Remove the plastic lug nut caps.
  2. With a breaker bar and a plastic covered socket (to prevent scratching the wheel), break loose the lug nuts on both wheels.
  3. Put both jacks under the car. Jack up one corner until the tire just leaves the ground. Jack up the other corner until that tire just leaves the ground. Verify both tires are now about an inch off the ground.
  4. Using a cordless impact gun, remove the nuts from the front wheel and remove the wheel. Move the wheel to the back of the car.
  5. Using the impact gun again, remove the nuts from the rear wheel and remove the wheel. Set it aside.
  6. Inspect the brakes and suspension for any obvious issues or wear.
  7. Put the front wheel back on the rear hub. Start the lug nuts by hand for a few turns to insure no cross threading. I then use the impact gun to tighten all 5 in a star pattern. Since my gun isn't powerful enough and I quickly stop once the nut stops spinning, this doesn't over torque the nuts.
  8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 but with the rear wheel on the front hub.
  9. Gently lower the car to the ground.
  10. Set the torque wrench to 129ft/lbs and torque each lug nut in a star pattern. I do a double click on all 5 and then re-torque in the same sequence with just a single click of the toque wrench. Repeat for the other wheel.
  11. Reinstall lug nut caps.
I just repeat on the other side and I'm done! However, I'm not sure on the torque spec for the Model 3. So be sure to research that before doing this.
The only difference between the S and X in changing a tire is the height level, the X is to be set at low and the S is to be set at the highest level.
The torque spec is the same 129ftlb

Does anyone know if you can safely use a bottle jack on a tesla? I have a 5 ton version, but haven't used it yet and is only if I had to change a tire on a road trip. Assuming you loosen the nuts on the wheel before jacking?
I doubt that you could fit it under a Model 3 and I think you would want something to distribute the load on the jack point. Yes, you should loosen the lugs a little bit before jacking unless you're using an impact wrench.

857DFCD8-7C71-4F9F-BA69-138FA05F6629.jpeg
I doubt that you could fit it under a Model 3 and I think you would want something to distribute the load on the jack point. Yes, you should loosen the lugs a little bit before jacking unless you're using an impact wrench.
No a bottle jack should not be used on any Tesla especially the 3.
The jack area is so small and the ground clearance is very low.

Hopefully Tesla will join BMW and state that tire rotations are a waste of time.

I know people disagree, but here's my honest belief: tire rotation is slightly dangerous and results in faster tire wear.

Each tire position wears differently, especially.. The tire wears into its position such that the contact patch becomes its widest. When it's at its widest, the rate of wear reaches a minimum. Rotate the tires and the contact patch is no longer optimum... the tire has to wear into its new position all over again. Until it does so, your stability at the limit is slightly off and your emergency handling is slightly compromised. After a rotation the tire wears into its new position, the contact patch is narrow, the contact pressure is elevated, and the tire wears more quickly.

Only if your alignment is way off, or you have a lead foot with a rwd car will tire rotation make the tires last longer.

Better to not rotate and be better able to see evidence of any alignment issues, and stop wasting the Tesla techs time in the false fantasy that you are getting couple extra months out of your tires.

Use winter tires if you have seasons, but otherwise I say trust the German bmw engineers on this one. Don't rotate the tires

How to Tesla service center jack up Model 3's? Do they have adapters to use on the jack point or they have specialized lift?
I don't know how they do it at the service center, but the Tesla mobile tech that came to my house yesterday to rotate my 3's tires jacked up the right side from the rear jack point. No adapter or pad was used. Just his floor jack. Then did the same on the left side rear jack point.

Front tires were moved to the rear. No criss-crossing.

Do I really need to replace all four tires at the same time?

I wonder if this applies to Dual Motor Teslas... If so I might be a tire rotator.
The cars they mention are a single central engine, splitting power 4 ways. That's not what an AWD Tesla does. Probably means it doesn't apply like that.

Although it is likely that the tires will wear relatively evenly on the Model 3 AWD (rear more during acceleration, front more on braking/regen, so roughly evening out). So seems more likely that you'd end up replacing 4 at the same time or near the same time, anyway, even without rotation.

I don't know how they do it at the service center, but the Tesla mobile tech that came to my house yesterday to rotate my 3's tires jacked up the right side from the rear jack point. No adapter or pad was used. Just his floor jack. Then did the same on the left side rear jack point.

Front tires were moved to the rear. No criss-crossing.
Just to be clear, he did not use anything to adapt to the jack point hole, just used a standard jack with a regular cradle?

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
Do I really need to replace all four tires at the same time?

I wonder if this applies to Dual Motor Teslas... If so I might be a tire rotator.
That only applies to vehicles with limited slip differentials. You don't want a constant speed differential on the two outputs.
I do a 5 tire (4 + the spare) rotation on my Lexus GX470 for that reason. And if I were to ever destroy a tire I would have to buy one that was already worn down or have it shaved.

I did not rotate tires initially when I got my car, and at 40.000 km (30.000 M) I got such nasty cupping making very noisy tires that I put on new tires while still having 3-3.5 mm thread. I think (and hope) rotation will prevent cupping. I am still curious what the rotation pattern should be.