Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you rotate tires on tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not rotate tires initially when I got my car, and at 40.000 km (30.000 M) I got such nasty cupping making very noisy tires that I put on new tires while still having 3-3.5 mm thread. I think (and hope) rotation will prevent cupping. I am still curious what the rotation pattern should be.
The rotation pattern (F-R) or (X) doesn't matter unless the tires are directional. Most people do F-R because it's easier to lift up one side of the car (historically there has been a lot of FUD about rotation pattern). Cupping can be caused by a number of things, the most common being low air pressure, out of balance, and loose or worn parts (bearings, shocks, or suspension). An early rotation (1500 km-2000 km) can help prevent irregular wear at the end of the tires' life by giving every tire a turn on the rear drive axle so that an even wear pattern can be started.

• Informative
Reactions: Duke-U
Very helpful -- thanks.

Since I will rotate at home for free, am not a BMW driver, and value long(er) tyre wear over that marginal bit of handling, I'll continue rotating. It also helps that I remove the tyres twice a year for seasonal driving anyway so other than marking the rotation pattern there is no extra work.

Local prices may vary.

Tire shop I've used before charges $20 to rotate, and only charges that if they aren't their tires. They know well enough if I'm coming in for that that they get to remind me when the tread is lowish and I'll very likely buy tires from them.

Places with higher cost of living will be different and shop to shop will vary of course.

value long(er) tyre wear

I havent seen evidence that tires on cars with proper alignment wear longer with rotation, there is even a theory that because the contact patch is a little off, and it has to be worn down to an even patch again after a rotation, that rotated tires will wear faster.

but i agree that swamping out seasonal tires and not wasting effort otherwise doing a rotation is likely optimal. and keeping car properly aligned.

The link you posted says the cost of rotation equals any savings. Where would the savings come from if not longer tyre wear ?
It doesn't give any evidence. It just assumes the conventional wisdom of longer tire wear. And even then, under that unquestioned and unsubstantiated assumption, the Car Talk guys conclude that you shouldn't bother.

Also outside the US generally tire rotation just isn't practiced:

Tyre Rotation - Current Recommendations (the UK version of National Tire) Stating:

"Many tyre manufacturers agree that it is no longer good practice to rotate your tyres in order to extend their legal life . . . Because of this, at Kwik Fit we do not recommend tyre rotation"

The old tire rotation dogma is ripe for Tesla to join BMW to specifically advise against it in the US.

Last edited:
62C11D79-D35C-4906-96B6-F5C191C2008B.jpeg
Yes, I ended up doing it myself with two jacks and adapters. Front tires to back and across.

I know people disagree, but here's my honest belief: tire rotation is slightly dangerous and results in faster tire wear.

Each tire position wears differently, especially.. The tire wears into its position such that the contact patch becomes its widest. When it's at its widest, the rate of wear reaches a minimum. Rotate the tires and the contact patch is no longer optimum... the tire has to wear into its new position all over again. Until it does so, your stability at the limit is slightly off and your emergency handling is slightly compromised. After a rotation the tire wears into its new position, the contact patch is narrow, the contact pressure is elevated, and the tire wears more quickly.

Only if your alignment is way off, or you have a lead foot with a rwd car will tire rotation make the tires last longer.

Better to not rotate and be better able to see evidence of any alignment issues, and stop wasting the Tesla techs time in the false fantasy that you are getting couple extra months out of your tires.

Use winter tires if you have seasons, but otherwise I say trust the German bmw engineers on this one. Don't rotate the tires

Your post is complete speculative nonsense.

1. You have absolutely no empirical evidence that rotation results in faster tire wear. This conclusion is purely your untested and unverified hypothesis from your contact patch ideas.

2. You have absolutely no empirical evidence that rotation results in more dangerous handling. This conclusion is also purely your untested and unverified hypothesis. (Yes, hypothesis, it's not even a theory).

3. BMW (and many other vehicle manufacturers) pay a tire manufacturer to come up with a "BMW-specific" or "Tesla-specific" tire model that becomes the OEM tire. This optimizes handling and ride, but also gives the vehicle manufacturer a kickback on each tire sale. BMW (or Tesla, or anyone else) thus has a conflict of interest in recommending maintanance that would increase tire life. BMW's recommendation to not rotate the tires might be based on a tiny, non-noticeable technicality of handling superiority, but has zero basis in economic sense, and therefore cannot be trusted by the consumer, who may have different priorities.

4. Your own link to the Car Talk guys, whom you appear to trust as if their word was gospel, states the following:

We've always felt that tire rotation is of marginal value in terms of saving you money. Why? Because the cost of tire rotation roughly equals the amount you'd save by extending your tire life.

The Car Talk guys plainly state that tire rotation extends tire life, but they don't believe it's economically a net positive. This contradicts your first hypothesis.

Other trusted sources state that tire rotation is part of regular tire maintenance and extends tire life:

TireRack.com
Michelin
Discount Tire
Firestone
Goodyear
Tire Industry Association of America
US News and World Reports

5. Your own link to the Car Talk guys also states the following:

BMW cites safety because the front and rear tires develop different wear patterns. And for at least a little while -- until the wear evens out, which is the point of tire rotation -- you might have slightly inferior handling with newly rotated tires. ... It's a technicality, and very few drivers would ever notice it, but BMW is, technically, correct. ... Still, we see nothing wrong with rotating your tires. No harm will be done, in our opinion.

This directly contradicts your second hypothesis where you state that the handling becomes dangerous. That's pure nonsense. The handling may not be the pinnacle of optimum, but would be such that only a race car driver would notice that it's changed.

6. Based on the previous tear-down of these speculative hypotheses, the only root basis of an argument to not rotate tires is an economic one. This doesn't even apply because:

A. You can rotate tires yourself for free if you have the equipment.
B. If you don't have the equipment or do not want to rotate yourself, there are various tire shops that will rotate your tires for free. Discount Tire (also America's Tire in some locations) offers free rotation.

Both of those facts negate the economic argument.

Furthermore, whether you rotate or not, one thing you must do several times over the tire's lifetime is balance them. As tires wear, the weight distribution changes and the tires require rebalancing. You cannot spin-balance tires at home yourself without thousands of dollars worth of equipment, nor can you balance the tires while they're on the car. Thus, you are forced to take the car to a tire shop at several points during the tire's life to have them balance, and they must be removed from the car to do so. Rotation at that point is a no-brainer since the tires are already off the car.

7. Rotation not only extends tire life, it also reduces noise later in the tire's life. Wear is not the only reason to rotate.

Those take comfort in conventional wisdom and don't question it, usually aren't good Tesla customers

You have zero idea who I am or where my loyalties lie. This lowbrow insult is irrelevant and childish.

Take your non-rotation nonsense elsewhere. Your hypothetical musings are typical these days of those who simply believe whatever they want despite evidence that's right in front of them. You do a disservice to others with these mistaken faiths.

Your post is complete speculative nonsense.

1. You have absolutely no empirical evidence that rotation results in faster tire wear. This conclusion is purely your untested and unverified hypothesis from your contact patch ideas.

2. You have absolutely no empirical evidence that rotation results in more dangerous handling. This conclusion is also purely your untested and unverified hypothesis. (Yes, hypothesis, it's not even a theory).

3. BMW (and many other vehicle manufacturers) pay a tire manufacturer to come up with a "BMW-specific" or "Tesla-specific" tire model that becomes the OEM tire. This optimizes handling and ride, but also gives the vehicle manufacturer a kickback on each tire sale. BMW (or Tesla, or anyone else) thus has a conflict of interest in recommending maintanance that would increase tire life. BMW's recommendation to not rotate the tires might be based on a tiny, non-noticeable technicality of handling superiority, but has zero basis in economic sense, and therefore cannot be trusted by the consumer, who may have different priorities.

4. Your own link to the Car Talk guys, whom you appear to trust as if their word was gospel, states the following:

The Car Talk guys plainly state that tire rotation extends tire life, but they don't believe it's economically a net positive. This contradicts your first hypothesis.

Other trusted sources state that tire rotation is part of regular tire maintenance and extends tire life:

TireRack.com
Michelin
Discount Tire
Firestone
Goodyear
Tire Industry Association of America
US News and World Reports

5. Your own link to the Car Talk guys also states the following:

This directly contradicts your second hypothesis where you state that the handling becomes dangerous. That's pure nonsense. The handling may not be the pinnacle of optimum, but would be such that only a race car driver would notice that it's changed.

6. Based on the previous tear-down of these speculative hypotheses, the only root basis of an argument to not rotate tires is an economic one. This doesn't even apply because:

A. You can rotate tires yourself for free if you have the equipment.
B. If you don't have the equipment or do not want to rotate yourself, there are various tire shops that will rotate your tires for free. Discount Tire (also America's Tire in some locations) offers free rotation.

Both of those facts negate the economic argument.

Furthermore, whether you rotate or not, one thing you must do several times over the tire's lifetime is balance them. As tires wear, the weight distribution changes and the tires require rebalancing. You cannot spin-balance tires at home yourself without thousands of dollars worth of equipment, nor can you balance the tires while they're on the car. Thus, you are forced to take the car to a tire shop at several points during the tire's life to have them balance, and they must be removed from the car to do so. Rotation at that point is a no-brainer since the tires are already off the car.

7. Rotation not only extends tire life, it also reduces noise later in the tire's life. Wear is not the only reason to rotate.

You have zero idea who I am or where my loyalties lie. This lowbrow insult is irrelevant and childish.

Take your non-rotation nonsense elsewhere. Your hypothetical musings are typical these days of those who simply believe whatever they want despite evidence that's right in front of them. You do a disservice to others with these mistaken faiths.

good grief. I hit a nerve. You cite no evidence (for instance a fleet study) that tire rotation does increase tire life at all.

Even if there were some evidence it would need to show that regular rotation increases tire life:
1. even when the car is properly aligned,
2. even when proper alignment has designed in camber differences between front and rear require that a new wear pattern be achieved after every tire rotation, and
3. that the increased tire life is of a magnitude that justifies both the cost, hassle, and the BMW-cited instability after a fresh tire rotation. (BMW owner's manual states: "In the interests of safety and maintaining optimal handling characteristics, tire rotation is not recommended."

A long foot-stamping diatribe that cites no actual evidence, just appeals to authority which themselves cite no evidence, is not persuasive.

Enjoy rotating your tires, and, if you are so inclined, praying to the tire gods -- you will feel better if nothing else.

Last edited:
Even if there were some evidence it would need to show that regular rotation increases tire life
I was involved with some studies that showed an early first rotation actually reduced the possibility of uneven wear later in the tire's life. In some cases it increased the life of the tire by 20%. Unfortunately, these and similar studies are considered proprietary and aren't released.

The main purpose of subsequent tire rotations is to let all the tires wear out at the same time, so they can be replaced in sets of four. There are two reasons for this.
1. Manufacturers make subtle changes to the tires all the time, so the same model of tire purchased at different times may have different handling characteristics. (This is similar to wallpaper looking different in different batches.)
2. Handling is best when all the tires are at approximately the same tread depth.

Frequent rotation can hide alignment issues, however that is not a good reason for rotation. The underlying problems should be fixed. If irregular wear is noticed too late, then rotation can help extend the tire's life. Frequent checking of the wear patterns is more important so that problems are caught early.

If I didn't rotate my tires I would have to replace the rears much more frequently than the fronts*. That's a valid approach, I suppose, but I'd rather just get even wear and replace all four at the same time, as I have already done. I do my own rotations at home, so it costs me nothing but some time and effort. Had to buy all the tools for remote area self-rescue and for snow tire swaps anyway. [Just got a screw in a tire yesterday, so the "modern cars almost never get flats, but if it does happen just call for a rescue," stuff holds no water with me.]

* This is for a RWD Model S60 — the slowest Tesla ever made — in mountain driving. It might not be the same for a Model 3 or for flatland driving — I wouldn't know.

How did you handle the repair ?
It was a slow leak (TPMS warned me of a "very low" tire) so I pumped it up because I carry a pump and tire gauge, of course. The next stop showed it was holding ok so I drove the 35 miles home. Took the tire off and put on my spare. Will take it to a tire shop tomorrow.

If the leak had been faster I would have pulled the screw and plugged the tire since I carry a plug kit and pliers (as well as compact jack, jack pad, torque wrench, breaker bar + 21 mm socket, 12V pump/light, and folding cross tire iron — the usual stuff for life out in the boondocks).

Screw in tire2076sf 7-29-18.jpg
^ Yes, I live on a dirt road so my tires aren't clean and pretty. Nor is my car!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Easiest way to rotate your tires is to drive down the road ;) (Rotate...get it)

On a more serious note, the tires on my X are all wearing evenly. See no reason to rotate them.

If your tires are wearing unevenly you probably have an alignment issue that will not be resolved with a rotation.

Thanks. Does your tyre have foam inside ? I'd like to hear how the shop deals with these type of tyres.
No, I'm not using the foam tire model. Just have plain vanilla Goodyear Eagle RS A2 -- same as the OEM tires. (I get about 27k to 30k miles on tires, given where I live, over all my cars the last two decades.)

Last edited: