Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you use instantaneous power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@brec, if you don't really care about efficiency, instantaneous power might not be too useful. However, when you are trying to drive in a manner to maximize efficiency (and thus range), it can come in very handy. For example, keeping the instantaneous power below 40 kWh when accelerating, rather than punching it to 160 kWh or more, will give you better overall range. It isn't as much fun, of course, but if you're on a trip and you're trying to be careful, it is useful in helping more quickly monitor your efficiency. At the other end of the scale, though, owners of the P90D with ludicrous might care about just how fast they can get it to peak and at what value.

Yes, I really miss the center power meter. The little one on the side is too hard to monitor while driving. I'm trying to let it go. But I have now owned the car long enough to know that gentle accel and decel are the key to range. Obvious, I know. But hard to practice because the car is so smooth that I often don't realize how fast I am accelerating.

In this instance, I am glad to not have autopilot. I use the power reading all the time to minimize my power usage. I generally try to keep my power at or below 30 kW. My lifetime number on my P85 is 244 Wh/mi.
^^^^This. I'm also glad I don't have autopilot. While I don't do quite as good as Sparrow, efficiency is still important to me--even when I'm using free energy from an SC or destination charger.

Yay, I also have an old car with no auto-pilot, so I got to keep the old display. Many years of driving hybrids have built habits with me. I'm almost at 20K miles, and my lifetime efficiency is about 308 wh/mile. 244 is freaking impressive, Sparrow! So you apparently don't use the P part of that P85 much, eh?

It's not necessary to have a detailed scale for this but I use the power meter in snowy conditions to manage my regen so I'm not braking the rear wheels too much through turns. It's the one time where I miss the feedback I get from a brake pedal.

In this instance, I am glad to not have autopilot. I use the power reading all the time to minimize my power usage. I generally try to keep my power at or below 30 kW. My lifetime number on my P85 is 244 Wh/mi.

Sparrow - just curious, do you live in a particularly flat area? While I'm new to Tesla, I've played around with trying to drive as efficiently as possible on a few of my drives to and from work. However, my commute is fairly hilly, so I find my power meter creeping up to 50-75kW with VERY moderate acceleration going uphill. I think I was still in the low 300 Wh/Mi trying to be a gentle as possible.

No the Atlanta area is not particularly flat and yes I do go over 30 kW going up hills, but I always attempt to stay below 30 unless I start losing speed too quickly. If you are not watching the gauge it is very easy to use way more power than you really need because the S delivers it so smoothly.

Sparrow - just curious, do you live in a particularly flat area? While I'm new to Tesla, I've played around with trying to drive as efficiently as possible on a few of my drives to and from work. However, my commute is fairly hilly, so I find my power meter creeping up to 50-75kW with VERY moderate acceleration going uphill. I think I was still in the low 300 Wh/Mi trying to be a gentle as possible.

It takes a fair bit of practice. Also there is a bit of new car break-in. Slow starts and stops, easy on hills, and proper tire pressures are the key (plus lots of practice). I didn't get a 60 mpg tank on my 2004 Prius for two years, the last full year averaged over 69 mpg (16,000 miles).