Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the video it seems like he indicates that the trunk opening will be larger come final design. I basically interpreted "prototype hardware" to mean "we just fudged something together to make it all fit together for now".

I think the "prototype hardware" might have been in reference to the rectangular box area on the inside (lift-side). I'm a bit disappointed with the opening size, but if the "box" goes away there would be a better chance of fitting my golf clubs in.

I think the "prototype hardware" might have been in reference to the rectangular box area on the inside (lift-side). I'm a bit disappointed with the opening size, but if the "box" goes away there would be a better chance of fitting my golf clubs in.

Yeah, I don't know how much the opening will change. It looks like it's part of the frame based on the structure pictures on the presentation behind Elon during the announcement. I have to assume the frame will be one of the first things finalized if it isn't already.

I agree, no worse than what I have now in cars in a similar size range.

I was just envious over the S trunk area :)

and i guess that's how tesla will diff the models for now. want more cargo? spend more money. but i do hope eventually for a smaller version with more cargo space.

i currently drive a prius so im really used to hatchback but i could get used to this, and i guess if i really need more space i can go up to a model s :p

Anyone have a picture of how hatch area of the Bolt works and how much space it has? Although ugly compared to the Model 3, the Bolt might work better with families with dogs. I will probably just wait and hope for better with the Model Y.

Indeed model Y should be the hatchback version of Model 3. I'll want one hatchback in the family at all times. Right now that is the 2005 Prius. The trunk on the model 3 means I can't get rid of the Prius so I'll have to drop the leaf if I get a model 3 or I'll have to get a CPO model S to hold me over until model Y and allow me to drop the Prius.

I don't know, I guess I'll have to play with laying down seats on the leaf, it has a smaller "trunk area" than the Prius so I've assumed it won't do what I want.

Registered for the 3 in the London store. No lines here but a steady stream of people throughout the day. The small trunk (boot) opening is definitely going to be an issue here in the UK and Europe where hatches are much more popular and practical. I've seen a few people saying they will be cancelling due to this issue.

The trunk has to change as it does not look practical. The most troublesome in my view is the hatch that does not lift high enough so you can approach trunk space standing up.

Speaking of caring things, does anyone know if car will have roof rack or rear hitch?

Registered for the 3 in the London store. No lines here but a steady stream of people throughout the day. The small trunk (boot) opening is definitely going to be an issue here in the UK and Europe where hatches are much more popular and practical. I've seen a few people saying they will be cancelling due to this issue.
While I do think it will look similar in the final design I think its silly to cancel now, things COULD change. But if they want/need their $1000 back then more power to them.

I'm a little bit disappointed with the trunk. I'm not sure that my bike will fit in the car. On normal cars i will just attach a towbar for the bikes. but with non off this avaiable on the model 3, i will have some doubts to pay the rest of the money when the car is ready.
I hope they will fix it or prove a normal bike will fit. its a dealbreaker for at least 1 of the 2 cars i have reserved.

For comparison:

BMW 3 Series:
2011-bmw-3-series-4-door-sedan-328i-rwd-trunk_100311690_l.jpg

Audi A4:
2015-audi-a6-door-trunk.jpg

Mercedes C Class:
-557816597-1425510550375.

• Informative
Reactions: JER
Tesla will probably play with the length of the rear glass dipping down into the trunk lid, as a direct trade-off for opening size (and rearward visibility).

Shorter glass, less sExy, but more function.

It wouldn't take too much shortening of the glass to equal that BMW 3 trunk opening allowance.

But upon seeing these trunks on the Tesla 3 and the BMW 3, further justifies in my mind why I like the S sized hatch. So easy to USE the space.

I lived with a shitty small car before where trunk opening was hugely restricting the size of what I could get in there. With seats folded, ya, you could slide a very flat long thing in there... but it didn't take much height of the package to "wedge" the insertion against the trunk upper limit. As it was with that car, and with this model 3, a lot of stuff (of any height - like a dog kennel) is going to be side door loaded and sit on the back of a folded seat.

I'd like to see the hatch option on the 3. The "Tall 3" or "SU3" (SUE?) or Model Y, or whatever they will call it.

Last edited: