Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How flush is everyones rear hatch glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver side hatch used to be a little bit higher than the roof while the passenger side was flush at delivery. Service Center was able to lower the driver side.

IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG

Oh ya that is off for sure, did they offer to replace or did you have to push?

Mine is pretty bowed when looking at it from the other side, going to see if they will replace.
They didn't even fight it. They just said it was out of spec and that they needed to order the top glass and hatch glass when they reset it in case they break the current one.

They kept the car for 2 full days and the invoice said they had to replace both of the glass pieces.

It's pretty good now, I'm happy.

They didn't even fight it. They just said it was out of spec and that they needed to order the top glass and hatch glass when they reset it in case they break the current one.

They kept the car for 2 full days and the invoice said they had to replace both of the glass pieces.

It's pretty good now, I'm happy.

That is good to hear! Hoping the same goes for mine, probably my biggest exterior complaint.

Thank you for the information!

Reactions: Young Phenom
I also searched and found this old thread. My liftgate glass looks just like Za_c's pictures on June 26, 2020.

I will bring this to SC's attention. @EvilStryke, it seems that we have some similar bad experiences. Mine has obvious wind noise from the rear once it gets 25 mph.

Last edited:
Tesla replaced my Model Y's roof glass. Roof and hatch are flush now, The waved wind noise (air buffeting) is gone. However, there is this excessive wind noise above 25 mph. There is also a rubber seal gap on the roof glass. I cannot feel the boom because of the wind noise, or the boom might be fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
I took delivery the end of Sept 2022 right before I was leaving on a 3 week trip. The rear hatch metal part on the side was a little crooked near the top hinge and the center of the hatch glass protruded up above the roof glass panel just like yours. The rest of the hatch was perfectly aligned on the sides, taillights, etc. They aligned the hatch metal part and the hatch glass protruded even higher than before. The hatch glass was fully above the roof glass...not a good situation. They replaced the rear hatch glass and the hatch itself is still perfectly aligned with the taillights,sides, etc. but the hatch glass is still a hair above the roof glass but way, way better than before. They stated that it's "in spec". It's kind of hard to notice but if you run your fingers over it you can feel it. They said they could try to adjust it more but said the perfect fit of the rest of the hatch may be messed up. I told them I was OK with it the way it turned out.

Whenever I see a Model Y I look at the hatch/roof glass interface. Some are perfectly flush and some have the rear hatch glass a little higher than the roof glass....it's about 50/50. About half the new Model Ys at the showroom also have the same issue. Some of the new ones are still more out of alignment than what mine eventually was corrected to. Before I took delivery I had noticed this trend and hoped that my car would have a flush roof/hatch glass interface but it is what it is. The tiny amount of non-laminar airflow the mismatch probably induces is nothing compared to what is created by front license plate or the folded wipers...I am ok with it. I never heard any noise before that could be attributed to the mismatch before or after the fix.

Hope this helps....
Scott