Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good was your CPO deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who found great CPO deals that weren't part of the higher-mileage sale that happened two weeks ago, did you work with your regional CPO sales rep. to find unlisted cars? I'm on the fence about waiting until who-knows-when for a Model 3 D (placed deposit 2 hours after stores opened on day-1) or getting an AP1 Model S D instead.

For those of you who found great CPO deals that weren't part of the higher-mileage sale that happened two weeks ago, did you work with your regional CPO sales rep. to find unlisted cars? I'm on the fence about waiting until who-knows-when for a Model 3 D (placed deposit 2 hours after stores opened on day-1) or getting an AP1 Model S D instead.
I initially reached to the general CPO email after I saw one that caught my eyes. Then Derek, my CPO guy called me back and I asked him a few questions. I told him what I was looking for and after we hung up, he emailed me a few links that weren't posted on the Tesla website. The one I ended up buying just stood out so much compared to the ones listed on the site. Feel free to reach out to him as I've been raving about his service overall. His number is (510) 557-3583.

It maybe a bit off topic but is 3G unbearable? The option to upgrade to LTE is $700. I'm debating.

It used to be $500 for a long time. I've done it twice for that. I'm surprised it's gone up $200 for no real reason.

I've spoke with a tech about this and they do not believe LTE upgrade will make a huge improvement on the older cars as its mainly the MCU processor that is holding back performance. I'm still on 3G and everything works just fine, just have to reboot the MCU when it starts to feel sluggish like any other computer.

There are many existing threads on this topic, and it's a religious one. Many many people (myself included) have seen significant improvements in the speed with the LTE upgrade, namely for Nav tile redraws and streaming audio. Browser speed is unaffected because the browser itself is the bottleneck there, not the processor or the network connection.

Also, the MCU processor is the same in all cars, AFAIK, it hasn't been upgraded. Whatever that tech told you is highly suspect, as the LTE upgrade made a huge difference in my 2013 P85+ as well as my 2015 P85D.

But OTOH, other people have noticed no difference with the upgrade. That's because LTE vs 3G speed is highly dependent on several factors unrelated to the car or MCU. Like local cell tower coverage, cell traffic levels, weather, terrain, sunspots, etc.

I'd ask again or a different service center what the LTE upgrade cost is. I'd do it again in an instant for $500.

Reactions: JonG
To see whether the LTE upgrade will make a difference, create a wireless hotspot on an LTE phone and connect the car to it.

People have tried that, and even still, it may or may not show a noticeable difference. At that point, the difference between a real wifi signal and a wifi->LTE signal would be almost indistinguishable. So just do the test with a wifi connection as see if you notice a difference.

This test would also demonstrate that the speed of the MCU, even in "older cars" is irrelevant.

People have tried that, and even still, it may or may not show a noticeable difference. At that point, the difference between a real wifi signal and a wifi->LTE signal would be almost indistinguishable. So just do the test with a wifi connection as see if you notice a difference.

This test would also demonstrate that the speed of the MCU, even in "older cars" is irrelevant.

So I can actually chime in on this - 1) I have a 2015 85D CPO, they upgraded to LTE for 300 bucks when I picked up the car.

2) I just dropped my car off at the service center to get some minor paint work done and have a 2014 with 3G loaner, its not a vast difference but it is a bit sluggish compared to LTE...I would get the upgrade again at that price...700 is a bit steep though.

I've spoke with a tech about this and they do not believe LTE upgrade will make a huge improvement on the older cars as its mainly the MCU processor that is holding back performance. I'm still on 3G and everything works just fine, just have to reboot the MCU when it starts to feel sluggish like any other computer.
Model S MCU hasn't changed since the beginning. Responsiveness changes from software version to software version, but is generally slow. LTE vs 3G gives a little more usable speed (barely noticeable), but its biggest benefit is greater coverage. I upgraded my 2015 MS and noticed better coverage, in one specific spot, a parking lot of a grocery store I go to, 3G I would often have problems connecting to the car to pre-heat/cool it, but with LTE no problems ever.

As the inspiration, I'd better chime in, LOL!

85 kWh Model S
Blue Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Silver Cyclone Wheels
Black Textile Seats
Piano Black Décor
Standard Headliner
Free Supercharging
Dual Chargers
Tech Package
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
61K miles
$40,500

The only thing we are sorry about not being able to get is the subzero weather package. But the cheapest one with it was $3k more, and that's well more than the price of that upgrade new (not to mention the other car specs weren't as good). Very strange how their pricing on CPO's can be all over the place and nonsensical at times. Otherwise we are thrilled to get an S85 in an acceptable color (which for us is basically only blue or red, LOL), with textile seats (yes, I know I'm in the minority), 19" wheels, tech, and UHFS.

As the inspiration, I'd better chime in, LOL!

85 kWh Model S
Blue Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Silver Cyclone Wheels
Black Textile Seats
Piano Black Décor
Standard Headliner
Free Supercharging
Dual Chargers
Tech Package
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
61K miles
$40,500

The only thing we are sorry about not being able to get is the subzero weather package. But the cheapest one with it was $3k more, and that's well more than the price of that upgrade new (not to mention the other car specs weren't as good). Very strange how their pricing on CPO's can be all over the place and nonsensical at times. Otherwise we are thrilled to get an S85 in an acceptable color (which for us is basically only blue or red, LOL), with textile seats (yes, I know I'm in the minority), 19" wheels, tech, and UHFS.
Welcome!! You're right that very rarely do we see textile seats. How are they working out for you?? I'm a leather guy. Love my leather chairs, leather accessories, and watch straps.

Welcome!! You're right that very rarely do we see textile seats. How are they working out for you?? I'm a leather guy. Love my leather chairs, leather accessories, and watch straps.
Don't have it yet... :) But it's pretty clear from the TMC posts from people that have them, love them. Too many people think leather is a requirement for luxury in their minds. I thought we'd have to "settle" for leather, but we managed to luck out!

This could be a dumb question but looking for this threads opinion. I just heard back from my CPO advisor today on the question I sent him asking if the Drive Unit had ever been replaced on my CPO that is currently going through reconditioning. He told me that yes the DU has previously been replaced and the car also has the "newer generation battery". I am guessing both of these facts are good news? Any reason to be concerned now that I know the DU has been replaced? Any follow up questions I should be asking about the DU to my CPO advisor? Thanks Tesla Nation...

62k miles
85D
Black
Black leather seats
Black alcantara headliner
Piano black decor
19 cyclones
Glass roof
Tech with auto pilot
SAS
Premium interior
High fidelity speakers
Sub zero

64k price. Worried of the high mileage and 2 yr warranty but thought it was a good deal. Picking up next week.

Reactions: byeLT4 and No ICE
Is it possible to purchase a warranty beyond the standard CPO warranty, either at delivery or later on?

No, that is not possible as far as I know

This could be a dumb question but looking for this threads opinion. I just heard back from my CPO advisor today on the question I sent him asking if the Drive Unit had ever been replaced on my CPO that is currently going through reconditioning. He told me that yes the DU has previously been replaced and the car also has the "newer generation battery". I am guessing both of these facts are good news? Any reason to be concerned now that I know the DU has been replaced? Any follow up questions I should be asking about the DU to my CPO advisor? Thanks Tesla Nation...

No worries. I had a DU replaced and was glad for it since I should have one of the more reliable newer units now.

Reactions: Black_P85
Don't have it yet... :) But it's pretty clear from the TMC posts from people that have them, love them. Too many people think leather is a requirement for luxury in their minds. I thought we'd have to "settle" for leather, but we managed to luck out!
I have Textile seats. Was super worried initially, but then I went to a Tesla Store and saw them in person; worries went out the window. They look and feel great. Still look luxurious.