Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How likely is an upcoming price change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They removed Homelink ($300), NEMA 14-50 adapter ($35) and the USB cables from the premium interior ($28) and recently increased the price by $400 for all models. So, there is $763 price increase the Premium interior models, which became a little less premium. The SR+ doesn't even have floor mats, which is cheesy IMO. They should just include the cheap ones and raise the price of the car $100.

That said, even if they drop the price $500-$1000 they are ready offset it by removing some content.

Tesla changes their prices all the damn time. However, don't expect a price drop -- the current trend is to increase the price and remove features.

They got more orders in Q2 than the number of cars they managed to deliver. Their order backlog is *increasing*. They have absolutely no reason to cut the price, and every reason to raise the price.

They got more orders in Q2 than the number of cars they managed to deliver. Their order backlog is *increasing*. They have absolutely no reason to cut the price, and every reason to raise the price.

Not only that, with the latest tax credit cliff behind them I expect they'll be building for overseas delivery in large part for at least the first part of Q3, with plenty enough US demand at current pricing for the #s they'll be building for domestic sale

Reactions: Jazz3D
They removed Homelink ($300), NEMA 14-50 adapter ($35) and the USB cables from the premium interior ($28) and recently increased the price by $400 for all models. So, there is $763 price increase the Premium interior models, which became a little less premium. The SR+ doesn't even have floor mats, which is cheesy IMO. They should just include the cheap ones and raise the price of the car $100.

That said, even if they drop the price $500-$1000 they are ready offset it by removing some content.

Hi

You can save the $100 and purchase our new all weather floor mats for Model 3. They have been very well received by the market and everyone who has bought them loves them for the quality and value. Most importantly, the our mats are better than OEM ones that Tesla can offer at a fraction of the price.

Now they are on special for $79.99 on amazon. You can check out the forum responses.

Vendor - Road Comforts All Weather Custom Fit Mats - $79.99 for Model 3

link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MGXB2G4

Thanks!

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: GSP and wcfree
Q2 production 87K
Q2 Sales 95K

You only lower a price to spur sales when production capacity (supply) outpaces sales (demand).

Demand will probably go down in the near term because of the drop in the tax credit.
Probably not much since the absolute dollar amount is a far lower drop than it was last qt. Also this has no effect on export sales and they are just starting to tap many markets and worldwide demand looks strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
And that's a LOT less than every other car out there, where you can find 40 different prices in a day at the same dealer.

Companies like Truecar have built a whole business around this price fluctuation phenomenon. Their whole goal is to help buyers identify the price folks are actually paying for vehicles. The Tesla sales model is going to put them out of business. ;)

Reactions: GSP
Could you post a link where dealers change MSRP more than once in a quarter? Thanks.

Agreed, that rarely ever happens. Only during new model year changes and it comes form the manufacturer, not the dealer.

It took me a little while to get my head wrapped around the Tesla sales model since I have been used to traditional car dealerships for so many years. The dealers can do whatever they want, market adjustment markups, crazy fees for pinstripes, nitrogen filled tires, paint protection (coat of wax), tire warranties, etc. as they try to turn a profit and survive.

Since Tesla is using a direct sales model they are both manufacturer and dealer and this really flips things around. Most of it seems for the better but seeing a manufacturer make quarterly, monthly or even weekly changes to prices and vehicle content takes a little getting used to since you don’t really see that from other manufacturers except at model year changes.

Reactions: GSP and T3SLAROD
Could you post a link where dealers change MSRP more than once in a quarter? Thanks.

"MSRP" at a regular dealer means nothing and you know that. Additionally, the price is changed not only by the dealers, but by the manufacturers with factory to customer AND factory to dealer incentives, at least monthly.

Factory to customer national incentives (december to remember, july 4th bash, etc etc) ARE a reduction in vehicle price, for everyone where the incentive applies. So, even if one is a person who pays full MSRP for their other cars (which I doubt many here are), even paying full MSRP one would still get whatever incentives are in play that month.

Lease & Finance Offers - BMW USA ("summer on" sales event)
Lexus Incentives, Rebates and Lease Deals for July 2019
Special Offers . ("summer scorchers" event)
Summer of Audi Sales Event | Specials & Offers | Audi USA ("summer of audi" sales event)

I could post more links to more sales events from major car manufacturers. Most of these are lease offers or rebate offers, but most of us know that these offers are based off MSRP so if both you and I go there to get the same deal, they wont have the offer car in stock (and the offer car is usually a base model), and the dealer will try like heck to "move" you to an in stock car, AND both you and I would get different prices on that same car.... even with the national incentives lowering the "MSRP" for both of us.

Of all the arguments people make about tesla (and there are plenty of valid ones, believe me), the "they change the price too much, what other manufacturer does that" one is silly, because they ALL do it, ALL the time, the programs just have different names.

"MSRP" at a regular dealer means nothing and you know that. Additionally, the price is changed not only by the dealers, but by the manufacturers with factory to customer AND factory to dealer incentives, at least monthly.

Factory to customer national incentives (december to remember, july 4th bash, etc etc) ARE a reduction in vehicle price, for everyone where the incentive applies. So, even if one is a person who pays full MSRP for their other cars (which I doubt many here are), even paying full MSRP one would still get whatever incentives are in play that month.

Lease & Finance Offers - BMW USA ("summer on" sales event)
Lexus Incentives, Rebates and Lease Deals for July 2019
Special Offers . ("summer scorchers" event)
Summer of Audi Sales Event | Specials & Offers | Audi USA ("summer of audi" sales event)

I could post more links to more sales events from major car manufacturers. Most of these are lease offers or rebate offers, but most of us know that these offers are based off MSRP so if both you and I go there to get the same deal, they wont have the offer car in stock (and the offer car is usually a base model), and the dealer will try like heck to "move" you to an in stock car, AND both you and I would get different prices on that same car.... even with the national incentives lowering the "MSRP" for both of us.

Of all the arguments people make about tesla (and there are plenty of valid ones, believe me), the "they change the price too much, what other manufacturer does that" one is silly, because they ALL do it, ALL the time, the programs just have different names.

No, it means thats the starting point of negotiation and what we can expect to pay for a certain model or trim. And really the starting point should always be invoice.

With Tesla your starting point can change with a Tweet. But all Manufacturers do it.... with Tweets.....

Again, is Tesla trying to be better than everyone else or just go with the norm?

No, it means thats the starting point of negotiation and what we can expect to pay for a certain model or trim. And really the starting point should always be invoice.

With Tesla your starting point can change with a Tweet. But all Manufacturers do it.... with Tweets.....

Again, is Tesla trying to be better than everyone else or just go with the norm?

Yeah because the "starting point" for negotiations on a car purchase should be what the dealer pays, or "invoice" (but "invoice" at a regular car dealer means exactly ZERO. It has nothing to do with what they actually will pay for the car, due to rebates and incentives and trunk money etc etc).

On my last BMW, in January of this year, I paid 2500 under "invoice" before any of my incentives were applied (loyalty, whatever X3 incentive was on at the time, etc). I actually paid close to 5k under "invoice" to lease that car, or around 10k off, with base money factor, etc. "invoice" means nothing at many car dealers. Does anyone actually think the dealer I did business with actually lost 5k on my deal? Not likely, right?

Back to the point I made. Every time I make this point here (that its silly to get mad about price changes on teslas because for some reason people expect that tesla can operate different than EVERY other business and hold prices indefinitely for some reason), someone normally brings up "tesla is trying to be better, right?".

They appear to me to be, yes. Its much simpler to buy a tesla than other cars. No "trip to the finance office" to "say no" to Paint protection, wheel protection, leather protection, window etching, and extended warranty pitches that are big (BIG BIG) money makers at ICE dealerships. For the most part, people pay around the same price for the same car bought on the same day.

You can even return it (with a bunch of hassle) within 7 days. In california at least, once you drive off the lot (the tires hit the pavement outside the lot) after signing for the deal, that car is YOURS and you are very unlikely to unwind any deal.

So yeah, they are different.. "mostly".. but no business can keep their pricing the same indefinitely, and cars in specific have price changes every DAY at a dealership, and at least once a month from the manufacturer itself in the form of rebates.

You just dont see it because they always say "speak to your dealer for details" and the dealer is not going to tell everyone that "this month we get an extra 4k off each BMW 6 series to move them because those things are albatrosses that dont sell... we might get a sucker who doesnt know about it and we can keep that money, yay!".

With a tesla, because you buy from the manufacturer, almost every price change is transparent (not all, because those demo cars, or other cars that people score deals on are still things someone has to "find" for you).

Like I said, there are plenty of other things one can get rightfully upset about with tesla, but this "tesla changes the price too much" one holds almost no water.

One more thing... I say this as someone who bought a Model 3 performance on December 4th of 2018, and watched the price get dropped on that model a couple different times now. With everything on my contract, the cost of my car was 78k (thats tax, license / registration etc, destination, and EAP but NO FSD at the time).

I got the 7500 tax credit, 2500 california credit, and about 1k in other local credits on my charger install an a clean air one. The same car is cheaper now. Thats how it goes. I paid attention here and got the fire sale price for FSD for 2k. Others who bought when I did, who added FSD at purchase, paid more for it than I did... although I believe in my case it ended up being 1k cheaper how I got it than buying FSD at purchase.

So my car all in was 80k before rebates / tax credits, and 70k with those. Someone buying before the end of june saved money over me, even with the lower tax credit. It just works like that sometimes, and I dont understand why people expect to always have paid LESS than someone else for their car.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP