Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you to get used to the stalk-less turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you not have roundabouts and parallel parking in Germany?
Sure. I am now working on using the buttons with my right hand when the wheel is turned upside down.

I can already do it after driving the Highland for almost a week. It still takes me a second to make sure, but it seems obvious that in another week I will operate the buttons blindly with either hand, no matter how the wheel is turned.

The human brain is good at such things. It just needs a little time to take it in. No reason to worry. Everybody will learn it after a couple of weeks at most. You have to keep doing it, however. Initially you have to force yourself. It was the same after the indicator stalk had been invented.

Reactions: Yelobird
Before you build an opinion, drive the Highland for at least two weeks and become conversant with pressing the buttons with your right hand when the wheel is turned upside down. You will find that it is no problem, actually better than the stalks.

It is stupid to say, I don't like it, before actually being able to judge.

Before you build an opinion, drive the Highland for at least two weeks and become conversant with pressing the buttons with your right hand when the wheel is turned upside down. You will find that it is no problem, actually better than the stalks.

I have to say that the buttons on the steering wheel are definitely "doable", i.e., will get used to them, but hell no they are not better.

If they really wanted to "improve" it for the user, Tesla would provide both: stalks AND on-steering wheel buttons. That's how normal car manufacturers do things, they offer you gear levers on the stereering wheel AND in the gear selector, not just one choice on the steering wheel.

But we will live with just on-wheel buttons, but it just isn't better.

Everyone can experience it for themselves, how easy it is to change following distance or volume or radio station while spinning the steering wheel in a tight roundabout. You will survive it, but it just isn't an improvement to put turning signals into the same washin cycles.

Everyone can experience it for themselves, how easy it is to change following distance or volume or radio station while spinning the steering wheel in a tight roundabout. You will survive it, but it just isn't an improvement to put turning signals into the same washin cycles.
Yep, that’s just searching for a question to make your predetermined “answer” sound right. You have to do all that while in a roundabout, really?

Reactions: Yelobird
Yep, that’s just searching for a question to make your predetermined “answer” sound right. You have to do all that while in a roundabout, really?

You need the blinkers in a roundabout so it is an equivalent test case. Ofcourse you an do without also, the police will unlikely cite a ticket for it.

Anyways, my main point was that not having the stalks is an annoyance, not a show stopper.

Reactions: AAKEE

Context: we've been behind the yokes of our multiple Palladium MS's since late 2021.

The lack of a turn signal stalk, and the absurd non-functional horn button (which moves to a new position with every turn of the yoke), remain as never-ending safety threats.

How this absurdity made it onto an actual consumer product would normally be a mystery, but for the fact that we're talking about Tesla. What Elon says is what happens at Tesla, or "you're fired" is the likely outcome as he does not take criticism or suggestions that counter his desires very well (or so I would guess).

The net result is that some of his most childlike fantasies (such as a video game yoke) end up on Teslas . . . and the turn signal buttons: how often does one need to use turn signals in a video game?

Look, Elon has done more to save our planet's future than anyone else on the planet; and I greatly respect him for that. However, he lost it on this one. The sooner an adult at Tesla can fix this, the better.

At least on the Highland Tesla lost the joke yoke, AND there's an actual horn button on the airbag assembly, so that's something. Those of us with Pallidum S's and X's shouldn't have to wait years for a fix on a safety defect.

Reactions: dsm363 and msm859
Context: we've been behind the yokes of our multiple Palladium MS's since late 2021.

The lack of a turn signal stalk, and the absurd non-functional horn button (which moves to a new position with every turn of the yoke), remain as never-ending safety threats.

How this absurdity made it onto an actual consumer product would normally be a mystery, but for the fact that we're talking about Tesla. What Elon says is what happens at Tesla, or "you're fired" is the likely outcome as he does not take criticism or suggestions that counter his desires very well (or so I would guess).

The net result is that some of his most childlike fantasies (such as a video game yoke) end up on Teslas . . . and the turn signal buttons: how often does one need to use turn signals in a video game?

Look, Elon has done more to save our planet's future than anyone else on the planet; and I greatly respect him for that. However, he lost it on this one. The sooner an adult at Tesla can fix this, the better.

At least on the Highland Tesla lost the joke yoke, AND there's an actual horn button on the airbag assembly, so that's something. Those of us with Pallidum S's and X's shouldn't have to wait years for a fix on a safety defect.
This is ultimately a debate nobody will win as no change or lack of change will Ever please everyone. Technically Everyone had a choice to not buy if this was sooo concerning. For me I rather like the change. Having my hand planted on a millisecond explosive during a potential accident just seems like a wrong idea that just stuck because it‘s what was done. Nothing like a fist to the face to resist change! Moving my thumb 1/4” to actuate a turn signal vs removing most of my hand to reach for a stick just makes better sense. Needing a big metal stick to shift an imaginary transmission vs letting the car automatically do it for me seems like a complain for the sake of complaining yelp. I resisted seatbelts for years but with just a little trading I do it without a thought or effort. Change for some can be hard. If it’s truly that painful to learn new things, not buying is your best option. To say sliding your hand with no thought to cover (not press) the buttons to honk seems pretty simple to me.

Reactions: Midpack
This is ultimately a debate nobody will win as no change or lack of change will Ever please everyone. Technically Everyone had a choice to not buy if this was sooo concerning. For me I rather like the change. Having my hand planted on a millisecond explosive during a potential accident just seems like a wrong idea that just stuck because it‘s what was done. Nothing like a fist to the face to resist change! Moving my thumb 1/4” to actuate a turn signal vs removing most of my hand to reach for a stick just makes better sense. Needing a big metal stick to shift an imaginary transmission vs letting the car automatically do it for me seems like a complain for the sake of complaining yelp. I resisted seatbelts for years but with just a little trading I do it without a thought or effort. Change for some can be hard. If it’s truly that painful to learn new things, not buying is your best option. To say sliding your hand with no thought to cover (not press) the buttons to honk seems pretty simple to me.
Perhaps if you drove in locations with traffic circles and traffic you might appreciate having a centrally mounted horn button.

As it stands now, the horn, and often the turn signals, are impossible to find whenever the yoke or steering wheel are turned.

It is NOT a question of ancestor worship--it's all about a major Human Factor Engineering failure at Tesla with negative safety implications (and a CEO that has an excessive attraction to video games).

Wasn't thrilled with the idea of turn signal buttons and on-screen gear selector when I ordered my MS. Now, roughly 5 months later, I've come to like the turn signals quite a bit; the gear selector less.

W/r/t the turn signals. They've gotten much better with software updates. At delivery, the hit zones were pretty small, which meant I couldn't activate the turn signals consistently. Software updates have completely fixed this issue. The entire surface of the area left of the airbag is touch sensitive. Now, the turn signal hit zone is much bigger. That means you don't need to press directly on the lighted icon for it to work (in fact, you can be pretty far off from the icon). With my hands in the 3 and 9 position, I'm consistently able to activate the left turn signal with the bottom of my thumb; right turn signal with tip of my thumb. That's made made a big fan of the turn signal buttons.

W/r/t the gear selector. My opinion on that is still somewhat negative. I've gotten used to it (took my MS in for service today and have a M3 loaner and had to stop myself from swiping the screen to change gears). But two issues remain: First, for 3-point/Y turns, it can be hard to swipe vertically while the car is moving (especially when there's a lateral component to that motion). Second, you have to swipe up for drive and down for reverse. That's unlike any Tesla with stalks where up is reverse and down is drive. Real risk of control confusion if you swap between a 3, Y, or pre-Palladium S/X with any regularity.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Perhaps if you drove in locations with traffic circles and traffic you might appreciate having a centrally mounted horn button.

As it stands now, the horn, and often the turn signals, are impossible to find whenever the yoke or steering wheel are turned.

It is NOT a question of ancestor worship--it's all about a major Human Factor Engineering failure at Tesla with negative safety implications (and a CEO that has an excessive attraction to video games).
Yeah, there’s No traffic in Chicago! You are so right….. As any traffic circle only requires a Right only signal to exit the difficult training is rather a simple issue to overcome. As most drivers travel less then 1% of a week in a traffic circle (compared to actual driving) I feel this argument is less the concerning to be honest.

Yeah, there’s No traffic in Chicago! You are so right….. As any traffic circle only requires a Right only signal to exit the difficult training is rather a simple issue to overcome. As most drivers travel less then 1% of a week in a traffic circle (compared to actual driving) I feel this argument is less the concerning to be honest.
We'll have to agree to disagree then . . . but when you have to find something acceptable only if you live in an area with limited traffic circles, one would think there's a design defect there, no?

And, of course, heaven forbid you ever need your horn with the yoke or wheel off-center--that's certainly a rarity too . . . no need to worry about that.

We'll have to agree to disagree then . . . but when you have to find something acceptable only if you live in an area with limited traffic circles, one would think there's a design defect there, no?

And, of course, heaven forbid you ever need your horn with the yoke or wheel off-center--that's certainly a rarity too . . . no need to worry about that.
Hasn’t been an issue yet granted I rarely drive around randomly honking my horn. In fact I’m trying to remember the last time I needed to. dont remember any sorry.

Hasn’t been an issue yet granted I rarely drive around randomly honking my horn. In fact I’m trying to remember the last time I needed to. dont remember any sorry.
Well, rarity in the need of an emergency device is something that we have in common.

The difference is that as a Human Factors Engineer by training, and a commercial pilot by profession, the abject stupidity of the decisions that have created this outcome bother the Hell out of me. It is uncommon for Tesla engineers to be this stupid, so we'll have to place the blame elsewhere.

While they thankfully fixed it for the Highland updated M3, we'll have to agree to disagree on the MS/MX. Glad you'll never need to use your horn in a real-world Emergency--wish we could all be so fortunate . . . .