Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you to get used to the stalk-less turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious, how does a button on the Back of a moving Yoke improve use over say using the arrow button they put 1/4” away from your thumb holding the wheel?
I think it works just like a paddle shifter, where you activate with the index or middle finger of your hand. Left side turns on left blinker, right side turns on right blinker. May be a bit more “natural” to figure out, especially when the wheel is turned. It seems like a clever idea that @AAKEE suggested.

I don’t have any issues with the turn signals, but am considering doing this.

How quick do S3XY buttons turn on/off turn signals after button push?
Sometimes there is a noticeble delay on the first activation of the turn signal on a drive. Maybe 0.5-1S. After that, its not noticeble for the turn signl on/off.
The horn (i use a short horn for single press and two ultra short for double press of the button) has a slight noticeble delay most times. Maybe 0.5s, bit seldom used = first press on that drive on most times used.
The lag could be lower with shorter time, but not a big issue. I wouldnt make it with delay if I made it.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Do you have a pic?
IMG_5916.jpeg

The stock attatchment is supposed to be some kind of removable slime. Did not stick well to the yoke so I just tried out the position with that, and when I knew where to have them i removed the slime and used permanent dual sided 3M tape.
IMG_5917.jpeg

Curious, how does a button on the Back of a moving Yoke improve use over say using the arrow button they put 1/4” away from your thumb holding the wheel?
Did you read the thread? :)

Imagine driving inside a small roundabout, and planning to exit. The steering wheel is now turned upside down between 180 to 270 degrees turned from straight and level flight.
When you would like to use the turn signal for the exit your fingers can not find the very flat non tactile arrows.
If you try to look, you can not see easy because your right arm is in between (in a left hand roundabout for right hand traffic).
If you anyhow are able to see them, your brain will pick to arrow pointing to the right (as you’re about to turn right) but the yoke is upside down so right means left and vice versa. You are supposed to activate the turnnsignal with the left thumb, both for left and right turns.

Regardless if you could see it or not, the grip you have on the yoke with the right hand makes it impossible to reach the turn signal button with the steering wheel upside down.
Trying to look down on the steering wheel in the roundabout is not very easy to do safe either.

The S3XY button on the other side of the yoke will always be easy to reach. It’s just there, where you want it to be. (Really, no joke!)
Also, for turn dignal right use right hand and for left use left hand. Very easy and logical from first drive.
Even if you need to look and use the other hand, the shape of the yoke makes it easy to choose the right button.

Did you read the thread? :)

Imagine driving inside a small roundabout, and planning to exit. The steering wheel is now turned upside down between 180 to 270 degrees turned from straight and level flight.
When you would like to use the turn signal for the exit your fingers can not find the very flat non tactile arrows.
If you try to look, you can not see easy because your right arm is in between (in a left hand roundabout for right hand traffic).
If you anyhow are able to see them, your brain will pick to arrow pointing to the right (as you’re about to turn right) but the yoke is upside down so right means left and vice versa. You are supposed to activate the turnnsignal with the left thumb, both for left and right turns.

Regardless if you could see it or not, the grip you have on the yoke with the right hand makes it impossible to reach the turn signal button with the steering wheel upside down.
Trying to look down on the steering wheel in the roundabout is not very easy to do safe either.

The S3XY button on the other side of the yoke will always be easy to reach. It’s just there, where you want it to be. (Really, no joke!)
Also, for turn dignal right use right hand and for left use left hand. Very easy and logical from first drive.
Even if you need to look and use the other hand, the shape of the yoke makes it easy to choose the right button.
Pretty sure I read everything still trying to understand how this is a major concern. That must be a Really small round about which I dont recall seeing here in the states. Seems the right is left issue is pretty much the same for both options only you get to hunt on the back of the wheel for the button. Granted on the left is right side.

For turn signals I know a few that did adopt quite fast so it is probably a non issue longterm.
I was very sceptical to the yoke and the lack of turn signal lever (bought a car in stock with the yoke) so I got the S3XY buttons from the start
Pretty sure I read everything still trying to understand how this is a major concern.
^^^
That must be a Really small round about which I dont recall seeing here in the states.
I think I have seen a few in US as well, but they are much more common here in Sweden. There is youtube videos showing model S in US with the yoke upside down.

From that video:
IMG_5921.png

Tesla did not change the steering columb gearing to a ”short” one when they added the yoke, which they of course should have done. The yoke should be better with less rotation needed.
Seems the right is left issue is pretty much the same for both options only you get to hunt on the back of the wheel for the button. Granted on the left is right side.
With the buttons, a klick with the right hand always is turn signal right and left hand turn signal left. Doesnt matter if the yoke is upside down or turben 270 degree.

A tip, just go to Tesla and try a S with yoke and see for your self.

Last edited:
^^^

I think I have seen a few in US as well, but they are much more common here in Sweden. There is youtube videos showing model S in US with the yoke upside down.
Tesla did not change the steering columb gearing to a ”short” one when they added the yoke, which they of course should have done. The yoke should be better with less rotation needed.

With the buttons, a klick with the right hand always is turn signal right and left hand turn signal left. Doesnt matter if the yoke is upside down or turben 270 degree.

A tip, just go to Tesla and try a S with yoke and see for your self.
Yet as noted below I Do have a yoke hence why I don’t see the value of putting a button on the back. Plus you continue to make it more confusing. If the right button is on the right it Will be opposite when the yoke is turned 180. Add to that, when would you ever do a Left signal out of a round about?? It’s Always the same button!

Yet as noted below I Do have a yoke hence why I don’t see the value of putting a button on the back. Plus you continue to make it more confusing. If the right button is on the right it Will be opposite when the yoke is turned 180. Add to that, when would you ever do a Left signal out of a round about?? It’s Always the same button!
(I edited my post above at the same time you made this post. Link to the video and screen shot).

Anyway, if you do not need the buttons just don’t get them.

Buttons like I put them is all but confusing.
I know fr posts here (where I found the information about it) and from a Swedish forum that people find the issue about as I described it.

The new refreshed model 3 we got in EU also has the turn signal buttons (but a round wheel) and as tge first cars recently has been delivered the issue is discussed for that car as well. So even if you can not see the problem many others can.

I'm now about half-way through getting used to the new Model 3 Highland indicator buttons. I can now use them blindly with my left or with my right hand, however the wheel is turned.

Just as I once got used to the stalk, I now get used to the buttons. I like the buttons better, because most of the time they are almost right under my thumb, so I don't have to move as much as with the stalk.

The only remaining problem is that the buttons sometimes don't work, when a finger was too close to them or rested on one. I guess though that that could be fixed in software, if I'm right assuming that the haptic feedback is purely computer-controlled, rather than a physical micro-switch force. It is also possible that we learn how to use them better. I have already learned that the best reaction to the flaw is to lift the finger and put it back down on the button again. On that second attempt they always work.

Last edited:
Well over two years and the hatred has not receded. I'm forever selecting the wrong direction changing lanes then having to apologize to those around me when it does not cancel once established in the new lane.
What seems to be the problem? Is it memory, or can't feel the raised line between the signals. Or the hatred has totally infected your disposition? If your gonna keep the car, try this. First relax, let the hatred pass. Have you tried putting a clear raised dot on the signals? This plus the raised line may help. Try training yourself. Repetition, just sit in the driveway and practice ... or sell the car. There's probably better options for you.

It took me no time at all, maybe one day, to get use to the turn signals on my 2023 MS, which was a surprise to me, because I wondered about that like the OP. It is really like only two keys on a keyboard separated by a touch bar. Easy, don't let this deter you from buying a Model S. Mine has been great with no problems other than a dash rattle which was an easy DIY fix.
I've posted a couple of times on this subject. In context: I own a Model S Plaid and a Volvo XC40 Recharge, so I must transition between the two as seamlessly as i can do. Just as @Den49 it took me no time to adapt to the Model S yoke controls. I now find the Volvo's traditional controls old fashioned and mildly disagreeable, although it's easy to transition each time.
-I'm 78 years old so I expected to reflect my age with slow adaptation. Nope!
-I was an airplane and helicopter pilot until may age made insurance too high, so I quit flying. I therefore have been accustomed to moving from vehicle to vehicle with incompatible controls. You've really never seen transition problems until you try, for example, early Learjet's quite different controls from plane to pane that looked identical. It's probable that the Tesla yoke bothers me so little because of that history. I don't know for sure.
- The yoke allows better visibility, rather like sidestick controls in some aircraft or helicopter cyclic controller. That improved visibility matters to me, so I really like the yoke.
My impression is that 'yoke hatred' is mostly from people who've not been exposed to control system variability in other devices. That does not lessen their legitimacy. On balance the fundamental question is whether cars should have standardized controls. That brings back the ancient Audi unintended acceleration problems, which In my opinion, happened because the old Audi automatic transmission cars had the small, higher brake pedals common when manual transmissions were the norm. Another analogous event was the first BMW iDrive from 2001 in the E65 7 series. That one needed a crib sheet attached for new drivers to know how to start the car.

When we consider the yoke we also can consider other evolutions, all fo which have been controversial and subject to resistance. That said, were the steering to be completely electronic with highly progressive rate increase so one would never need to twist the yoke so much all the objections might fade. I'd like that solution!

-I was an airplane and helicopter pilot until may age made insurance too high, so I quit flying. I therefore have been accustomed to moving from vehicle to vehicle with incompatible controls. You've really never seen transition problems until you try,
I retired last year from the Swedish Air force as a pilot, currently ATP flying civil ambulance helicopters (I’m both fixed wing and rotary).
I can chew bubble gum and walk at the same time, I guess.

Its not easy finding the turn signal in the small roundabouts we have with the wheel upside down or turned more than 180 degrees.
As I wrote earlier I did get the S3XY buttons at the same time I got the Plaid so I never tried to adopt completely.
The S3XY buttons behind the yoke makes it complete, thats my firm statement. ;)

I'm now about half-way through getting used to the new Model 3 Highland indicator buttons. I can now use them blindly with my left or with my right hand, however the wheel is turned.

Just as I once got used to the stalk, I now get used to the buttons. I like the buttons better, because most of the time they are almost right under my thumb, so I don't have to move as much as with the stalk.

The only remaining problem is that the buttons sometimes don't work, when a finger was too close to them or rested on one. I guess though that that could be fixed in software, if I'm right assuming that the haptic feedback is purely computer-controlled, rather than a physical micro-switch force. It is also possible that we learn how to use them better. I have already learned that the best reaction to the flaw is to lift the finger and put it back down on the button again. On that second attempt they always work.
Do you not have roundabouts and parallel parking in Germany?

Can we all just speak the truth now? The Emperor has no clothes on this interesting "solution" to a question no one asked . . . .

It's cost-cutting, and it's exasperating and adds to collision risks.

And it was a rare dumb move by Elon Musk, or perhaps FSD is "right around the corner" and this is all about nothing.

Do you not have roundabouts and parallel parking in Germany?

Can we all just speak the truth now? The Emperor has no clothes on this interesting "solution" to a question no one asked . . . .

It's cost-cutting, and it's exasperating and adds to collision risks.

And it was a rare dumb move by Elon Musk, or perhaps FSD is "right around the corner" and this is all about nothing.
They wrote that it doesn't matter how the wheel is turned, they can press the buttons without looking so it wouldn't matter whether they're in a roundabout or not.

Their issue is the software failing to pick up the press.

Reactions: zoomer0056