Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did it take you to get used to the stalk-less turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, rarity in the need of an emergency device is something that we have in common.

The difference is that as a Human Factors Engineer by training, and a commercial pilot by profession, the abject stupidity of the decisions that have created this outcome bother the Hell out of me. It is uncommon for Tesla engineers to be this stupid, so we'll have to place the blame elsewhere.

While they thankfully fixed it for the Highland updated M3, we'll have to agree to disagree on the MS/MX. Glad you'll never need to use your horn in a real-world Emergency--wish we could all be so fortunate . . . .
While you’ve repeatedly posted this in multiple threads it doesn’t change the fact that not everyone is as bothered as you and as crazy as it can seem not everyone has to agree with you. If training you to Not have your hand on the Explosive air bag is difficult for you to overcome this might not be the car for you?
IMG_0624.png

Last edited:
While you’ve repeatedly posted this in multiple threads it doesn’t change the fact that not everyone is as bothered as you and as crazy as it can seem not everyone has to agree with you. If training you to Not have your hand on the Explosive air bag is difficult for you to overcome this might not be the car for you?View attachment 990838
Yes, of course.

That is why with ~99.9% use of the airbag as a horn we have so many amputees among us from airbag deployments while horn was in use; such a sad tale . . . .

Yep it’s a tale. Try Googling hand on airbag deployment. Guessing all is 99.9% made up. Lol
YES, having the center pad/air bag as a horn location is SO dangerous that the NHTSA has recalled all 99.9% of the cars on the road for this dangerous problem . . . NOT.

Someone at Tesla finally got through to Elon, the Videogamer-in-Chief, and they put the horn BACK in the center pad, RIGHT WHERE THE AIRBAG IS. Imagine that, despite the obvious "danger" you speak of . . . .

Please, stop apologizing for Tesla's absurdities.

Thank you.

Reactions: terranx
YES, having the center pad/air bag as a horn location is SO dangerous that the NHTSA has recalled all 99.9% of the cars on the road for this dangerous problem . . . NOT.

Someone at Tesla finally got through to Elon, the Videogamer-in-Chief, and they put the horn BACK in the center pad, RIGHT WHERE THE AIRBAG IS. Imagine that, despite the obvious "danger" you speak of . . . .

Please, stop apologizing for Tesla's absurdities.

Thank you.
The horn is unfortunately not back in the center. Hardware was never there despite the tweet from Elon over a year ago.

It’s the Highland Model 3 update that has the horn still remaining on the airbag.

Why they can’t fix it on the X and S is a puzzle…especially after Elon’s Tweet from so very many months ago.
It wasn't one of his vague promises like "we will have in them installed in 2 months" it was "all cars have the hardware since Nov 2021 and he said that I think in May 2022". It was a definitive statement that was never corrected. And apparently they still haven't accomplished 2 years later almost.

I do hope there is at least a paid swap. You'd think their top of the line car would have similar abilities as the 3 and Y over time at least.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Plenty of cars with non-centered horn buttons over the years.

Here’s a Toyota for example.
Well, gee, that's a pretty old photograph, perhaps from the 80's. I wonder why this clever idea never caught on . . . .

How about because having a critical safety input device moving around so that it is NOT in same location EVERY DARN TIME is about as stupid an engineering decision as one can find?

Reactions: dsm363
Plenty of cars with non-centered horn buttons over the years.

Here’s a Toyota for example.
I know throughout history the horn has been in different places but if you randomly sampled 100 cars in a parking lot, how many would not have the horn in the center?

How many Teslas didn't have the horn in the center? Roadster did. Model S did. X, 3, Y....etc all did until Tesla decided to solve a problem that wasn't there.

I know throughout history the horn has been in different places but if you randomly sampled 100 cars in a parking lot, how many would not have the horn in the center?

How many Teslas didn't have the horn in the center? Roadster did. Model S did. X, 3, Y....etc all did until Tesla decided to solve a problem that wasn't there.

Don’t get me wrong; I agree it belongs in the center.

I’m just saying though, it’s not without precedent and more importantly, doesn’t seem to be mandated to be in the center. Just stupid not to be, unfortunately.

Don’t get me wrong; I agree it belongs in the center.

I’m just saying though, it’s not without precedent and more importantly, doesn’t seem to be mandated to be in the center. Just stupid not to be, unfortunately.
I believe you’re correct that’s not mandated to be in the center. Maybe I’ll get used to it. Hopefully get my car soon so we will see. Or maybe there will be a retrofit or Tesla will actually deliver on Elon’s promise of a software update (assuming hardware is there now).

I believe you’re correct that’s not mandated to be in the center. Maybe I’ll get used to it. Hopefully get my car soon so we will see. Or maybe there will be a retrofit or Tesla will actually deliver on Elon’s promise of a software update (assuming hardware is there now).

As best any of us can tell, the hardware isn’t there for it. Of course this is Tesla, anything can change at any time.

Hoping your car comes in soon - I’m sure you’ll love it.

Now for the horn, I have better luck covering the right hand “spoke” of the wheel with my entire hand - that sets off the horn - than trying to find the button.

But I don’t find it as critical a safety item as others do. Most important time to use it is on blind one-lane roads and there, you have some time.

Reactions: Yelobird and dsm363
As best any of us can tell, the hardware isn’t there for it. Of course this is Tesla, anything can change at any time.

Hoping your car comes in soon - I’m sure you’ll love it.

Now for the horn, I have better luck covering the right hand “spoke” of the wheel with my entire hand - that sets off the horn - than trying to find the button.

But I don’t find it as critical a safety item as others do. Most important time to use it is on blind one-lane roads and there, you have some time.
Thanks. The hand over the side will be easier to find quickly so glad they added that. But the fact they added that takes away from the argument here than some are saying the tiny button is perfect and people should just get over it. Otherwise, no need to add that feature. Or the fact that people are putting 20 cent plastic dots on a $80,000+ car so they can find the horn.

That is not a feature that was added. The capacitive button is not bigger for hands, it is only the size of a thumb. However, that small area can be activated by using a thumb or a whole hand.
I understand that. I believe when if first came out, you had to touch just the small button. They released a software update later where you could put your hand over the general area, correct? That's an admission right there what they did at first wasn't ideal.

That is not a feature that was added. The capacitive button is not bigger for hands, it is only the size of a thumb. However, that small area can be activated by using a thumb or a whole hand.

I suspect that they added a small bit of code — basically if multiple buttons are pressed at once, activate the horn.

So it’s a bit easier to just cover that whole spoke than hunt for the pinhead of a capacitive sensor.

Thanks. The hand over the side will be easier to find quickly so glad they added that. But the fact they added that takes away from the argument here than some are saying the tiny button is perfect and people should just get over it. Otherwise, no need to add that feature. Or the fact that people are putting 20 cent plastic dots on a $80,000+ car so they can find the horn.

To be clear - I’m not saying any of this is optimal, but it’s livable, if that makes sense?

If it’s any indication, I’d like to be customer #00001 when the Enhanced Auto folks release S3XY stalks!

To be clear - I’m not saying any of this is optimal, but it’s livable, if that makes sense?

If it’s any indication, I’d like to be customer #00001 when the Enhanced Auto folks release S3XY stalks!
Understand and agree with you. The fact there is an aftermarket for those buttons should tell Tesla something right there. And the fact they backtracked on the Model 3 and I believe the Cybertruck on the horn placement at least is another admission their implementation wasnt' great.

Was there a thriving aftermarket for a capacitive button steering wheel option for Tesla before they made their switch? If not, that's odd.