Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long until we get a 400+ mile model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For many customers the issue is:

- Should I get an hybrid to get more range for trips in the mountains.
or
- Should I get electric, so no more gas, but travelling has limitations.

Reviewing some of the previous comments, beside more batteries and more superchargers:
- EVs to stay affordables cannot have too much batteries, especially if not needed 90% of the time.
- Superchargers, while required in main roadways, are not cost effective in less populated areas.

We need more public L2 chargers, especially at ovenight places, like hotels, or trailhead where you park your car while hiking.
Those type of chargers are not very expensive to install, and maybe using solar panel would be a cheap solution in remote areas.

300 mile range, eg 200 miles between charger stops if you run it down to 10-15% and up to 80, is fine for almost every circumstance. It needs to do it, however when it's 10-20 degrees out and otherwise suboptimal circumstances. All bets are off when you leave the coasts and head out to where charging stations are 100's of miles apart. There will be a role, I think, for ICE and hybrid vehicles for some time to come-- the guy I met out west one time who had to drive 90 miles each way to get to a gas station (or a grocery store) probably isn't going to be an EV candidate soon. (he had a ~200 gallon tank in his truck)

Reactions: Zalick
That was my point. Charging time to a SoC with packs of different capacities is a fool's errand
Right, but then what's the point of a bigger battery if you are only charging it 20% at a time? The only time I'm concerned with fast charging is when I'm on a road trip and I'm only stopping to charge.

Edit: there's been speculation that other companies (? Hyundai) use a larger battery pack, restricting it's use to the 'middle' portion of the batteries' charge profile to maximize the charging speed. That's a bit of a different bent, though.

Last edited:
You got me there. It is certainly possible on paper to power some number of superchargers with PV. , how many panels for a single 250kwh super charger? 13,000sf worth?

Now about that bridge for sale…
9,000 sq/ft. So about that bridge…

• Disagree
Reactions: Zalick and MP3Mike
This is such an old, tired argument. Not every car trip is a cannonball run. 400+ miles is not necessary. I've had less than 300 mile range Toyotas and Hondas and I've never once thought that amount of range was insufficient. Even netting 200 miles that's 3+ hours of driving. Most people need a break after that anyway. I think it's a much smarter move for Tesla (and better move for everyone) to make superchargers so ubiquitous that the other 35% of the EV market thinks of your name when it comes to convenient charging. That would also be better for the consumer to be able to pull over whenever they feel like it to charge instead of having the stretch to (or stop early at) specific SC stops. Tesla should focus on that and let the mileage slowly creep up to 400 through less weight and increased efficiency. Throwing batteries at something that isn't even a problem is not the answer.

This is such an old, tired argument. Not every car trip is a cannonball run. 400+ miles is not necessary. I've had less than 300 mile range Toyotas and Hondas and I've never once thought that amount of range was insufficient. Even netting 200 miles that's 3+ hours of driving. Most people need a break after that anyway. I think it's a much smarter move for Tesla (and better move for everyone) to make superchargers so ubiquitous that the other 35% of the EV market thinks of your name when it comes to convenient charging. That would also be better for the consumer to be able to pull over whenever they feel like it to charge instead of having the stretch to (or stop early at) specific SC stops. Tesla should focus on that and let the mileage slowly creep up to 400 through less weight and increased efficiency. Throwing batteries at something that isn't even a problem is not the answer.
Yeah but it took less than 5 minutes to add back 300 miles of range to your Toyota Corolla. Faster charging rate is absolutely the silver bullet and should take precedent over increasing battery capacity. If we could add an 80% charge in 5 minutes there wouldn’t be a need to increase the range even for long trips; that type of charge takes 35 - 40 minutes currently. It would decrease the traffic at superchargers since each user would spend significantly less time charging their vehicle. Also it would help to minimize the quantity of rare earth minerals needed to actually transition our fleet of cars to electric.

Yeah but it took less than 5 minutes to add back 300 miles of range to your Toyota Corolla.
True, then after that fill up, another 5-10 minute potty break, standing in line for food or waiting at a drive thru, stretching, walking the dog, and eating, I've spent the same amount of time as I would have at a supercharger anyway. Again, not everything is a cannonball run where you need to fill up quickly and get back on the road and every second counts.

If every second counts that much, then stick with a gasoline car. Imagine how much time that would be saved.

Reactions: Anser and KJD
Yeah but it took less than 5 minutes to add back 300 miles of range to your Toyota Corolla.

True, but it took me more than 5 minutes to empty my bladder, stretch, and enjoy some food. And if I meet someone interesting while charging, my car waits for me even longer.

In your rush to a blood clot, you are missing out on life's small pleasures

True, but it took me more than 5 minutes to empty my bladder, stretch, and enjoy some food. And if I meet someone interesting while charging, my car waits for me even longer.

In your rush to a blood clot, you are missing out on life's small pleasures
Evacuating your bladder in a gas station bathroom is a pleasure? Guess they’re much nicer out on the Mesa. Kidding aside I don’t need to eat or pee every 200 miles but I do need to charge. If I could add 200 miles in 5 minutes instead of 40 I would make it to my destination in about the same time as an ICE vehicle, and a large barrier to adoption would be removed.

True, then after that fill up, another 5-10 minute potty break, standing in line for food or waiting at a drive thru, stretching, walking the dog, and eating, I've spent the same amount of time as I would have at a supercharger anyway. Again, not everything is a cannonball run where you need to fill up quickly and get back on the road and every second counts.

If every second counts that much, then stick with a gasoline car. Imagine how much time that would be saved.
Obviously the added time for long trips is not a deal breaker for me or I wouldn’t own a model Y. The point is to make the experience as close to that of an ICE vehicle so that it’s not a deterrent. If you choose to smell the roses by all means do; if I choose not to smell the urinal cakes I’d like that to also be an option.

Obviously the added time for long trips is not a deal breaker for me or I wouldn’t own a model Y. The point is to make the experience as close to that of an ICE vehicle so that it’s not a deterrent. If you choose to smell the roses by all means do; if I choose not to smell the urinal cakes I’d like that to also be and option.
For sure. I'm just giving you sh... er... giving you a hard time. To each their own! Part of the reason I don't think gasoline vehicles should be outlawed. If someone wants that nonsense, they should be able to get it. All I'm saying is that a slight change in mindset can yield much more benefits than the drawbacks, IMO. And at the same time, I know how hard it is to change mindsets.

No hard feelings. Cheers.

Reactions: Anser
For sure. I'm just giving you sh... er... giving you a hard time. To each their own! Part of the reason I don't think gasoline vehicles should be outlawed. If someone wants that nonsense, they should be able to get it. All I'm saying is that a slight change in mindset can yield much more benefits than the drawbacks, IMO. And at the same time, I know how hard it is to change mindsets.

No hard feelings. Cheers.
I wasn’t offended by anything you said and I didn’t intend for my response to come across as aggressive ; sorry if it did. My point is that we should not need to change anyone’s mindset. We need the technology to advance to a point where compromise is unnecessary, and I believe it will. You should be able to take your time and enjoy the charms of each town you pass through; while I should be able to give Farrah Fawcett a hug Burt Reynolds a high five and then be on my way. Faster charging rates would make that a reality.

Evacuating your bladder in a gas station bathroom is a pleasure? Guess they’re much nicer out on the Mesa. Kidding aside I don’t need to eat or pee every 200 miles but I do need to charge. If I could add 200 miles in 5 minutes instead of 40 I would make it to my destination in about the same time as an ICE vehicle, and a large barrier to adoption would be removed.
It’s more of a pleasure than peeing in a bottle!

I wasn’t offended by anything you said and I didn’t intend for my response to come across as aggressive ; sorry if it did. My point is that we should not need to change anyone’s mindset. We need the technology to advance to a point where compromise is unnecessary, and I believe it will. You should be able to take your time and enjoy the charms of each town you pass through; while I should be able to give Farrah Fawcett a hug Burt Reynolds a high five and then be on my way. Faster charging rates would make that a reality.
24267937-9FCD-4D28-9A60-97F381B0F37B.jpeg

Reactions: Geech72