Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you still carry keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No physical keys I can understand, especially if you have a digital/smart lock on the front door.

But how do you avoid carrying a wallet?

Lots of places don't take Apple or Google pay. Some don't even take credit cards. And what if you lose your phone, or the battery dies, or the app crashes? How do you get into your car without the backup key card?

And what if you find yourself needing to drive your spouses car unexpectedly but your driver's license is in your car's glovebox?

where does your drivers license and Tesla car key go?

I bought a great iphone “wallet” on Amazon to hold a few credit cards, cash & ID. Most of my credit cards are on the Apple wallet, so everything I carry is minimized. This one allows me to take photos without opening it, but the screen isn’t covered, so it can always be accessed.

Attachments

• 68DB9DE6-EE26-48AA-B240-4035A4A1A09C.jpeg
    68DB9DE6-EE26-48AA-B240-4035A4A1A09C.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Reactions: lupend88
Lots of places don't take Apple or Google pay.

I’ve generally stopped doing business with places that don’t.

Some don't even take credit cards.

I’ve almost unconditionally stopped doing business with those. Notable exceptions being when going to events where I’ll grab cash ahead of time, but that’s rare.

And what if you lose your phone, or the battery dies, or the app crashes? How do you get into your car without the backup key card?

You can just tuck the card into a phone case. Doesn’t help with losing the phone, but I never had a backup plan with previous cars in case I lost my key ring while out and about either.

And what if you find yourself needing to drive your spouses car unexpectedly but your driver's license is in your car's glovebox?

first off, never marry.

Second, photocopy in her glovebox as well.

I don't think a photocopy of a license is valid in most jurisdictions.

Perhaps not. I’ve used one twice and both times the cop said he’d rather have someone who is prepared than someone with nothing at all. If you’re the sort of person who can’t have a civil conversation with someone who has pulled you over, it’s probably not a good strategy.

Also if we are being honest, race and financial status biases probably factor in, too.

If they really want to give me a ticket over something like that, so be it.

Might depend on your jurisdiction. I can't imagine the cops around here letting someone get away with that... but maybe that's just me.

The sort of cop who gives someone a ticket for giving them a nicely prepared set of paperwork is the sort of cop that is in the profession because it gives him power. In other words, the ones that should be doing something else.

I’ve generally stopped doing business with places that don’t.

How do you eat in sit down restaurants? I don’t think I’ve ever been offered a way to use Apple Pay to settle my restaurant bill outside of fast food where you stand in line and pay at the counter.

I still can’t use Apple Pay to get a haircut, buy a snack at my local gym, or buy anything at a farmer’s market. Even the major supermarkets in my area like Ralph’s and Vons have not begun taking Apple Pay or Google Pay.

How do you eat in sit down restaurants? I don’t think I’ve ever been offered a way to use Apple Pay to settle my restaurant bill outside of fast food where you stand in line and pay at the counter.

I check to see if they take Apple Pay before I go, usually i just have to go to the pay station with them. If they don’t, I’ll probably go somewhere else. If I’m REALLY wanting to eat there I’ll stop by an atm and use Apple Pay to pull out cash.

I still can’t use Apple Pay to get a haircut, buy a snack at my local gym, or buy anything at a farmer’s market. Even the major supermarkets in my area like Ralph’s and Vons have not begun taking Apple Pay or Google Pay.

I use Venmo to pay my barber, my gym vending machine takes Apple Pay, and my supermarket does too. If they didn’t, I’d go elsewhere. It’s not only a matter of convenience, but security. I’m tired of compromised card terminals making me have to do the card replacement dance.

if a business doesn’t value their customers’ financial security enough to offer tokenized contactless payment, why would I keep going there? almost every terminal that supports chip supports contactless, and if they don’t support chip they can go F themselves.

Last edited:
Been keyless since my first Prius in '02. As long as the keyfob was in my pocket, just hit the start button and went.

The house has had battery operated keypads since at least 2002. Probably 2000.

These days I keep two RFID cards (Car and work) along with a credit card and license in my phone case. Works out well, and believe it or not I can stack the RFID cards and not have an issue.

That said, handed the '05 Prius down to the kiddo and wouldn't you know it, she leaves the FOB in the center console. Brave soul...

No Tesla Key, Garage can be opened from my phone, and all home door locks are Nest locks. The only thing that has a key is my golf cart, unfortunately, and it is so weird because now I just get into it and expect it to begin operating then I have to go back inside and grab the key.

My set of keys is for entering work and home. However, door is usually unlocked at work. As for home, I have a nest lock which I use my phone or PIN to unlock. Since I got the M3, this set of keys stay inside my M3. I should mention that my keys has a 128 GB flash drive which I originally intended for work, but now use for teslacam/sentry mode.

Curious how many of you still carry standard keys with you. Obviously if you live in an apartment or somewhere that you don't access your house through a garage, you'll still be carrying keys.

In my personal case, I'm awaiting arrival of my SR+ and my front door is smart home + geofenced so it unlocks when I pull into my driveway. I'm pondering making my "Wallet, Keys, Phone" check to just "Wallet, phone" and ditching keys in general.

What do you guys think?
I don’t but I go through the garage.

Stopped carrying my keys when I got the Model 3. It's been great. Garage opens automatically with HomeLink. Front door and garage entry door have keypads that run on batteries that are used regularly and changed at different intervals, so are unlikely to die at the same time, though I've been thinking of hiding a house key somewhere just in case. Work keys get clipped to my work bag. The only key I need regularly is my mailbox kiosk key, which I keep in the car.