Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you still carry keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No wallet! Nice. How do you do that?
I have a silicon holder that I stuck to the back of my iPhone, sort of like these things. All I keep in it are a credit card, license, and tesla key (as a backup should my phone ever fail to unlock my car). Everything else I keep locked in the glovebox in my wallet -- but I never really need to ever use it.

So I only walk around with my phone and that's it.

I have a silicon holder that I stuck to the back of my iPhone, sort of like these things. All I keep in it are a credit card, license, and tesla key (as a backup should my phone ever fail to unlock my car). Everything else I keep locked in the glovebox in my wallet -- but I never really need to ever use it.

Sounds good. Cash in your pocket or cashless?

I'll need a few more things to go digital (e.g. library card) before I can do this.

Thats awesome. I utilize wireless charging way too much on my phone to be able to obtain that setup. But one day I would love to be just my phone, and ditch my wallet + keys.

I carry the Tesla key because I live in a rainy area and the car has been asleep too many times when I want to get in. Leaving my family and I waiting for it to let us in soaked.

A quick double tap of the remote in my pocket while walking to the car keeps a young family happy.

not to mention, my house key and gym key are all on the same key chain.

I've been keyless since 2004, but I have had to carry a pouch that includes a wallet and fob and assorted stuff.
I tried dumping the pouch and only carrying a phone after the Tesla came home. That did go well because I often forget the phone, and it tends to be discharged.

Eventually I'll either end up with either only a phone; or even better, just a watch

I’m old school and still carry keys - as in my car key fob, 1 house key, and a super small 300+ lumen keychain flashlight (which is surprisingly useful and used quite often when examining something on the car).

The main reason why I still use a key fob is because of where I park daily for work, at a business tower parking garage in downtown LA. I have to give my keys to the parking attendant everyday. And when there’s literally 20+ other Model 3’s parked on your same parking level (and more parked on the other levels), my key chain makes it very easy to recognize & grab when next to the bunch of similar looking Model 3 key cards hanging in the same attendant box.

Plus, for me using the key fob to open the trunk is much easier & faster than unlocking the phone, then going into the app to send a signal to open it.

Reactions: Ol'Blue
I haven't carried keys since I got my Model 3. I keep my backup key card in my wallet, which I still carry. Normally, I enter via the garage, so carrying a house key isn't really necessary.

However, with our local utility's (PG&E) policy of shutting off electricity during fire season, there's still a new to have a mechanical house key. We also need a key to our son's place when we go over to take care of the grandkids. I rely on my wife to carry these in her purse, so yes I can claim to be personally key-free. :)