Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that the order backlog will decrease a lot, but not enough to counteract delays caused by a new CT induced production hell, and delivery schedule will slip to the right.

Still looking for one in my local store this fall.

I still like the CT, as long as it's someone else's.

Reactions: Cal1 and cdub
The " bullet proof" exterior as shown in the latest Tesla vid will appeal to drug traffickers and survivalists, I'm sure one day I'll see a high speed chase here in LA. Got a bag of popcorn 🍿 saved just in case
If the cops throw baseballs in LA then they'd be safe.

ASIDE 6:32 into this video. I think the first throw hit where the door and window meet. I did frame by frame using ',' and '.' and the ball bounced up at a sharp angle. Anyway see for yourself in slow mo (x0.25) if you desire.
https://youtu.be/ddzZMUoXzDM?t=392

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
LOL - OK sure - have you ever removed an engine that weighs 500-600lbs using an engine lift? It's not easy by any stretch. This isn't something Tesla would ever touch given the liabilities involved.

Yes, many times in my 67 years.

It is not so difficult as you make it sound (once you get past the plethora of connections, particularly related to the environmental controls). Additionally, I see Tesla selling this range extender as a spare power wall. You'd have to have at least one conventional one, and then this thing can be added for normal use around the house. If they're going to do that they're not going to have a technician come out to move it every time.

Also, the idea of them swapping it at the service center is not good. Where are they going to store all of them there? They could do a lease system, where people going on a trip could lease one for a month or whatever. That might be a reasonable business model. But, somehow they have to make a way for people to get it in and out of the truck in their own garages, if they hope to sell any at all.

I actually think separating the range into two pieces like this isn't such a terrible idea. Obviously we all would have liked the cheaper prices, better specs, that we expected. But we also got a lot of things we didn't expect. And, as far as truck prices go, this is about run of the mlil. Not a hit it out of the ballpark, but also not a strike out like many of you here are saying.

Edit: I do have the feeling that the range extender is a sort of last-minute solution. They had hoped for greater mileage, and didn't achieve it. So, they did what rivian and others have done, and just made a way to plug in an extra battery pack. I wouldn't even be surprised if it, in fact, plugged into the 220 volt connector at the back. Although it would make more sense to have its own connection. So, in that sense, there's the chance that this solution will simply disappear after a while, as they get to larger, more efficient, battery packs.

Reactions: scottf200
Range is inline with what was originally promised.

Prices are initially high and will come down. Tesla would be foolish to not cash in on the demand. They did this for other models too.

My only disappointment is the 11k lbs towing for tri motor vs 14k. I’ll have to go with a slightly smaller camper I guess. This means I will go with the dual motor variant. I don’t need that extra speed for that truck.
Are you serious?

he promised 500+ range at 69,990
he delivered 320 range at 99,990

what the F are you talking about??????

Didn’t Franz use a stainles steel ball during the first window breaking event? I don’t remember it being a baseball.

Yes. And the way it was soft pitched I think any dual panned glass would have survived.

Guess they gave up on the tough glass.

This is still a compelling vehicle for law enforcement and folks that might be shot at.

Didn’t Franz use a stainles steel ball during the first window breaking event? I don’t remember it being a baseball.

Yes. They also hit it with a sledge hammer.

Absolutely no one believes they "solved" it four years later.

Of course, no one is really in danger of people throwing 1 kg steel balls at their truck, so why they decided to demonstrate it in the first place is beyond me.

The Rivian isn’t really a truck, its bed is almost useless. The F1 lightning, well it’s problem is it’s a Ford. The Cybertruck is pretty ugly in my opinion. I think after everyone gets used to the initial shock of the looks of the cybertruck it will do just fine. Even if there is a 80% cancelation rate they will still sell tons of them.
All the stuff you guys are saying is on point, but like lain said, they’ll still sell a crap ton of these to the Fanboys and people that just need to have the latest toy. I’m keeping my reservation for now, until I get more details on this extended battery. (But if I am not able to take that thing in and out at home, I’m canceling). My reservation number I believe is around 50k in line, and with cancellations and people that had just a rear wheel drive reservation in front of me, I should be hearing something maybe with in the first or second quarter of next year.

Reactions: cusetownusa
It’s a decent average truck and sells well. Good for Ford!

CT is a lot of firsts. It will ultimately sell well. Good for Tesla!
Rivian up +5% today ... Ford +2% ... so yeah... real worry about the competition for the R1T and the Lightning

CT is a lot of firsts but not where it matters.... range/towing/payload/price aren't "first" .... bullet resistent doors (but not windows) and drag racing while towing aren't the normal "use cases" for a truck. or having a baseball thrown at you.

Rivian up +5% today ... Ford +2% ... so yeah... real worry about the competition for the R1T and the Lightning

CT is a lot of firsts but not where it matters.... range/towing/payload/price aren't "first" .... bullet resistent doors (but not windows) and drag racing while towing aren't the normal "use cases" for a truck. or having a baseball thrown at you.

Anyone drove in hail?

Yes, many times in my 67 years.

It is not so difficult as you make it sound (once you get past the plethora of connections, particularly related to the environmental controls). Additionally, I see Tesla selling this range extender as a spare power wall. You'd have to have at least one conventional one, and then this thing can be added for normal use around the house. If they're going to do that they're not going to have a technician come out to move it every time.

Also, the idea of them swapping it at the service center is not good. Where are they going to store all of them there? They could do a lease system, where people going on a trip could lease one for a month or whatever. That might be a reasonable business model. But, somehow they have to make a way for people to get it in and out of the truck in their own garages, if they hope to sell any at all.

I actually think separating the range into two pieces like this isn't such a terrible idea. Obviously we all would have liked the cheaper prices, better specs, that we expected. But we also got a lot of things we didn't expect. And, as far as truck prices go, this is about run of the mlil. Not a hit it out of the ballpark, but also not a strike out like many of you here are saying.

Edit: I do have the feeling that the range extender is a sort of last-minute solution. They had hoped for greater mileage, and didn't achieve it. So, they did what rivian and others have done, and just made a way to plug in an extra battery pack. I wouldn't even be surprised if it, in fact, plugged into the 220 volt connector at the back. Although it would make more sense to have its own connection. So, in that sense, there's the chance that this solution will simply disappear after a while, as they get to larger, more efficient, battery packs.
I really doubt it's going to be portable. At 600-900 lbs there's no way Tesla is going to provide consumers Tesla tooling to remove the pack and take on any possible liability of someone actually dying while attempting to remove such a heavy pack from the bed. That's assuming it's even removable and not directly tied into the cooling system as basically a second battery pack. I'm guessing that won't be the case as that seems to be overly complex and perhaps problematic on some level unless this option has been really well designed and thought out. I'm more of the mind that this will be a pack that basically serves as a generator of sorts and recharges the 123kwh pack while you're driving until the kwh in the spare pack is exhausted - and this results in the projected mileage range extensions on average, which likely assumes no real payload and/or towing load. Cut those numbers in half for towing best estimate. If the spare pack is simply charging the main pack - I doubt it'll use the 14-50 receptacle as that's only adding 30 miles per hour on average - just like a 14-50 receptable in any garage. Per Musk this pack is for use when towing heavy loads over mountains right? :) So if that's the case and you're towing 10k lbs - that's likely consuming 125-150 miles/hour of range to travel about half of that in real world distance - so if you're only adding 30 miles per hour of range using the 14-50 receptacle back into the main pack, the spare pack cannot recharge the main pack fast enough. This is back of the napkin math on my part and so it's not the best example, but I think everyone gets the idea.