Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people pay for Premium Connectivity?

Do you pay for Premium Connectivity?

• Yes

• No, not worth it

• No (because I get it for free)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess their argument would be that the agreement of sale was with you, not whoever you sell the car to.
I had a look at Connectivity

While the dates don't match up with those of us that ordered Model 3 in May 2019, there aren't any situations where a car that had Lifetime Premium Connectivity then stops having it if sold, quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Take this as you wish. It won’t be the first time that Tesla have given different answers to same question or even changed their mind. Not particularly conclusive but definitely not a no.

In response to questions when I was campaigning with Snr UK Tesla staff for premium connectivity to be reinstated.

This seems to be back, so thankyou.

Is this a permanent feature now?

Thank you for your message. We can confirm that Premium Connectivity is now enabled for the lifetime of your vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS
Link please. I'm not sure how that could apply in the UK as they can't change the agreement of sale agreement retrospectively.
You might be correct ref UK. I hope for you folks, it does not apply to you.
Here's a link. Connectivity. But it looks like the part I mentioned has not been updated lately. I hope I am wrong from where I read it applies effective 10/15
Scroll down to the section where it talks about "Will there be a trial period for Premium Connectivity?".

Free "forever" but if I had to pay then I would be using the hotspot instead, I cancelled my Spotify and just use the built in one now so I'm happy with that!
Hang on. So if you have Spotify via Premium Connectivity, you don’t need to pay for Spotify any other way?

But you do need an active Netflix account in order to watch it in Theatre mode?

I was one of the last to get the 12 months free trial, and I see the PC fee as a kind of convenience cost. The annoying thing is the data connection is generally pretty slow (even in areas with good coverage) compared to the 5G signal on my phone…part of me wants to experiment with tethering to see if it makes a difference. Seems mad that I could be paying £8 a month for a 5G sim but pay more for a 3G (?) connection in the car.

Last edited:
Hang on. So if you have Spotify via Premium Connectivity, you don’t need to pay for Spotify any other way?

But you do need an active Netflix account in order to watch it in Theatre mode?

I was one of the last to get the 12 months free trial, and I see the PC fee as a kind of convenience cost. The annoying thing is the data connection is generally pretty slow (even in areas with good coverage) compared to the 5G signal on my phone…part of me wants to experiment with tethering to see if it makes a difference. Seems mad that I could be paying £8 a month for a 5G sim but pay more for a 3G (?) connection in the car.

Spotify in car, using the inbuilt Tesla account, still works when tethered even after any premium connectivity subscription ends.

Blimey, I assumed it was linked to Premium and that was a large part of the monthly fee. That makes the Premium sub even worse value!
The premium sub gets you the satellite map view, navigation with live traffic view, Tesla Spotify or your own, Youtube, log into your own Netflix or Tidal account. All this without the hassle of joining a hotspot each drive.

Using a wifi hotspot gives you the standard map view, navigation without live traffic view (but still uses live traffic), Tesla Spotify or your own, Youtube, log into your own Netflix or Tidal account. All this with the slight hassle of joining a hotspot each drive.

Reactions: SalisburySam
The premium sub gets you the satellite map view, navigation with live traffic view, Tesla Spotify or your own, Youtube, log into your own Netflix or Tidal account. All this without the hassle of joining a hotspot each drive.

Using a wifi hotspot gives you the standard map view, navigation without live traffic view (but still uses live traffic), Tesla Spotify or your own, Youtube, log into your own Netflix or Tidal account. All this with the slight hassle of joining a hotspot each drive.
The car sim gives you unlimited data across all UK networks so the best possible chance of decent connectivity in more locations.

Reactions: init6
Blimey, I assumed it was linked to Premium and that was a large part of the monthly fee. That makes the Premium sub even worse value!
Wait a minute, please. How much is the monthly sub in UK? Here its $10 a month. That's a steal. Many new cars are paying $20, even $30 (don't know what this is in Euro's or pounds, sorry). At $10 we are getting away with murder for the price. I suspect Tesla is still footing half the connection bill if we are paying only $10. I mean, maybe Tesla got a bargain of a deal at $10 a month total in 2013 - 2017. But every price goes up. I doubt connectivity would still be $10 6-8 years later.

£9.99 is $13.23
$10 is presumably before tax in the US as that’s how they price stuff

I don’t pay for it, the satellite maps I’ve never liked, personal preference but I prefer a map.
Audio is radio or high quality music files from a usb drive.
If I wanted to watch YouTube on the odd time I’m sat in the car with nothing to do I’ll use my phone.

I do miss the traffic info a bit but I’m loathed to pay more for seeing that than I pay to actually charge the car. You have to look at your own situation, it’s as simple as that.

Reactions: Drew57
At $10 we are getting away with murder for the price. I suspect Tesla is still footing half the connection bill if we are paying only $10.

You can get unlimited data, text, voice on a phone contract for around £18/month (less [£16] if you take up an additional SIM). I am sure Tesla could strike an even better deal than I am able to. The bump from a limited data plan to unlimited can be had for a fraction of the cost that Premium Connectivity is, plus it can be used for other uses too. So the £10/month is really for convenience, satellite and traffic views.

Reactions: Drew57
You can get unlimited data, text, voice on a phone contract for around £18/month (less [£16] if you take up an additional SIM). I am sure Tesla could strike an even better deal than I am able to. The bump from a limited data plan to unlimited can be had for a fraction of the cost that Premium Connectivity is, plus it can be used for other uses too. So the £10/month is really for convenience, satellite and traffic views.
We use a 4G sim for our broadband and ruling out Three due to lack of coverage the best I could get for unlimited data was £25 … have I missed a bargain?!