Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's bad enough these pickup EVs are so expensive. Glad to see the markup rug pulled from stealerships.

I was late to sign up for the Lightning but about a month ago my Ford dealer sent out an email confirming their plan to add a significant price mark up. I see recent stories confirming Ford is discouraging Lightning price markups at the dealership.

I'm also on the Silverado EV waitlist. GM is a bit more serious as they threaten cut EV allocation.

Reactions: TessP100D
I put in a reservation.... but the price & range are awful. I can't do it.
35k more for the same level vehicle is not cool. Recently did my 500mi each way trip. Made it in 7hrs 15mins.

Yep, that's my impression too. There really isn't a sweet spot with the Lightning. I'm leaning toward the 400 mile Silverado EV today given CT production is an unknown and costs are out of control.

Reactions: TessP100D
Yep, that's my impression too. There really isn't a sweet spot with the Lightning. I'm leaning toward the 400 mile Silverado EV today given CT production is an unknown and costs are out of control.
The sweet spot for an F150 has always been an XLT with the 302A tech package, max trailer tow and fx4. Unfortunately, that trim level (by far the most popular)
jumped way up in price for the 2021 models and is 55k+.

Maverick-Sized Upcharge On F-150 Lightning XLT Extended Range?

All F-150 Lightnings come standard with a dual-motor all-wheel drive system good for 426 hp and 775 lb-ft of torque. That setup is paired with the 98-kWh Standard Range Battery, good for a Ford-estimated 230 miles of range (EPA figures are still pending), on the base F-150 Lightning Pro, Lightning XLT, and Lightning Lariat trims. The optional 131-kWh Extended Range Battery is available on the XLT and Lariat, and standard on the range-topping Platinum; it ups power to 563 hp and 775 lb-ft of torque, while range jumps up to a Ford-estimated 300 miles on the XLT and Lariat, and 280 miles on the top-level F-150 Lightning Platinum.

According to Ford's configurator, that 70-mile range cushion will cost F-150 Lighting XLT buyers a pretty penny. Starting at $54,669 with the standard battery, opting for the Extended Range Battery adds $19,500—roughly the cost of an entire Ford Maverick—to the F-150 Lightning XLT's base price.
In other words, that means the cheapest 300-mile F-150 Lightning will set you back $74,169. That's more than the MotorTrend Truck of the Year-winning Rivian R1T, which can both go further on a charge and charge quicker than the Ford. It's worth noting that the Hummer EV Pickup beats both the Rivian and Ford in charge speed and range, though the only versions available now start in the six-figures.

Reactions: WhiteWi
So I didn't reserve a Lightning until 9 August, 2021 (after I realized the CT was going to be delayed beyond even my pessimistic projection). So I am way down the list.

My dealer contacted me today to say that the 2022 order book is full and that I will be getting a 2023. Should still get it before my CT but we'll see. I'm not in a hurry. My diesel grand cherokee still runs fine.

Anyway, an FYI for the group.

So I didn't reserve a Lightning until 9 August, 2021 (after I realized the CT was going to be delayed beyond even my pessimistic projection). So I am way down the list.

My dealer contacted me today to say that the 2022 order book is full and that I will be getting a 2023. Should still get it before my CT but we'll see. I'm not in a hurry. My diesel grand cherokee still runs fine.

Dealer doesn’t know anything. 2022 is booked but Wave 3 is opening up this week with 3 more waves to go lol ……

Being a late reservation holder there was little chance you’d be able to get a 22 anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
Guess that cements my thoughts. Dealer called me and told me I should get my email yesterday, no email. No email today. I think I’m just going to order a RAM limited and save 20 grand and have a truck this summer.

Emails come out on Thursdays every 2 weeks. Dont wait for the email, around noon PST check your reservation page and it should have the order button. Many of us have ordered before the email.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
lol. there's always an excuse... currently it looks like the CT will get in line behind the Roadster 2.0 / Model S Plaid+ ...
Completely wrong about Cybertruck being behind R2.0 and P+. Roadster and plaid + is very small market of high performance and very high price tag cars. Cybertruck will be second best seller after model Y and no brainer for Tesla to do next after they start two new factories full throttle. While they are slammed with Model Y why waste resources on Cybertruck production? Now they have time to work it out all the aspects of Cybertruck and how to streamline its design and production and what features to include and at what price point it is possible. Do I believe they can do it by 2023? Maybe by the end of 2023, yes. Full production 2024.

Reactions: StanMI

My Res was May 21st. I have no intention of ordering, but I see I am not up to order anyway. I'm in no hurry. If the prices weren't so ridiculous, I'd go for it.

Completely wrong about Cybertruck being behind R2.0 and P+. Roadster and plaid + is very small market of high performance and very high price tag cars. Cybertruck will be second best seller after model Y and no brainer for Tesla to do next after they start two new factories full throttle. While they are slammed with Model Y why waste resources on Cybertruck production? Now they have time to work it out all the aspects of Cybertruck and how to streamline its design and production and what features to include and at what price point it is possible. Do I believe they can do it by 2023? Maybe by the end of 2023, yes. Full production 2024.
because if they don't get the cybertruck out and impressive before ford or the others, their stock price will plummet......TSLA is the motivation for everything tesla does

because if they don't get the cybertruck out and impressive before ford or the others, their stock price will plummet......TSLA is the motivation for everything tesla does
given that Rivian is already shipping and Ford in the next months and more than doubled first year production targets... it's very safe to say that Tesla won't get the CT out before Ford and others with their "hopefully in late 2023" announcement...

The two companies agreed that Amazon would have exclusive rights to the delivery van for four years after Rivian provided the first batch. Amazon would also have the right of first refusal for two years after that over any other companies that wanted to buy the vans from Rivian.

last I heard amazon had dibs on every truck rivian produces for the next 5 yrs or something like that so none are actually going to customers. did they change this?

The two companies agreed that Amazon would have exclusive rights to the delivery van for four years after Rivian provided the first batch. Amazon would also have the right of first refusal for two years after that over any other companies that wanted to buy the vans from Rivian.
That sounds more likely because it was confusing when you said generically 'every truck' as that would include R1T. A google search on: rivian produce amazon trucks
to refresh my memory shows many articles on this same point about them producing delivery trucks.
rivian produce amazon trucks - Google Search

The company, in which Amazon holds a 20% stake, will start taking orders for its electric delivery vans in 2022, with plans to deliver them to customers by early 2023, according to a new section of Rivian’s website.

Rivian has been working to fulfill a contract to produce 100,000 electric vehicle delivery vans for Amazon through 2024. (Rivian has said it plans to deliver the first 10 of Amazon’s order by the end of this year.) That deal appeared exclusive, according to information contained in the S-1 document announcing its plans to go public. However, this new information that shows Rivian is selling to other fleet customers prior to 2024 suggests that its contract with Amazon has some wiggle room.