Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even a loaded extended range Lightning isn't Porsche money. Maybe a lightly optioned Macan, but nowhere near a reasonable Taycan. I'm seeing Lightnings used quite a bit in the trades already. They have fleet pricing and the ER battery option for the Pro model.
Except you and I can't buy a Pro model. It's fleet-only sales and you have to buy 5-6 at least.

Individual trade contractors can't just walk up to a Ford dealer and buy a $50K/$60K Pro model. Anything on the lot is $80-$90K and are more luxury than practical.

Since I'm in Orlando, Ford dealers have said they suspect the biggest customer for the trucks will be Disney who will want a fleet of them (probably just plain white and stripped down Pro models). Regular tradesfolk... yeah... almost zero interest here.

Hyperbole.

I use my R1T to regularly tow a 10,000lb hydraulic lift trailer hauling gravel, dirt, rock and lumber. With 800 hp and 11,000 lb tow capacity it handles that trailer, fully loaded, as if it were empty. And the 4-motor drive lets me maneuver around difficult job sites. The secret is, I work within a 50-mile radius of home so range is never an issue. Range is the only limiting factor when it comes to using an EV as a work truck.

Otherwise it is far superior to any ICE.
Sure, if you work within a 50 mile radius you will never miss combustion. I thought it was pretty clear I meant longer distances than 50 miles? These trucks can tow about 150 miles from a 100% charge, which we avoid due to the extra time it takes to charge past 80%. Then infrastructure itself needs work, then lack of pull in spaces.

Cheaper to fuel and cheaper to do brakes.
One little touch in the Lightning that I really love is the "Brake Coach." It gives you a rating out of 100% for your use of regen versus friction brakes. Can I also just say also that the blended brake is ridiculously good? It's impossible to detect a difference between regen and friction. Way better than other EVs I've driven/owned with blended brakes.

Sure, if you work within a 50 mile radius you will never miss combustion. I thought it was pretty clear I meant longer distances than 50 miles? These trucks can tow about 150 miles from a 100% charge, which we avoid due to the extra time it takes to charge past 80%. Then infrastructure itself needs work, then lack of pull in spaces.
What kind of range are you getting are you getting towing 10000 pounds?

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I have a reservation for F150 Lightning, intended to get the Lariat trim and Ford corporate already wrote me 4 emails telling to make my order.

All I've seen so far are deal breakers for my intended use: Dealer's price at $118,000 ($69,000 when I did my reservations); range when towing, down to 50% to 60%: winter driving range drop, as much 40% reported (I live in wintry area); and, max payload in case I want to extend range with a truck camper.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
What kind of range are you getting are you getting towing 10000 pounds?
I’ve never paid that close attention since it’s all local hauling, but the estimated range drops by half as soon as I connect the trailer. I can confirm what @Feathermerchan posted. Towing my Airstream (which is much lighter) at freeway speeds drops my range by more than half. Probably close to 60% range loss.

All I've seen so far are deal breakers for my intended use: Dealer's price at $118,000 ($69,000 when I did my reservations); range when towing, down to 50% to 60%: winter driving range drop, as much 40% reported (I live in wintry area); and, max payload in case I want to extend range with a truck camper.
Markups are done. MSRP or walk. I’d also consider the used market of you want to pay less for a truck with a few miles.

Cybertruck has a more decent payload of 3,500 and with what was shown with the Tesla Semi battery tech, may not have that much range loss. Tests could have been done between their Nevada Giga and Fremont with those brutal Donner Pass uphill climb and freezing snow to see those challenges in real-life road conditions and address it.

Cybertruck has a more decent payload of 3,500 and with what was shown with the Tesla Semi battery tech, may not have that much range loss.

I think that is a stretch. It isn't the battery tech that causes the range loss when towing and/or cold. That is just physics. Tesla decided to advertise the Semi with the range while fully loaded. The range for the tractor by itself would probably be significantly more, maybe even 1,000 miles.

I doubt they did the same with the range they reported for the Cybertruck. But it will have a good thermal management system so it won't have the horrible cold weather loss that some EVs have. (Though it will still have some.) I would expect that the 500 mile range version will have a real-world towing range of 250-300 miles.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Someone mentioned that the Rivian has a payload capacity of 1700 pounds but all of the pictures of payload capacity decals I have seen are in the 1400 to 1500 pound capacity. An 8k to 10k Trailer will most likely have a tongue weight of 800 to 1100 pounds. Doesn't leave much room for people and cargo
Car and Driver:

Rivian says that every R1T can tow 11,000 pounds and that the pickup offers a payload capacity of 1760 pounds.

• Informative
From Rivian Forum site
1650405628373-png.5546

1648667449870-png.17824

img_5007-jpg.9528

img_5204-jpg.9529

Last edited:
  • Informative
I think that is a stretch. It isn't the battery tech that causes the range loss when towing and/or cold. That is just physics. Tesla decided to advertise the Semi with the range while fully loaded. The range for the tractor by itself would probably be significantly more, maybe even 1,000 miles.

I doubt they did the same with the range they reported for the Cybertruck. But it will have a good thermal management system so it won't have the horrible cold weather loss that some EVs have. (Though it will still have some.) I would expect that the 500 mile range version will have a real-world towing range of 250-300 miles.

That would be plenty enough range for me. On camping trips pulling my RV, I have a 200 to 250 miles or arrive by 3 pm to the new campsite and it served me well for a very enjoyable trips.