Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lane keep isn’t as advanced as Autopilot. The positive is you can steer the car while in lane keep, unlike Autopilot. As impressive as Autopilot can be, I prefer the systems from Ford, Hyundai, Mercedes, etc.

Common examples include passing semis and other trucks (bias my car away from them within the lane), exit appears (keep the car in the highway lane), lanes merge/wide lane (drive straight, no AP weirdness). You can also speed up and maneuver to your heart‘s content.

EA sucks compared to Superchargers. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes nothing works right. Depends a good deal on the specific stations and their hardware, electric source, etc. Their software and payment system sucks in general though. Infrastructure shouldn’t be a crapshoot. I hope they fire Giovanni Palazzo and turn it around.
And if you only have a pro or even XLT - you get none of these features. I would have had to spend another $19-29k to get lane keep / blue cruise. Absolute insanity, you don’t get anywhere close to 30k worth of additional value. All you really get is a different badge on the car :)

Will likely never buy a non Tesla again. I value the lack of nickle and diming from Tesla for features. You generally get everything in the base model, then only pay extra for a very few # of things.

Complete opposite from Ford. There are an bazillion options / trims and all sort of complicated and illogical dependencies. They are only there to push the price higher than the falsely advertised “base” :). And don’t get me started on the whole dealership model!

We will keep our F150 XLT SR until it can be replaced with a cyber truck. It still think is the best value large family EV vehicle on the market. Our family of 5 fits perfectly - with endless storage in the frunk and bed.

It does really ride really quite amazingly. Buttery smooth, fast, etc. It’s just missing any form of modern tech. The software / UI / UX is an absolute joke :/. Charging is a joke. The app is a joke.

Ours was 52k - rebates. So 41k ish all in. Not that bad for a basic EV people mover.

Reactions: Cal1 and zoomer0056
And if you only have a pro or even XLT - you get none of these features. I would have had to spend another $19-29k to get lane keep / blue cruise. Absolute insanity, you don’t get anywhere close to 30k worth of additional value. All you really get is a different badge on the car :)

Will likely never buy a non Tesla again. I value the lack of nickle and diming from Tesla for features. You generally get everything in the base model, then only pay extra for a very few # of things.

Complete opposite from Ford. There are an bazillion options / trims and all sort of complicated and illogical dependencies. They are only there to push the price higher than the falsely advertised “base” :). And don’t get me started on the whole dealership model!

We will keep our F150 XLT SR until it can be replaced with a cyber truck. It still think is the best value large family EV vehicle on the market. Our family of 5 fits perfectly - with endless storage in the frunk and bed.

It does really ride really quite amazingly. Buttery smooth, fast, etc. It’s just missing any form of modern tech. The software / UI / UX is an absolute joke :/. Charging is a joke. The app is a joke.

Ours was 52k - rebates. So 41k ish all in. Not that bad for a basic EV people mover.

It sounds great honestly.

Modern Teslas don't even come with parking sensors. Talk about a "basic" EV...

Thats awesome, hopefully you dont drive your XLT SR too much because that Cybertruck isn't going to happen until 2026, maybe 2027? By that time the 2nd gen Lightning will be out with for working on the 3rd Gen lol

I can’t keep up with all of the changes. Before this year Teslas didn’t get credits, and Fords did. Then Tesla slashed prices up to $20k. I went on the site tonight and the Lightning Pro model comes standard with Copilot 360. Bluecruise is a free 3 year trial with all Co pilot hardware.

The Lariat I have is chock full of features. Huge powered frunk, power tailgate, 11 outlets, lights everywhere, heated/vented seats, heated steering wheel, bed scales, work surface, hands free driving assistant (better than autopilot), 360 camera, cameras for bed, hitch, blind spot monitoring, enormous interior space, rear under seat storage, power moonroof (with powder shade) and rear window, running boards, exterior light bars, etc. Software is pretty good too, including the app. OTA has actually been awesome (UI improvements, fast charge preconditioning)

It’s got everything but massage seats which were not an option for the trim. With the credit I got the truck is in line with the Raptor which makes sense. Now I don’t know about the Tesla 3/Y perf, but it’s got more top end power than my 3 LR. 60-90 mph pull is strong.

The overwhelming feeling I have about the truck is value for money. All of the features are well thought out and come in handy. Whatever you do, do not look into Porsches if you think Ford nickles and dimes.

I can’t keep up with all of the changes. Before this year Teslas didn’t get credits, and Fords did. Then Tesla slashed prices up to $20k. I went on the site tonight and the Lightning Pro model comes standard with Copilot 360. Bluecruise is a free 3 year trial with all Co pilot hardware.

The Lariat I have is chock full of features. Huge powered frunk, power tailgate, 11 outlets, lights everywhere, heated/vented seats, heated steering wheel, bed scales, work surface, hands free driving assistant (better than autopilot), 360 camera, cameras for bed, hitch, blind spot monitoring, enormous interior space, rear under seat storage, power moonroof (with powder shade) and rear window, running boards, exterior light bars, etc. Software is pretty good too, including the app. OTA has actually been awesome (UI improvements, fast charge preconditioning)

It’s got everything but massage seats which were not an option for the trim. With the credit I got the truck is in line with the Raptor which makes sense. Now I don’t know about the Tesla 3/Y perf, but it’s got more top end power than my 3 LR. 60-90 mph pull is strong.

The overwhelming feeling I have about the truck is value for money. All of the features are well thought out and come in handy. Whatever you do, do not look into Porsches if you think Ford nickles and dimes.

My Lariat came out to $69k after all was said and done. Great value for what you get. It’s an F-150, that’s all you need to know. The ride is amazing, better than some luxury cars to be honest. The CT will have to match that suspension and I have a feeling it’s going to fall short.

My Lariat came out to $69k after all was said and done. Great value for what you get. It’s an F-150, that’s all you need to know. The ride is amazing, better than some luxury cars to be honest. The CT will have to match that suspension and I have a feeling it’s going to fall short.
What's the range on it under load (meaning, how far can it pull a 10000 lb trailer, for instance)? I mean, doing things that a pickup is supposed to be able to do.

What's the range on it under load (meaning, how far can it pull a 10000 lb trailer, for instance)? I mean, doing things that a pickup is supposed to be able to do.

Who knows? I’m converting mine into a street truck you know like the original Lightning, so as long as it can do Home Depot runs and fit the family comfortable for long road trip with all our crap in the Bed or frunk then we are all good.

If you are worried about Towing get an ICE, no EV will tow the distance you are looking for.

Show of hands. Who tows a 10,000lb trailer?
1674842716459.png

Actually, many people I know use pickups for work and not just to drive to the beach.

Last edited:
I guess it can be rated to tow 10000 lbs. So my question remains.

View attachment 900400

The Cybertruck hasn’t been proven to tow anything, so that answers your question, and my Bambi is 5,000 lbs have towed it 150 miles round trip with one charge in between.

Just like not everyone takes their sports car to the track not everyone Tows 24/7 but it’s good conversation on why so and so sucks 🙄

Again, get an ICE ad forget an EV for now if you want to seriously tow. Neither the current charging stations or range can support serious towing.

I’m sure all the YT, Instagramers and Crypto bros who reserve the CT are hardcore towers 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: TessP100D
I'm curious what they are towing that is 10,000 lbs?
Are many things they tow way less than that though? (examples below)
And a follow up is how far do they typically tow it?
Horse/live stock trailer? RV trailer? Boat?
Exactly. Horse trailers going to herd cattle, rodeo, etc.

A horse trailer designed to transport one or two horses typically weighs between 2,300 and 3,900 pounds. With horses and cargo loaded, this number increases. The average empty weight of a horse trailer is about 2,900 pounds. When loaded up, small horse trailers max out at 7,000 or 8,000 pounds (GVWR).

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
It's not wise to be at the maximum payload or towing limits if your going to do so regularly. Neither the F-150 Lightning or future CT are suitable for that, and any EV is a bad choice for long distance towing. At that point, one needs to move up to an F-250 or 350.
I agree with you. It's still an honest question. I would like to know the towing capabilities independent of maximum load. Say, half load. People I know haul with their trucks. I think that they would only entertain an EV pickup if they knew what it could do.

Snowmobilers pull their big trailers with 4 snow machines up here 100 miles from the big city. Is it practical for them? Just asking because it's a real world use where I live as opposed to having a giant truck in your garage that can't do anything but go to Walmart.