Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When is Tesla going to open up their Superchargers to Fords?
I would NOT hold my breath on that ... unless they were able to get a decent piece of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law which has $7.5 billion for a national EV charging network.

It seemed like Tesla was going to offer CCS to Tesla adapters to non-Tesla EV owners or incorporate CCS adapters at its Supercharger stations.
The open-sourcing of its connector has now cast some doubts on those plans.
This weekend, President Biden tweeted about the US government’s plan to help build 500,000 charging stations:
We’re building 500,000 electric vehicle charging stations across the country. The great American road trip will be fully electrified.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk responded by saying “or you can just buy a Tesla”:
Or you can just buy a Tesla — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 4, 2022
Musk seems to imply that Tesla’s Supercharger network already enables “the great American road trip,” which is a fair point considering that there are not many regions of the United States you can’t access with Tesla’s charging network.
Then the CEO added that Tesla still plans to “enable other EVs to use Tesla Superchargers”:
Worth mentioning that Tesla has open-sourced its charge connector and is enabling other EVs to use Tesla Superchargers

I would NOT hold my breath on that ... unless they were able to get a decent piece of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law which has $7.5 billion for a national EV charging network.
Even when/if they open the Superchargers, it will likely only be select sites that have extra capacity.

As far as the BIL funds, that is split up into 52 pieces, with each state/territory having their own rules on top of the Federal NEVI rules. Between that and the V2/V3 infrastructure not meeting the requirements, I doubt that Tesla will get much, if any, of the funding. (Tesla backing out of the ~$6M of California funding for charging sites re-enforces my opinion on that.)

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
The Ford F 1-50 Lighting looks interesting. I am curious to see how many will consider this instead of the Cybertruck.

The price of the Lighting also looks pretty good ("Standard-range model will start at $39,974, before any federal or state tax credits, while pricing for the mid-range model begins at $52,974.") especially with an EV rebate factored in. But, I imagine that is for a standard cab and crew cabs, which would be closer to the CyberTruck, would be considerably more.
Which will I grow oldest waiting for? Is ordering/reservation even open for the Ford F-150 Lightening? And if I bought one will I get Tesla style servicing or will it be the same old circus of a traditional dealer service center?

One less potential buyer after this news:

This is Ford taking initiative and taking care of a quality issue before it reaches owners. Unlike other brands who deny issues and give you the run around. To my knowledge there have been 0 Lightning fires….

Reactions: E90alex
And this is why Tesla is still the best at EVs. They have battery architecture refined. There hasn't been an incident that I'm aware of of a Tesla randomly catching fire.

The Lightning may have some better features than the Cybetruck but the Cybertruck will be the more refined EV.

You had to say that. The stoppage is due to a battery fire.

It sounds like production is expected to be down for about a month.

I wonder if it will result in a recall.

Again, 0 Lightning Fires. This was caught at the Factory and they are doing what needs to be done. The story is that this affected a small amount of manufactured trucks, or a batch. We will see how this plays out.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
And this is why Tesla is still the best at EVs. They have battery architecture refined. There hasn't been an incident that I'm aware of of a Tesla randomly catching fire.

The Lightning may have some better features than the Cybetruck but the Cybertruck will be the more refined EV.

Really?

And there are others