Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has had plenty of growing pains battery issues , whole threads on here with users with very poor battery performance from certain models. On and on. Tesla resolved the issues in future builds and it is to be expected that ford will as well. GM did and if they can anyone can.
Tesla did the battery build, integration, BMS hardware and software in house.

The entrenched ICE manufacturers have a habit of sending everything out of house to the lowest bidding supplier, and that makes it hard to catch problems as they occur.

I hope that Ford will not repeat the GM fiasco that was the Bolt. As I recall, the initial fix was charge limitations and to park outside.

Not even at the right price? Could be a fire sale soon, just say'n
No, I was thinking about the Ford Maverick Hybrid for a 2nd vehicle...small projects, dirt for garden, etc. The list of problems with that Hybrid is longer than Tesla problems. Can't get a new on until, maybe September. Basically, lost faith (if that's what it is ) in Ford..over promising and under delivering. Besides, 80-90+$K..nope. Can find a Rivian for that price.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
No, I was thinking about the Ford Maverick Hybrid for a 2nd vehicle...small projects, dirt for garden, etc. The list of problems with that Hybrid is longer than Tesla problems. Can't get a new on until, maybe September. Basically, lost faith (if that's what it is ) in Ford..over promising and under delivering. Besides, 80-90+$K..nope. Can find a Rivian for that price.

Lol….. have you lost faith in Tesla yet?

Current MYLR and 30 year F-250+ owner here.
I really REALLY want the CT but if Tesla fumbles hard on the final design I may consider the Lightning.
Most important to me is a large well powered frunk which opens to a usable workspace instead of a bin.
Also doing typical truck things is going to be very clutch.
IE: Reese-Hitch, General customizability, Ability to bolt on a range of attachments to front/rear/roof and legitimate ruggedness that extends beyond the exterior frame. Super bonus points for floorboards you can wash out with a garden hose.

Last edited:
I monitor a couple Lightning forums. It's been interesting watching newbies to the EV world struggle with FUD and just plain misconceptions. Hearing folks try to justify a standard range battery... well it's been interesting. I did relate how MS60's, and MS70's faired over time but they seem convinced that a SR would work fine. Then winter hit and oh the cold weather range complaints!

I'm 69 yrs old and don't have the luxury of waiting another 3 or 4 years to get a electric truck. I want something while I'm still active and needing a truck. Suspect I'll end up with a Lightning but I so hope to wait until the LFP versions come out. I'd take a CT but doubt my number will come up for a couple of years.

I monitor a couple Lightning forums. It's been interesting watching newbies to the EV world struggle with FUD and just plain misconceptions. Hearing folks try to justify a standard range battery... well it's been interesting. I did relate how MS60's, and MS70's faired over time but they seem convinced that a SR would work fine. Then winter hit and oh the cold weather range complaints!

I'm 69 yrs old and don't have the luxury of waiting another 3 or 4 years to get a electric truck. I want something while I'm still active and needing a truck. Suspect I'll end up with a Lightning but I so hope to wait until the LFP versions come out. I'd take a CT but doubt my number will come up for a couple of years.
Here's a truck you could have now, if only Simone would put out a mod kit:

• Funny
Reactions: Cal1 and KJD
As a Lariat Lightning owner, let me clear up some misconceptions:

The battery issue affects 2023 models in production now, and only those. SK claims the process is already fixed and will not be an issue anymore but Ford wants to know specifics and SK doesn't want to share them.

SK is worried about "industrial espionage". If you want to see a fictional representation of that, look up Silicon Valley's "technical due diligence" scene where Pied Piper visits EndFrame about potential investing and it turns out they're "brain raping" them. Basically, SK knows Ford's overall goal is to manufacture their own batteries and as such, is reluctant to share info with Ford that would compromise their IP.

Note: This doesn't make SK entirely "bad" people. The South Korean government has declared battery manufacturing knowledge to be national security trade secrets. In effect, the economical damage to South Korea if their battery development technology gets IP-stolen would be disastrous on a level of being considered an act of war (if intentional).

This isn't "haha Ford engineering sucks".

What's more, 2022 and delivered 2023 models aren't affected. The fire that took place was during testing before it would be staged for delivery. It's literally their QA process working as intended. During a battery check, the energy system is discharged and charged at various rates to ensure it can handle high voltage within the fault tolerances.

There isn't an F150 Lightning on the road that will suddenly catch fire for the same reason as the factory incident, unless for some reason they didn't do the pre-delivery quality check on a certain unit before it was delivered.

That being said, I'm considering selling my Lightning back to Ford.

It's not that I don't like it, it's that since production is halted, I see a chance to get my standard range back to Ford while demand is incredibly high. I'm driving a lot less after a medical assessment so me and my wife can just use our Model Y for all our driving.

As for the Lightning:

It's really great, but it sucks at normal EV stuff.
First, if it didn't have CarPlay, it'd be doomed. The infotainment is way worse than Rivian, even, let alone compared to Tesla at route planning and navigation. It's sluggish, slow, updates are spaced out too far and it's just hard to set up the view to a way you like. It's nice having the motor discharge percentage behind the steering wheel though, but overall I'd say the 15" screen is massive but a waste. Plus since it's long portrait, good luck watching Netflix or something while charging.

I like the physical switches a lot, especially for controlling windshield wipers, mirrors, lights, etc.

The interior does feel high quality, but mine is a Lariat so maybe my experience is biased.

The efficiency takes a massive hit with even the smallest factors. Faster than 60 mph? .3 mi/kWh drop. Slight head wind? .3 mi/kWh drop. Climate auto set to 2 instead of 1? .3 mi/kWh hit. Didn't pre-condition with departure? .3 mi/kWh hit.

It's great at normal truck stuff though, and I honestly think it'll do normal truck stuff better than any other EV truck that's coming out in the next year with the exception of the Ram EV since they copied the Lightning style of "make a regular truck with a battery".

I love it, personally, but there's definitely a lot of room to improve and I think it'll be a much better truck in a few years when they make the rest of their technology "EV centric".

As a Lariat Lightning owner, let me clear up some misconceptions:

The battery issue affects 2023 models in production now, and only those. SK claims the process is already fixed and will not be an issue anymore but Ford wants to know specifics and SK doesn't want to share them.

SK is worried about "industrial espionage". If you want to see a fictional representation of that, look up Silicon Valley's "technical due diligence" scene where Pied Piper visits EndFrame about potential investing and it turns out they're "brain raping" them. Basically, SK knows Ford's overall goal is to manufacture their own batteries and as such, is reluctant to share info with Ford that would compromise their IP.

Note: This doesn't make SK entirely "bad" people. The South Korean government has declared battery manufacturing knowledge to be national security trade secrets. In effect, the economical damage to South Korea if their battery development technology gets IP-stolen would be disastrous on a level of being considered an act of war (if intentional).

This isn't "haha Ford engineering sucks".

What's more, 2022 and delivered 2023 models aren't affected. The fire that took place was during testing before it would be staged for delivery. It's literally their QA process working as intended. During a battery check, the energy system is discharged and charged at various rates to ensure it can handle high voltage within the fault tolerances.

There isn't an F150 Lightning on the road that will suddenly catch fire for the same reason as the factory incident, unless for some reason they didn't do the pre-delivery quality check on a certain unit before it was delivered.

That being said, I'm considering selling my Lightning back to Ford.

It's not that I don't like it, it's that since production is halted, I see a chance to get my standard range back to Ford while demand is incredibly high. I'm driving a lot less after a medical assessment so me and my wife can just use our Model Y for all our driving.

As for the Lightning:

It's really great, but it sucks at normal EV stuff.
First, if it didn't have CarPlay, it'd be doomed. The infotainment is way worse than Rivian, even, let alone compared to Tesla at route planning and navigation. It's sluggish, slow, updates are spaced out too far and it's just hard to set up the view to a way you like. It's nice having the motor discharge percentage behind the steering wheel though, but overall I'd say the 15" screen is massive but a waste. Plus since it's long portrait, good luck watching Netflix or something while charging.

I like the physical switches a lot, especially for controlling windshield wipers, mirrors, lights, etc.

The interior does feel high quality, but mine is a Lariat so maybe my experience is biased.

The efficiency takes a massive hit with even the smallest factors. Faster than 60 mph? .3 mi/kWh drop. Slight head wind? .3 mi/kWh drop. Climate auto set to 2 instead of 1? .3 mi/kWh hit. Didn't pre-condition with departure? .3 mi/kWh hit.

It's great at normal truck stuff though, and I honestly think it'll do normal truck stuff better than any other EV truck that's coming out in the next year with the exception of the Ram EV since they copied the Lightning style of "make a regular truck with a battery".

I love it, personally, but there's definitely a lot of room to improve and I think it'll be a much better truck in a few years when they make the rest of their technology "EV centric".

Agreed. The biggest issue for me is range. I can live with the subpar infotainment, and low quality sound system. Range will hurt all EV Trucks, aerodynamic or not.

Agreed. The biggest issue for me is range. I can live with the subpar infotainment, and low quality sound system. Range will hurt all EV Trucks, aerodynamic or not.
so true. before my Model 3 I had the 2.7 EB 2015 F150 in Lariat trim ... and oh boy did mpg's go south once you went faster than 65mph and over 75mph all bets are off... basically you are pushing an aerodynamic brick against the wind. You'll get crappy mpg in an ICE and high kw usage in an EV.

It's not like Ford has ever stolen ideas from inventors before /s

Reactions: TessP100D
I'm just happy that the conversations right now indicate there is going to be a lot of choice once these BEV trucks come out. The debates and posturing around what is better simply means there is actual competition.

What did MS60 buyers deliberate 10 years ago? A choice between that or a Fisker or Leaf or NG Civic? It wouldn't even be a fun discussion lol. Edit, ok so I had to look it up... the Panamera S E-Hybrid PHEV looked kind of cool? Ehhhh...

But this CT vs Ford vs GM vs Dodge vs Whatever is gonna be fun. That is assuming these trucks ever work out their supply chain issues.

I'm just happy that the conversations right now indicate there is going to be a lot of choice once these BEV trucks come out. The debates and posturing around what is better simply means there is actual competition.

What did MS60 buyers deliberate 10 years ago? A choice between that or a Fisker or Leaf or NG Civic? It wouldn't even be a fun discussion lol. Edit, ok so I had to look it up... the Panamera S E-Hybrid PHEV looked kind of cool? Ehhhh...

But this CT vs Ford vs GM vs Dodge vs Whatever is gonna be fun. That is assuming these trucks ever work out their supply chain issues.
wake us up when Tesla has released the final production/performance specs and prices for the CT. until then it's about as real as the roadster 2 or the plaid+ with 500 miles of range (...)