Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much charge will my Tesla lose per week untouched?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going on a 2 week cruise and it's a bit of a drive down to the port. Now I'm worried about daily drain.

Reading around it online,I have climate protection off (cold UK), I shall put the summon thing off and of course sentry mode off and I won't log into check on it.

With my raven ludicrous X how many miles can I expect to lose with it just sitting there?

Less than 1% per day. I keep the display set on % instead of miles. So far it has lost 3% in 6 days and that’s with me checking on it twice.

You get more accuracy with it set in miles ;)

I said less than also. 1 mile in 48 hours.And I probably checked it half a dozen times. No Apps. But I never let it sit more than 3 days.

Hi Sk19,

I would recommend you doing a test.
You do not say how far it is to the port - How far is it to the port???
Everything you said in your post about turning things off is good
but omitted one battery drainer and that is data communication.
It drains whether you communicate or not. It drains more if you communicate
because it keeps the car awake or keeps waking it up.

Depending upon when you leave and how much you plan to drive before
you leave: you may want to perform your own experiment.
You might consider turning off communication and the other items mentioned
for a day or two to see how much range you lose.
Your own experiment will be the most accurate for your car.
Multiply the loss times your 14 day cruise time and see what you are left with.
Are you comfortable with that amount left for your return trip???

You cannot put too much in your battery for being gone 2 weeks and having a long
drive home from the port.
Figure in the nuisance factor of a Supercharge on the drive home with your luggage...

Good luck,

Shawn

PS - As other have noted there are other threads about lost mileage during trips.
Most of the stories are bad surprises. Do you want to be the next bad story?

Thanks guys.

Yes I have looked at other threads but there is so much variability in responses it's hard to understand, which is why I'm asking about a 2019 ludicrous Model X with the settings turned off.

I'm reading about 5-10miles a day loss and here the answers suggest 1-3 miles a day which would be ace.

How do you put data communication off? And does that mean I won't be able to check on my car at all?

Port is 55miles away so that'll take about 80miles off in reality. So round trip it will cost me 160miles. I thought you lose about 10miles a day so I was worried 13 nights would lose 130miles so I'd struggle. If it's only 1 mile or so a day then I'm fine.

Stop checking the Tesla app as it will wake your car up as well. I use TeslaFi on my phone to monitor the car as it will not wake the car up if it is sleeping. Just make sure to enable the TeslaFi sleep settings.
I can't find teslafi on the app store. Is it just the Tesla app?

In fact I probably won't need to check on Tesla at all while I'm away I'm guessing

I can't find teslafi on the app store. Is it just the Tesla app?

In fact I probably won't need to check on Tesla at all while I'm away I'm guessing

Now is the worst time to be looking into apps. You’ll be fine.

Teslafi is a web site. Teslafi.com (way overpriced one at that).

Normal data communication with Tesla does not keep car awake enough to be concerned about.

If you have time test it for 24 hrs and verify all is good.

Now is the worst time to be looking into apps. You’ll be fine.

Teslafi is a web site. Teslafi.com (way overpriced one at that).

Normal data communication with Tesla does not keep car awake enough to be concerned about.

If you have time test it for 24 hrs and verify all is good.
Checking the Tesla app will always wake up the car. That was my point anyway. it can take another 2 hours for the car to go to sleep once you wake it up.

Checking the Tesla app will always wake up the car. That was my point anyway. it can take another 2 hours for the car to go to sleep once you wake it up.

It can keep it awake a long time but it rarely does. I checked my car probably 6 times with the Tesla app over 2 days and it held to 1 mile. Now maybe it was 1.9 miles and truncated to 1. If a car is a awake it will use 1-2 miles an hour. If it was that bad I would have lost 6-12 miles. It usually goes back to sleep with in 5-10 minutes.

If it did stay awake a long time it might be doing video uploads. Which you can turn off.

We agree not to do it to often. But you don’t need to be that paranoid. Once a day for 2 weeks should be fine.

Last edited:
It can keep it awake a long time but it rarely does. I checked my car probably 6 times with the Tesla app over 2 days and it held to 1 mile. Now maybe it was 1.9 miles and truncated to 1. If a car is a awake it will use 1-2 miles an hour. If it was that bad I would have lost 6-12 miles. It usually goes back to sleep with in 5-10 minutes.

If it did stay awake a long time it might be doing video uploads. Which you can turn off.

We agree not to do it to often. But you don’t need to be that paranoid. Once a day for 2 weeks should be fine.
Absolutely, once a day is fine. However many noobs check it once an hour or more and wonder why they are losing so much range. So they check it more often to see how much range they are losing only to lose more by constantly waking up the car.

Hi guys... I had my Model X Raven in a heated garage at 17 deg C for a week. I lost 150km range with sentry mode off. Makes no sense to me. I did not opened the app more than twice in that week.
I’ve read someone say that it might be spotify that keeps the car from going to sleep. Anybody else can confirm that?

Yes. Assuming "a week" = 7 days, that's 21.4 km/day. That's high enough that I would speculate something was keeping the car "awake". Sentry Mode + normal draws about 44 km/day (in my M3LR), so it's probably not Sentry Mode, but it must be something else. Climate control (with heating) would be much more than that, but with 17˚C in the garage, it's possible it might be the fan without any heating/cooling.

I'm reading about 5-10miles a day loss and here the answers suggest 1-3 miles a day which would be ace.

How do you put data communication off? And does that mean I won't be able to check on my car at all?

Port is 55miles away so that'll take about 80miles off in reality. So round trip it will cost me 160miles. I thought you lose about 10miles a day so I was worried 13 nights would lose 130miles so I'd struggle. If it's only 1 mile or so a day then I'm fine.
Yes. Assuming "a week" = 7 days, that's 21.4 km/day. That's high enough that I would speculate something was keeping the car "awake". Sentry Mode + normal draws about 44 km/day (in my M3LR), so it's probably not Sentry Mode, but it must be something else. Climate control (with heating) would be much more than that, but with 17˚C in the garage, it's possible it might be the fan without any heating/cooling.
There are the two main settings that are the huge toggle of changing the daily drain from "awful" to "wonderful".
1. Sentry Mode
2. Summon standby

A lot of people may not have heard about the summon standby thing, because it was a relatively new setting that was added and was default ON when Tesla deployed it. So that is one of the main things that leads to this 10 miles a day garbage. If you turn both of those off, it goes down to the low 1-2ish miles per day that people are talking about here.