Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you pay for auto insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn, y'all are getting off cheap. Here in Tennessee my annual premium is $1667, most of which is collision because this state until recently didn't require auto insurance. Even now, you can get your license and registration without ever proving that you have insurance, so there are a lot of uninsured motorist claims. And I get SEVEN different discounts and I'm a 60 year old female. Go figure. Yes, I shopped around.

• Informative
Reactions: BlindPass
Purchased new to me 2017 Model S 75 . I've had all of my insurance (business, home, auto) with Farmers for 20 years.

Assuming I would be taken care of, I added Tesla to policy. $2,400 for 6 months. After I recovered from my heart attack, I checked out Tesla's price in the app. $800 for 6 months. Same coverage limits.

Waiting for call back from my Farmers agent. 99% chance I'll change to Tesla's coverage.

$422.99 per 6 months with State Farm.

Some rating factors:
New Jersey - the nice part.
Excellent credit score.
High limits, low deductibles. ($500 collision; $100 comprehensive.)
Also have homeowners & a $2m umbrella policy with SF.
Completely clean driving record - no moving violations ever (myself or my spouse.)
Old enough to know better, not old enough to forget why.

IMG_0004.jpeg

I'm paying over $2,000/year with USAA in California. Full coverage, $1k deductible. My wife and I are over 50 with spotless records. USAA quoted me $1,012/year before I purchased it; I don't know what happened. I'm going to start shopping around. Now, to find good insurance companies.....

Last edited:
$820 for 6 months in Texas with progressive and great coverage plus only $100 comprehensive deductible (glass ...)

whatever you do ... don't go with Farmers - they quoted me $1300 (...) for 6 months as renewal after jacking up the premiums every 6 months and after haggling wouldn't go lower than $1050 ....

$530/6 months.

Most people doing month-to-month are probably missing out on a "pay in full" discount. Also, it is really hard to compare because a home owners policy, multi-car, etc all play big factors in rates.

Interesting, I have to ask about this. I certainly wouldn't mind paying every 6 months vs monthly if it gets me another discount. When I asked my state farm agent about options for further discounts, she never mentioned something like this.

I'm paying $220 per month for two cars with state farm (2016 Model S 75D and 2018 VW Beetle). I feel I'm overpaying by quite a lot.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Interesting, I have to ask about this. I certainly wouldn't mind paying every 6 months vs monthly if it gets me another discount. When I asked my state farm agent about options for further discounts, she never mentioned something like this.

I'm paying $220 per month for two cars with state farm (2016 Model S 75D and 2018 VW Beetle). I feel I'm overpaying by quite a lot.

Progressive is ~$200 discount paying up front vs. paying month-to-month. I pay it with PayPal since Progressive accepts that, and PayPal gives me 6 months of no interest payments, so I pay it monthly like it is car insurance.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and cucubits
For all the people in California that don't have Tesla insurance, I suggest getting a quote from them. I saved about $100 per 6 months over GEICO. Also got a reduced rate due to covid-19 if you haven't done that yet.

For all the people in California that don't have Tesla insurance, I suggest getting a quote from them. I saved about $100 per 6 months over GEICO. Also got a reduced rate due to covid-19 if you haven't done that yet.

how much do you pay total?

I called nearly every insurance company in my area. Small and big corporate ones.

I got the best deal at $218 a month basically $1,290 premium for 100/300/100 with $1k deductible.

Once My DUI goes off my record in after December I should get a better deal. Other insurance companies were quoting me $400-500 and that's as much as my car payment

Reactions: lUtriaNt