Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you pay for electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Scottsdale, AZ I pay 2.6 cents per kWh off-peak (7pm to noon the next day) and 22 cents on-peak. But I never buy on-peak because I have 9.7kW of solar panels on the roof. Excess kWh are "banked" with the utility until the end of the year, then I get a credit that usually means $0 electric bills through March. Go solar!

Wow, that's quite a range of prices! I envy everyone that has their own solar generation. I looked into getting solar for my home but the economics didn't seem to work. My wife and I are soon to be empty nesters and we expect to downsize within 3 or 4 years. The cost of solar installation (even with incentives) amortized over a 3 to 4 year payback would have doubled our energy costs. Of course that was calculated before factoring in the added electrical usage of my MS. :(

Also in Boston area, on Eversource, last month the average was 23 cents/kWh, including the $7 monthly fee averaged into the total.
Are you on Eversource or National grid?

Hi David. We get our electricity from National Grid.

Damn, I have a 13.3kw solar system I installed almost a year ago. Hoping to eliminate bills but have had to also remove trees from around the house.

I pay .22 off peak / .38 peak times. my solar generation is roughly 2/3 of electrical bill per month. I have two EVs and four kids. So something is almost always on or charging.

Here in Los Angeles with Edison I pay $0.15 at night off peak. During the day it varies between $0.23 and $0.43 depending on time and season. I only charge at night so I use that as my reference. Edison has different plans with different way to price energy. I did the math and picked the plan based on what comes out cheapest for me. It is way too expensive considering how cheap it is to produce. But it's not like we have choices. That's the thing that seems to odd to me. There is basically no competition and choices when it comes to electricity. I can't pick another provider.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
Around 13.7¢/kWh here plus a $20/month service charge. However, I haven't paid anything beyond the monthly service charge since 2012, when I increased the size of my solar array from 700 watts to 2170 watts. I currently have about 1500 kWh banked for use over winter when my solar production declines and my usage increases somewhat from running the furnace blower.

In Alaska all rates are 24/7
0.20 per kWh in Anchorage and 0.22 Per kWh in Girdwood.
Have 8kw solar at our house with hybrid (on/off grid) inverter and battery bank that I installed myself over 3 years ago. And I wish I could bank kWh but Chugach electric dosnt allow that.

Last edited:
There is competition where I live in Texas. You can go to "powertochoose.org" and see hundreds of rates. I found a one year contract for $28 per month as long as I stay under 1,000 kWh which I will this year. Even with the Model 3.
Next year will probably be different.

Here in Los Angeles with Edison I pay $0.15 at night off peak. During the day it varies between $0.23 and $0.43 depending on time and season. I only charge at night so I use that as my reference. Edison has different plans with different way to price energy. I did the math and picked the plan based on what comes out cheapest for me. It is way too expensive considering how cheap it is to produce. But it's not like we have choices. That's the thing that seems to odd to me. There is basically no competition and choices when it comes to electricity. I can't pick another provider.

Edison TOU works out great in winter here in Socal...mine averages to 15c / kWh but that summer “peak” extending until 8pm is KILLER @ .47c/ kWh.

Interesting data... https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/

upload_2018-11-9_21-20-32.png

There is competition where I live in Texas. You can go to "powertochoose.org" and see hundreds of rates. I found a one year contract for $28 per month as long as I stay under 1,000 kWh which I will this year. Even with the Model 3.
Next year will probably be different.
But that's just your generation charge - you still have to pay transmission and distribution charges to Oncor to deliver the power to you from your chosen supplier.

I just called my energy supplier to complain about the ever increasing generation costs. It got me to really focus on how much I was paying per kWh. All in, including generation, distribution, assorted fees and taxes, I pay $0.26 per kWh! That seems REALLY high to me even living in the Boston metro area. So I'm really curious. What do other people pay around the country?

In Flagstaff, it's AZ Public Service (APS).

The Saver Choice Max rate is $13 per month, and the off-peak rate is 5.2 cents/kWH hour. Peak hours are 3 pm to 9 PM weekdays. Everything else is off-peak.

But that's just your generation charge - you still have to pay transmission and distribution charges to Oncor to deliver the power to you from your chosen supplier.

Nope. It is a flat $28 per month. Before I signed (in April), I checked the rate carefully. Every bill since then has been $28.

Your Past Bills

Your Past Payments

Bill Date Due Date Total Amount Due
(includes any credits/debits)
Total Current Charges
10/26/18 View 11/14/18 $28.09 $28.09
09/27/18 View 10/15/18 $28.09 $28.09
08/28/18 View 09/14/18 $28.02 $28.02
07/27/18 View 08/15/18 $28.02 $28.02
06/26/18 View 07/13/18 $28.02 $28.02
05/27/18 View 06/14/18 $28.17 $28.17

• Informative