Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does your electricity cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s fascinating to see how widely the price of both electricity and gas varies across the different members on this forum. With electricity at .10/kWh or less and gas approaching $5.00/gallon in California, I scratch my head on why anyone would buy anything but a Tesla. But at .47/kWh and gas prices below $3.00 in other locations, the numbers look very different.

I get a lot of silly questions from my friends and neighbors about the Tesla. You still need to put gas in it right? What happens if the battery dies on the freeway? Why would I want to pay for electricity to drive a car?

If Tesla spent some more money on marketing to educate consumers I think they would sell a lot more cars. Even in California, where Tesla vehicles are built, I find people are clueless about what a Tesla, or an EV in general is.
I got booed on a forum for saying Tesla needs to start advertising and learn how. When the Big 3 start pushing out electric cars they will advertise the hell out of them and Tesla doesn't know how that game is played.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Charging at home varies wildly. I have TOU-A where I get credits for using under 500Kw. If I charge one Model 3 it costs $35 a month on electricity bill, but if I charge both cars, it’s $150 a month. If I don’t charge it’s $10-$15 a month.
Ya. It’s all messsd up for me too. TOU doesn’t work for me. It’ll cost me an extra $100 cuz it drives the house electricity up and at that rate it’s the same as buying gas.
I really wish we have stable cheaper electricity rates in so cal.

B776E3B1-EEC1-4342-9A38-604B1F69B9A1.png
Yeah, I'm guessing MidAmerican is behind the local TV ads I've been seeing that are purportedly from the "REAL Coalition" although this "coalition" will not and does not say who is bankrolling them.

Their anti-solar TV ads are very misleading and I've been harassing them on their FB site about it for a while now, with no response from them, of course. The reality is that all MidAmerican customers pay a monthly up front grid access fee, as you mention, and all customers should continue paying the same fee. If they have a problem with solar customers as things are I see two possible solutions for them:

1. Don't "buy-back" power from solar users when their panels are generating more power than is being used by the household. As I've done more research on the issue, I've found that this is their main hangup. Solar users generate more than they use during the day and sell that overage back, then use power from the grid at night. Just make it a one-way power stream. I don't know a ton about home solar setups but I would think those households could get something like a power wall to store the power they generate for using later, if they so choose.

2. Increase the standard monthly grid access fee for ALL utility subscribers, period. If their concern is truly with being able to maintain the viability and safety of the power grid and having the funds to do so, then just raise the rates for all customers. Don't try blaming it on solar users - that's disingenuous.
The anti-home-solar TV ads and proposed Iowa legislation are definitely MidAmerican’s doing, as Warren Buffett explicitly told all his shareholders at last year’s annual BRK shareholder meeting (I watched it live on Yahoo) that he planned to maintain his utility company's monopoly by significantly raising the cost to those with home solar. When asked if/why he supported renewable energy, Mr Buffett was blunt that MidAmerican was building so much wind in Iowa (6 GW by 2020) for one primary reason - for the $5 Billion in tax credits (so he could pay that much LESS in taxes, in spite of always complaining that he wishes he could pay higher taxes!). World’s Greatest Hypocrite :mad: Mr Buffett doesn’t care about the environmental benefits of solar; he just wants to maintain his energy monopoly and all the profits for himself/BRK.

As an owner of home solar who has scrutinized the costs and benefits of my panels and the potential of adding Powerwall2s (in lieu of net metering with the utility), my $50k investment would have a payback of NEVER if I didn’t have net metering. The grid is essential because the vast majority of home solar electricity is produced during peak daytime hours when homeowners are at work, and batteries are still far too expensive (to store all my excess energy by day to be used at night would cost me well more than the $50k I already spent, and the warranty by Tesla is only 10-years). Besides, MidAmerican greatly benefits from my peak energy going to my neighbors’ homes via net metering because they avoid producing the most expensive energy that’s in tight supply every afternoon, while then giving back nighttime energy when excess electricity (from minimum load nuclear and also their wind that blows strongest at nighttime) is abundant (often causing wholesale grid energy prices to go negative...meaning MidAmerican may otherwise have to PAY the grid operator (MISO) to take the super-off-peak electricity (that instead is charging our EVs while we all sleep). Solar is definitely win-win for all. Buffett is simply putting his greed over the environment; he has no shame. I know first hand, as my wife and I worked a combined 60 years for MidAmerican and I got to see behind the Wizard’s curtain...it isn’t pretty seeing how they’ve strategized to kill solar before it ever took off. :(

As my bell curve chart shows, a recent perfect solar day produced 105 kWh, yet my home only uses about 1 kWh per hour in real-time. So from 8am to 7pm I needed the grid to “store” (net meter) all but 11 kWh, which on this day amounted to 94 kWh. Without net metering, I’d have needed at least 7 PW2s! That simply makes no economic sense. What makes sense is a free loan of valuable PEAK electricity that MidAmerican can sell to my neighbors for twice the price, while then repaying those same kWh of super-off-peak nighttime energy from wind turbines (which also earns Mr Buffett his $5 Billion in Production Tax Credits).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I have flat rate electricity in the Bay Area at $0.23 /KwH. That's not great. They give us some ridiculous small amount cheaper, but it quickly escalates to that, and I have computers etc, big house and 6 family + one girlfriend. I need to try talking to PG&E again, so far it's been fruitless. They are also under huge pressure with a gas explosion a few years ago and some people are suing them over a huge fire in Northern Cal that destroyed the entire town of Paradise. Truth be told, all of America's infrastructure is aging, and there has never been much foresight in replacing poles and wiring. Let alone bridges. After the very rainy winter, the city streets are a disaster waiting to eat your suspension, wheels and tires. The cost of burying power lines is astronomical. And I watch the subcontractors picking their noses on the clock, it's tragic. PG&E did mention a plan with a separate meter that has to be installed and that grants cheaper power just for the car. We'll see. I need to run a 240 volt circuit anyway.

At this point I'm still using my free Supercharger time, but when that's up it looks like that might still be OK. Gonna have to read the whole thread.

[later] Just did. Hmm. Make me think of the guy in California some 40 years ago who buried a big coil under the high voltage power lines that ran next to his land, regulated the voltage and bingo, free power. They found it and charged him with ... what? He argued he was at most guilty of trespass, and back then it wasn't legislated like now, I don't know how the case ended up ...

How about we make a push with gyms to install little generators on the exercise bikes etc, and put up charge stations.

Last edited:
my rates are .11 cents during the winter and .14 cents during the summer. First 300kwh of the month are .02 less.
I have the option to get .07 and .08 during off peak and .17/.18 on peak but I don't think I would benefit much from that if at all.

Wow - in SE MA on National Grid we are at .255 per kWh 24/7/365 for the 6 mo period nov-may. It should go down a few cents soon but goes up YOY. Despite this my MS75D still costs half a German car on premium per mile to operate

I'm on an EV time of use plan

We are paying $0.0279 per kwh super off peak (10 pm to 5 am every day) so just over $2 per full "tank" in my model 3.

regular off peak (which is all times not super-off-peak or on-peak) is like $0.0614 per kwh....

on peak is 1pm-6pm summer and is $0.3369 per kwh, it is 6am-10am winter and is $0.2642 per kwh

Prior to the ToU plan it was I think like 12.4 cents per kwh 24/7/365....So our power bill has actually gone DOWN since adding the Tesla and I'm spending about 10x less on "fuel" for driving than with an ICE.

I’m on a time of use plan with Southern California Edison. If I wait until 10pm to charge I pay .10/kWh. I’ve been logging all of my trips using TeslaFi to keep track of how much it is costing me to drive the car.

On a recent road trip to Palm Springs, it shows I drove 107 miles for $2.07. It shows 193 Wh/mi, 110% efficiency.

Does this sound correct? How is it possible that I could drive 107 miles for only $2.07? Am I miscalculating something or is it really that inexpensive to drive my M3? It’s a LR RWD model.

It just seems too good to be true, but if it is true, this car is just absolutely amazing.

awesome! TOU backfires for me in the day too. I need to get solar. But the 3 is really that much more efficient compared to my S. (Combination of the body/weight and that more efficient magnetic motor on the 3). 193 wh is insane but I can easily get 250 wh on my commute with the awd 3 vs 350 on the same commute with the S 75D. Amazing savings with gas prices in SoCal right now with 92 octane > $4.30! (assuming we had a gas equivalent sports car we would use super unleaded likely). Ive noticed you can typically hit your rated miles if ur wh are ~250 which is almost impossible in the S unless you are actively hypermile-ing

Last edited:
11 cents summer rate, just under 10 for winter. No TOU options in Kansas yet. Gas is about 2.30-250 a gallon for regular.

For tax purposes I figured out my charging cost was bout $400 from August - December 2018. If I had been driving an M3 my fuel cost would have been closer to $1400.

Ha! In Southern California we are approaching $5.00/gallon.

The more it goes up, the more I save. :D

Maybe that’s why we see so many Teslas in California.

You frugal numbers nerds will get s kick out of this. For 2 years I was saving $29/day driving an ev to work compared to my 21mpg subaru.

Free fastrak: $16 daily average
Free parking for ev at work building: $85 monthly parking outside lot 3 blocks away
Free charging at work: $9 round trip for subaru

I'm angry that the same kWh of electricity that costs $0.43 in California can cost $0.08 in Texas even if you select a 100% renewable provider. It really makes me HATE California. I mean the grid is inter-connected....cant i just buy my power in Texas and have them send it over!
You could except for corrupt Congressmen of both parties who take bribes from the utility companies.

I'm angry that the same kWh of electricity that costs $0.43 in California can cost $0.08 in Texas even if you select a 100% renewable provider. It really makes me HATE California. I mean the grid is inter-connected....cant i just buy my power in Texas and have them send it over!

No you can't because Texas is mostly on its own grid. Why? It keeps us from being involved in interstate commerce and so not regulated by the FERC.
California on the other hand has decided to import electricity from other states and therefore 'export' their pollution to those states.