Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How NOT to park your EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, that was painful to watch...

It’s an interesting one, actually. There are countless incidents where older people slammed on the accelerator instead of the brakes by mistake. That’s nasty in a sluggish ICE but I do wonder what the results will be in cars that do 0-60 in 3 seconds (as they become more ubiquitous).

There was also a brief flash of brake lights when it accelerated.

Had they got the brake pedal down, confusing it for a clutch. Then released it with the accelerator down, so did a launch start.

I'm always suspicious when people start filming a relatively banal event just before it gets interesting. Saying that... :eek:

Looks very much like security camera footage, I think. I have a clip somewhere of a skateboarder coming a cropper at the end of our drive from earlier in the year. The lad wasn't badly hurt, but I let him have a clip from the camera showing him coming down the lane, hitting the washed out gravel that had collected on the bend outside our house, and his (very graceful looking) slide down the road. One of the advantages of the tracking feature on some PTZ cameras now is that they will try and centre moving objects in the frame. One of ours can track through about 270 degrees, so as long as it's parked in a position when something comes into view, it just pans around to keep it centred, if it can.

Original thread says he was reaching into rear seats of car and accidentally floored it. Also says the car was 2 hours old. Glad no one was hurt, other than pride of course!

I've had exactly this happen to me in the M3 (except I didn't floor it)

I had just parked but forgot to put the car in park, my daughter was in her car seat right behind me and I reached around to see what she was upset about when I felt like the car was moving slowly. Turned around just in time before I hit the parked car in front of me.

Thinking back, I must have had my foot slightly on the accelerator but having obstacle aware in settings on probably helped.