Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you use a Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
The app on my phone says the last time I used one was January the something. What it doesn't say is that that was January 2022 🤣

I took delivery in October 2021 and did a few long trips, but generally I'm 100% home charging since then

do a lot of 2,000 mile trips, SW Florida - Key West (well, around 1,000) plus trips SW Fla - Wash DC area (~2,500miles) SW Fla Asheville, NC, Buffalo, NY ~3,500+
probably 230+ times (need to upgrade spreadsheet) ~84% superchargers, 16% home
MYLR

When I first got my car, I did a lot of 350 km trips to the cottage and often made a stop at the Supercharger in each direction (always stopped in winter)......now that I sold the cottage, I really only use it when I go to visit more distant family or friends about every other month. My "Charge Stats" for the past year say it's 5% of my charging.

When I got my 2023 model y Tesla had a promo of 10km free super charging (expire in 2 yr). So, I'm using that until that's done then I will do 100% home charging unless I'm road tripping or have no other choice.

Although my use case isn’t typical, I’ve free supercharged for 70% of my 150,000 miles.

I live in a major metropolitan area with superchargers near places we shop. Also, it is frequently easier to wait at a supercharger between meetings than to run home, especially since both service center and delivery centers have nice waiting areas. Occasionally I take meetings there.

I permitted and pulled wire for a 72A wall charger, since my car can charge at 72A, but I never bothered to hook it up.

This is not what Tesla intended, but on the rare occasion when superchargers fill up, I usually cut my stay short, so what Tesla is losing in energy costs to me, they are gaining in goodwill toward my referrals and next several Tesla purchases.

Here is the last twelve months. I have net metered Solar for the home portion:
IMG_0082.png

I don't have home charger but have free L2 at work. Usually it will be at least once a week during my day off. And I do a lot of road trips between Toronto, ON and Cambridge, MA, it will be multiple times a day for those weekend trips. It's about 50-50 between L2 and Supercharger/EC/EA.
2022 MYLR with 65000km and 5.6% degradation according to Tessie.

I’ve used Tesla superchargers 3 times but when my free period ends, I’ll only use them on road trips a couple times a year. Charging at home couldn’t be any easier, cheaper or more convenient!

I've always had Free Supercharging and more than half my miles are long road trips — I put 157,000 miles on my old S60 in seven and a half years, visiting twenty-two states and two provinces. However, with destination charging, usually at campgrounds, not all of the road trip miles were from Supercharging.

With my Model Y, I've put 7300 miles on it in three months. My log shows 907 Supercharging stops for the old S60 and 36 for the new Y LR. Some of my Supercharging stops are from playing the Wiki - Superchargers Visited game, so many were not necessary to get to my next destination.

My next road trip will be 1300 miles to Tucson and in March I will make the — now routine — 2300 mile trip to Oregon to visit family. In May I hope to make a 6000+ mile trip to eastern Canada and eastern US. I hope to make the Oregon trip again in late June for my mother's 100th birthday. Free Supercharging makes road trips a easier because the fuel cost is always zero!

Supercharging in South Surrey BC, my 400th different Supercharger Station:
Supercharging in South Surrey BC 20230509_190022307_HDR~2.jpg

Camping in Picacho Peak State Park, near Tucson AZ, while plugged-in to the RV pedestal:
Camping in Model Y at Picacho Peak State Park20231110ed_072235013.jpg

I use superchargers frequently as I've already made six round trips from New Jersey to Lake Worth Florida. I have a list of over 75 superchargers that I compiled from plugShare along I 95 and using the ferry from Cape May to Lewes, Delaware.

Attachments

• Tesla Supercharger Usage IMG_0375.PNG
    Tesla Supercharger Usage IMG_0375.PNG
    307.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Tesla FPL Evolution Chargers WPB Fl Turnpike IMG_9876.JPG
    Tesla FPL Evolution Chargers WPB Fl Turnpike IMG_9876.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 11