Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often to people try to race you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a rule, I NEVER EVER race people who try to get me to race them. I immediately slow down and let them pass me.

Trust me, you don't want to be anywhere near infantile people who want to race you and it is not worth it.

I could probably obliterate just about anyone who pulls up next to me, unless it was another Tesla but it is not worth it.

Basically drive on your own terms without letting other people compel you to take risks. What I mean is that if I'm at a red light and feel like launching or I feel like accelerating at an on ramp for my pleasure, I do it. Not to satisfy someone else's need to test their car against mine.

Have a good story to tell. A while ago a BMW M3 kept wanting to race me. Light after light he would honk, wave, whatever he could to get me to race. I completely ignored him. So finally he gets all frustrated and decides to show off in front of me by doing some weird acceleration burnout in front me after passing me. I immediately increased my following distance and good thing too.

The idiot lost control of his car, ran a curb, spun around on the middle of the street facing the wrong way with his suspension completely mangled. Now imagine if I had raced him and there were pedestrians on the sidewalk. I could have been implicated in the whole mess for racing on public streets and contributing to causing injuries or worse to others not to mention damage to my own car.

Good thing I stayed the hell away from him. Again, not worth it.

Enjoy your Tesla on your own and on your own terms. Many people who may try to race you are a danger to themselves, others, and to YOU! The more someone tried to race me, the slower I go. Nothing to prove as at the end of the day we both know that I have the faster car :D

I've had a few "takers", generally i'll oblige a "launch" 0-60 then slow down if only its a car that has a "chance", I would not entertain any 4 bangers!!!!

Once I was on my way to run an errand, I stopped at a light and a younger guy w/ his g/f pull up next to me in a newer Camaro, he's revving up and inching closer to the line, so I look over, they both have a straight face.....light turns green we both smash it, I pull away right away!!!!! At the next light, I look over and the g/f is laughing her ass off and the driver is just looking straight,

Another time, a younger guy in an older "F body" Camaro was literally racing to every single light, I wasnt gonna engage, but then he pulled up on me at a light, looked over, smiled and revved up!!!! So I nodded back.....light turned green and we went for it, same result, I pulled away quick, got to the next light and the guy just throws up his hands...LoL

I still find that some ppl know about Tesla's capability's but really a lot of ppl do not know. I will also say that I don't go looking races, there have been plenty of times I have turned down a "race".

Last edited:
Reactions: Don TLR and KidDoc
I do not have my P100D yet so zero.

But a Telsa did want to race me in my Audi. I was in a tuned S6 and a 90D pulled up next to me. I thought it was going to be another easy win. I was barely ahead when I let up at 60mph.

I was familiar with P90Ds at that point but had no idea the performance of ALL Telsa's.

Two months with the P100D and its never happened.
Same with my P90D

My previous car was a pretty sporty 420 hp Audi RS4 with flared fenders that would attract attention of the thumbs up and nice car ilk, but like the Tesla, people seem to leave it alone race wise. It's also a quick awd car so not an ideal target for someone.

My wife however...everyone wants to race her when she drives my cars. Funny.

I find that if I take-off quickly from a stop light, there is a higher chance someone will pull next to me at the next light and try to provoke. I don't usually respond.

But if someone is really annoying, I may pull-off the line quickly, make sure I pull back before I reach the speed limit, and let them win.

Almost never. My 5th year in a Tesla and less than a handful of red light races. A couple of times it was an older guy who wanted to see how his car compares, has always ended with a thumbs up and a smile from the other guy after he realized Tesla can beat his Corvette or whatever. The only negative reaction I had was from a motorcycle who tried to race me twice, lost, then flipped me a finger as I was exiting. The young guys in their modified cars do the opposite, they idle from a red light to indicate beyond any doubt that they are NOT racing. They know of Teslas and don't want their friends to see, possibly even they don't want to see (it's kind of soul crashing when your car which you poured a lot of love into to make it fast is left so far behind at the lights).

Reactions: Russell
This post also doesn’t qualify as street racing but two times a year an exotic car club I belong to rents out a local airport runway to do head to head drags. I joined with a modded BMWZ8 but I found that with only 450 hp it was just too slow. So when I got my P85D I decided to bring that. I embarrassed a lot of lambos, Ferrari’s ,GTRs and the like especially with the ludicrous upgrade. I stayed away from the guys with the1300 hp modded GTRs and Hefner twin turbo lambos. One fellow has a 1200 hp Jeep SR8 that makes a sound like nothing you have ever heard of. If you go on you tube and search for “DFC runway drag races - exotic and muscle cars flat out “you can see me beat a challenger or hellcat at 2:20 and then the funny post is I believe is around 9:24 when no one will line up against me and one of the organizers tells the flag girl. “ send him on his own, they know they are just going to get beat” and then he comments on the complete lack of sound at take off. I am converting one car guy at a time as I always race with a couple of menbers in the car. They can’t belive the launch.

At least in Oregon you can get a ticket for "exhibitionist speeding" for rapidly accelerating to the speed limit on a freeway on ramp in a short distance! No second car involved so no racing, no burning rubber and not exceeding the speed limit, car may have been a little loud, 302 Ford V-8 in an MG......

Hypothetically speaking, of course:

I received my P85 in Sept of 2013. I had challenges at least every other day, and destroyed most of them before the next stoplight. Quite a mix of cars, but mostly BMW, Porsche, and a few Audi's. It was pretty crazy. I called the slowdown to the next stoplight the “roll of shame” for the other drivers. Nobody really knew about or understood the instant torque of the Tesla at that time.

Fast forward to Dec of 2016 when I upgraded to my P100d. I think the word is out re Tesla, as in the last 14 months I have only had a couple of challenges at lights. Still destroying the competition from stoplight to stoplight.

I’ll go when it seems safe enough
Undefeated thus far, maybe 6-0 or so
Hey, I’m 65 and feel like I’m back when I drove Camaros in my youth

The best race was a newer Vette convertible with 2 young guys in it
My wife was with me and we weren’t sure they were going so we spotted them a couple car lengths and then flew by them. They were cool, gave us thumbs up at the next light
Most the others tend to not even want to come up to you at next stop. They assume their position!