Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often to people try to race you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this experience about 6 months ago.

I was in the left lane of a 2-lane left turn onto a 2-lane Freeway entrance ramp. To my right was a late model Dodge Charger. This on-ramp was long, and fairly steep.

I was accelerating slowly up the ramp from the turn when the Charger, which had a very loud exhaust system (you know the muscle car sound) caught up with me and started passing me. I thought, what the heck, why not??? So I depressed the accelerator and quickly passed the Charger. I reached 65 mph, the freeway limit, quickly and maintained that speed. I suspect the Charger driver was upset that I showed him up because when he caught up with me he was going at least 75 mph, or probably much faster. He did get to the freeway before I did, but only because I did not want to exceed the speed limit. It was nice knowing that if I had not slowed down he would have been left far behind.

I am not sure if he wanted to race me, or he just liked to waste gas. ;)

I actually see the opposite - a lot. I will be riding a two wheel vehicle and have P85,90,100, P- whatever wants to race me. Usually I am on a 28 hp 300cc "sport bike." They usually have a huge smile on their face when they beat me...at least until the next stop light when I split traffic to the front of the light and leave them 3-4 cars back.

I had a SLK black try and race me in Vegas, it was pretty funny since I didn't want to get arrested and a P85 smokes the SLK to 55 or 60, as fast as I want to go ton the strip (and it is too fast as that) he was trying to get us to go race on the freeway. Sure he would have won there but I also had a car with 4 people vs his bleached blond passenger that he was trying to impress. not into freeway racing

Happens to me a lot but I've never obliged except once (and it wasn't even a fast car).

I was exiting the highway in a sort of remote (almost industrial area) outside of Toronto and this Mini Cooper (I believe John Works edition) with a lot of modifications comes roaring behind me, literally a few feet behind my rear bumper. Really riding me but because the exit ramp with a steep slope down I was "regening" all the say down. Taking it easy so to speak.

We get to the bottom of the exit ramp and the light is red and we are both going to turn left. We are the only two cars at the light and the Mini is behind my S90D. The light turns green and I start my turn like a normal human being. Mini floors it and blows by me.

He gets caught at the next light (maybe 300 meters up the road. I pull up and stop at the light. My 12 year old son is beside me and I say... this punk needs to be taught who's the boss. Light goes green and I hammer it. Mini is getting smaller by the second in my rear view. He wasn't expecting it though and I get caught at the next light, he pulls up to me. Now he's raring to race. He's revving his engine.

Light turns green... same result.

We get stopped at third light. He looks over laughing and says "I give up". I laugh back. Light turns green, we both accelerate like normal human beings.

I have a long talk with my 12 year old about how he should NEVER do what he just watched his Dad do. He says "I know" but his face says... "I can't wait until I get to drive the Tesla". My application for father of year has been rescinded.

Not that often, but sometimes. What occurs more often is that some dude in a charger (or whatever) misinterprets me launching off the line as if *I'm* then one challenging them to a race. (Dude - everything isn't all about you). I'm just doing my own thing, people.

I'd say I get more attention from people who notice my use of AP on long stretches of freeway, where you're traveling next to the same cluster of cars for miles and miles. Speaking in broad generalizations, the younger drivers seem to get a kick out of it and will follow along side with lots of "thumbs up." But others seem unnerved and give me distance.

One time only ... & not any more ... now we just let 'em go. Anyway .... A6 - after the poor slob got left in the dust off a red light, he next tried as we entered a 2 lane cloverleaf freeway onramp. seeing that he thought he could out corner, he dove down into the inside lane to pass, but that was seriously to no avail. Musta fell stupid getting toasted by an SUV ..... 2 times. I felt stupid too, getting suckered into it.