Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry but the Security on Tesla's can be bypassed.

Moderators on here know how as well, but thankfully deleted the vulnerability details when they were discovered and published.

Some non-Tesla generic security tips here

I have RAM Bollards on my driveway, plus driveway Camera's (Sentry Mode is seperate), plus two factor authentication on my Tesla account to block unauthorised access, plus PIN to drive to stop attempted car-jacking, plus wheel locking bolts and now use a steering lock as well (especially when parked away from home).

I've even got access to use a Ground Anchor (which is used for motorcycles on the driveway) should any threat emerge where I felt a need to use it.

RAM bollards on your driveway will also stop random people/companies parking on your driveway, blocking access to your own car parking space. Which is currently Legal to do in the UK. If your car isn't parked on your driveway overnight it may not be insured against theft within 1/4 mile from your home. So ensuring your Driveway is available is important.

All physical security can be breached, the idea is to just slow them down or put them off completely.

Don't make it so easy to give an opportunist with a 'technology exploit trick' access and ability to drive away in a £60k car.

A targeted attack won't stop thieves though... because at the end of the day, the easiest target is YOU.

View attachment 787755
Just wondering...do those bollards work if there is a power outage?

This begins a 2min timer during which time the car can be started without the phone key, key card or fob being present

You need to have "Enable Keyless Driving" (I think that's the right option) enabled for that to work. Of course if you have used the APP to unlock the car then the person sat in the car can change the screen option ... and then ask you to start the car again :) so I'm not quite sure why that is a prerequisite!

I have a question. Not yet had a Tesla so I just don't know.

With your phone being the key, how far away so you have to be in order for it to lock?

For example if the car is on your drive and you go into your house, obviously you aren't really that far from your car, with most houses drives being right outside their door, does this impact the auto locking at all?

I find that Once you get a few feet away from the car, it locks after about 30 seconds. iPhone 13 pro.

It’s possible to approximate distance with Bluetooth, that’s how air tags / tile products work (and the covid app). I don’t know if Tesla does that though.

Reactions: Zeit93
With your phone being the key, how far away so you have to be in order for it to lock?

People seem to have different experiences, many seem to have to stand right next to the car to unlock and if the phone is in the back pocket then have to turn around, others find it will unlock two car-lengths away.

For example if the car is on your drive and you go into your house, obviously you aren't really that far from your car, with most houses drives being right outside their door, does this impact the auto locking at all?

I've found that going inside the house does affect it - for me roughly one car length through a wall and two car lengths in open space.

Not sure whether it's as simple as an iPhone/Android thing or not.

Reactions: Zeit93
Not sure whether it's as simple as an iPhone/Android thing or not.

Please add your experiences into the poll - How Far Away Does Your Phone Key Work to Unlock ?

I disabled the phone key after a couple of days on realising I could be sat the other side of a wall and someone be able to open the car, then went back to the keycard, then set up the phone as NFC, now back using the phone key but prepared to turn bluetooth off if necessary (still not comfortable with this). Only had the thing a couple of weeks but this is by far the biggest concern, at least there are options.

Only had the thing a couple of weeks but this is by far the biggest concern

Just in case anyone not aware, and not read earlier posts, you can turn on Pin-to-Drive, which will require entry of PIN number before the car can be driven, and is an extra line of defence for any of these passive-entry methods (including key fob). Then passive entry allows someone to have access to the contents of the car, but not to drive away. Setting Valet Mode can then be used to override pin-to-drive (if you do need to let someone have access to the car e.g. at a garage), as well as limiting max acceleration and top speed (and stops them changing your seat position etc. and pressing SAVE :( ). You can, separately, set PIN for the glove compartment (still required in Valet mode) - personally I can't think of the last time I put anything in glove compartment, and it definitely wasn't a set of driving gloves!

Accidentally leaving your phone in the car is going to, in effect, leave the car unlocked.

A whole cornucopia of 1st world problems

The car is doing triangulation but I think certain models of phone screw with that somehow.. but I'm not sure if there's a definitive list. It seems to lock a few inches away for me, with both android (pixel phones) and iphone, which I suspect is the intended behaviour.

You are right.

I'd accidentally found a very easy way to block it, using a WiFi hot spot.

I wouldn't rely on it as a tracker.
Interesting ... does this mean: if the car is driving along connected to your phone's WIFi hotspot it can no longer be followed using the app on a different phone (linked to your account) in a different location?

As long as the car has a way of connecting to the mothership it can be followed.. so a normal hotspot connection wouldn't affect it.. and it'll drop to LTE anyway if the wifi fails.

Out of LTE range (not many places in the UK like that, but they exist) obviously no way for it to be contacted.. but that would be true of any tracker.. radio deadspots are just things that can't be dealt with sanely (starlink dish on the roof maybe).

As long as the car has a way of connecting to the mothership it can be followed.. so a normal hotspot connection wouldn't affect it.. and it'll drop to LTE anyway if the wifi fails.

Out of LTE range (not many places in the UK like that, but they exist) obviously no way for it to be contacted.. but that would be true of any tracker.. radio deadspots are just things that can't be dealt with sanely (starlink dish on the roof maybe).
Maybe I misunderstood the earlier post from @Irata ... I thought they had discovered that the mere fact of being on a hotspot disabled tracking. So, that's not the full story ...