Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to dampen road/wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions for products and techniques to dampen road and wind noise?

My last car was a Lexus RX, the cabin of which was whisper quite. In comparison the MY sounds like a wind tunnel. Makes me less excited about the Y which cost $20k more than my RX.

Any advice on how to solve this “first world problem” would be greatly appreciated.

Using the search function would reveal dozens of ongoing discussions.

Use the magnifying glass "search" box, upper right. Click on "advanced", enter "wind noise." LOTS of information there!

There are kits on amazon that help dampen road and wind noise an amazon. Search for model y seal kit. Youtube reviews say they help. Unfortunately I cant give you a personal review yet since I'm still waiting for my MYLR. Good luck and do let us know if you get it/what you think

There are kits on amazon that help dampen road and wind noise an amazon. Search for model y seal kit. Youtube reviews say they help. Unfortunately I cant give you a personal review yet since I'm still waiting for my MYLR. Good luck and do let us know if you get it/what you think
None of these seal-kits work to dampen sound. The issue is, the MY is an open hatch with a glass roof. Sound is going to bounce around.

Tesla skimps on insulation and, I’m sure you are aware, the vehicles are poorly assembled.

An aftermarket parcel shelf may help somewhat. You could also try lining the whole car with dynamat. I don’t think either option is worth the cost or effort. Bottom line, it’s just not a quiet car and will never be on par with your Lexus in that regard.

None of these seal-kits work to dampen sound. The issue is, the MY is an open hatch with a glass roof. Sound is going to bounce around.

Tesla skimps on insulation and, I’m sure you are aware, the vehicles are poorly assembled.

An aftermarket parcel shelf may help somewhat. You could also try lining the whole car with dynamat. I don’t think either option is worth the cost or effort. Bottom line, it’s just not a quiet car and will never be on par with your Lexus in that regard.
Yeah, I guess this is the reality check I needed to hear. Tesla is pretty much living up to expectation that it would be a disappointment. :) but my husband has a long commute and this car enables him to use the hov lane, which is a substantial benefit.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I guess this is the reality check I needed to hear. Tesla is pretty much living up to expectation that it would be a disappointment. :) but my husband has a long commute and this car enables him to use the hov lane, which is a substantial benefit.
If you don't need the Supercharger network, and you're not concerned about maximum performance from your EV crossover commuter, check out the Mach-E. It's is much quieter (at least the two versions I tested, Premium AWD and GT Performance Edition). I think the Model Y is a better car in most aspects, but if an EV for HOV lane commuting is your goal, a Mach-E Premium should work fine.

Polestar 2 is also a lot quieter but not quite as quiet as Mach-E, mostly from having a bit more road/tire noise (I only tested the Performance version, with relatively noisy performance tires). The Polestar is legit fun , the dual motor version stacks up much better against Tesla 3/Y in terms of performance than a Mach-E, but if quiet is a top priority the Mach-E might still be better. Also Polestar 2 is much smaller than a Y...that's both good (for parking and maneuvering) and bad (for hauling people and cargo). Mach-E feels a little smaller inside than a Y but not by as much, I think it's bigger than Polestar 2.

There's also some new EV crossovers on the market now that I haven't personally tested.

The Y's combination of range/efficiency, power, space, packaging, supercharger network, and overall Tesla experience makes it tops for an EV crossover in my opinion, but I agree the noise level is an issue and you're best off never expecting Lexus quiet, even with a bunch of added sound deadening and seals.

Last thought...do you need a crossover/hatch/liftgate? If not test the Model 3. It's actually a lot quieter on the highway than the Y in my experience testing 2021 models and ultimately buying one. Ride quality is somewhat better too. Model 3 is still louder than a Mach-E or Polestar 2, but if you want a quieter Tesla without paying up for an S, maybe the 3 would do. You give up a lot of cargo hauling capability, and the back seat is much worse on the 3 (really low to the floor), but you gain some refinement and a lot more driving fun (in my opinion).

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Any suggestions for products and techniques to dampen road and wind noise?

My last car was a Lexus RX, the cabin of which was whisper quite. In comparison the MY sounds like a wind tunnel. Makes me less excited about the Y which cost $20k more than my RX.

Any advice on how to solve this “first world problem” would be greatly appreciated.
I worry that there is nothing what can be done. I compared my Lexus RX to my MYP and there is a substantional difference not only in noise but also in ride comfort (it can be slightly improved with 19" wheels and lower tire pressure). I am waiting for an electric vehicle from Lexus (or Toyota bZ4X) and looking forward to selling my MYP.

As someone that spent extensive time and money, there is nothing that can be done. I've changed to coilovers, doubled up layers of butyl inside and outside of the wheel wells with foam on top and added tons of insulation all along the floor boards. It's the glass roof, it got so bad I went back to a luxury ice car but am back in another Y and not am considering going back to an ICE or waiting for luxury EV's to come out. The Y doesn't have active noise cancellation and again, the glass roof is the problem.

people are so used to crazy engine noise in ICE and expect EVs gonna be dead quiet-when you're driving/rolling on the road they gonna be noise no matter what. Do not expect damn quiet-else idle & it's gonna be quiet!
...until the low-frequency "boom" and follow-up low-frequency drone of the AC compressor kicks in...

I added the RPMTesla noise cancellation kit...rubber door/frunk/hatch gaskets. I think it eliminated some of the "whoosh" of wind noise, but not much. The seals do help keep the door frames cleaner.

As someone that spent extensive time and money, there is nothing that can be done. I've changed to coilovers, doubled up layers of butyl inside and outside of the wheel wells with foam on top and added tons of insulation all along the floor boards. It's the glass roof, it got so bad I went back to a luxury ice car but am back in another Y and not am considering going back to an ICE or waiting for luxury EV's to come out. The Y doesn't have active noise cancellation and again, the glass roof is the problem.
How does your new MY compare in loudness to your previous car? Is it more quiet or about the same?

I've installed the noise reduction kits, and I do have to say it stopped some of the wind noise, but in reality, the biggest positive impact to reduction in wind noise was the SC installing a new glass roof and windshield under warranty. Adjusting my hatch stops helped with boominess, but I found that 2 items that most helped overall with noise/boominess are the roof glass sunshade shade and Tesla the rear side storage compartment liners/covers. I don't miss having and unshaded glass roof, as some light still passes through, but sound doesn't bounce around the cabin any longer. Road noise that was coming out of the two wells on each side of the rear of the car seemed to be dampened, which helped considerably.

I've installed the noise reduction kits, and I do have to say it stopped some of the wind noise, but in reality, the biggest positive impact to reduction in wind noise was the SC installing a new glass roof and windshield under warranty. Adjusting my hatch stops helped with boominess, but I found that 2 items that most helped overall with noise/boominess are the roof glass sunshade shade and Tesla the rear side storage compartment liners/covers. I don't miss having and unshaded glass roof, as some light still passes through, but sound doesn't bounce around the cabin any longer. Road noise that was coming out of the two wells on each side of the rear of the car seemed to be dampened, which helped considerably.
Which shade and covers did you get?

Reactions: JonB65
when did they start adding dual pane windows to the rear?

Not sure if it's made it to production yet but leaked release notes from europe show that 2022 model 3/y should include rear dual pane windows. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post outside links here but you can see the full list of potential upgrades on sites like insideevs or watch some youtube videos.
Fingers crossed that the upgrade will be implemented in North America by the time I pick up my car