Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to dampen road/wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1647754051883.png

Update: I looked over the car thoroughly and found that the windshield is misaligned with the roof glass. The circled area has the roof glass sitting higher than the windshield unlike the rest of the glass. I'm guessing that little lip causes the air to become turbulent at high speed. I went to a local sales center and looked at about 5 MYs and M3s and none of them were misaligned like mine. I showed it to the service center and they scheduled me for a windshield replacement in 2 weeks. Will update again after the replacement. Hoping the frame of the car isn't the culprit.

Reactions: enemji and tm1v2
Any suggestions for products and techniques to dampen road and wind noise?

My last car was a Lexus RX, the cabin of which was whisper quite. In comparison the MY sounds like a wind tunnel. Makes me less excited about the Y which cost $20k more than my RX.

Any advice on how to solve this “first world problem” would be greatly appreciated.
I reached out to Tesla and they install two thick rubber block on both sides of the reach trunk door well. This did reduce the air noise.

To me that just looks like it does the same purpose of the rigid stops, it prevents the trunk from resting on the rubber seal alone. I was hoping there was something for wind noise. I took some sound insulation and stuffed it up along the headliner, I can't tell if it made a difference.

I did however went back and removed the quarter panel (driver side) and added more butyl, like 5-6 layers, it sounds the same. My goal is wind noise and when going over small bumps. There was no where for me to add the trunk weight I removed from my luxury car to put in the rear, no mounting locations.

Has anyone had this added in the US and does it reduce the noise/ booming sound at all?

There are 2 people in posts buried in the Ear Pain/Pressure thread that have had them put in their MY in the USA.

Both said it didn't do anything.

I 3D printed a "replica" I crudely designed (printed in TPU) and it also did not seem to do anything. I 3D printed it because Tesla Canada said they don't have that part or service bulletin.

Just @Jhip seems to have had success with this.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy