Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to dampen road/wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've installed the noise reduction kits, and I do have to say it stopped some of the wind noise, but in reality, the biggest positive impact to reduction in wind noise was the SC installing a new glass roof and windshield under warranty. Adjusting my hatch stops helped with boominess, but I found that 2 items that most helped overall with noise/boominess are the roof glass sunshade shade and Tesla the rear side storage compartment liners/covers. I don't miss having and unshaded glass roof, as some light still passes through, but sound doesn't bounce around the cabin any longer. Road noise that was coming out of the two wells on each side of the rear of the car seemed to be dampened, which helped considerabl"y.
"Adjusting my hatch stops helped with boominess"
Can you elaborate on what exactly was the problem and solution, please?

Reactions: enemji
I put self stick urethane sound deadening on the actual wheel wells in the trunk. You have to pull the liner away from the side and reach down and in to do it. Just lay it on top of the metal and smooth it out. I put in a RPM trunk sound deadening kit which also helped. Note.. I do not have the subwoofer/amp in my M3. The biggest improvement I had was installing a new skid plate in the front that has the urethane foam on it. The freeway tire noise reduction was night and day. The rear skid plate reduced some motor whine but that was about all I could tell. The foam kit for the doors helped a lot with the wind noise.

• Informative
Reactions: Georgesb2 and tm1v2
I put self stick urethane sound deadening on the actual wheel wells in the trunk. You have to pull the liner away from the side and reach down and in to do it. Just lay it on top of the metal and smooth it out. I put in a RPM trunk sound deadening kit which also helped. Note.. I do not have the subwoofer/amp in my M3. The biggest improvement I had was installing a new skid plate in the front that has the urethane foam on it. The freeway tire noise reduction was night and day. The rear skid plate reduced some motor whine but that was about all I could tell. The foam kit for the doors helped a lot with the wind noise.
Interesting! While I guess it's a Model 3 and I'm not sure if it's different that's the first time I've heard the skid plate with sound dampening has had any actual effect on noise (and night and day apparently). The 3 or so people I've seen with a Model Y said they can't tell a difference in road noise with that skid plate on. I felt like that fit with my hypothesis that it's still basically just covering the battery packs which contain a lot of mass and should absorb a lot of vibrational energy from the road.

That's encouraging. I'm going to look into this further. I'm extremely sensitive to road noise. I have a Model 3 P. I'll bet it's a little quieter than the model Y due to trunk/open space/ etc. I did a complete sound deadening job on a 2011 Toyota Prius. It may have cut the noise down as much as half, but there's still a lot of noise. Get's to a point you can't make it better. "Law of diminishing returns" applies. I did everything inside and outside that was possible, including spraying sound deadening in all the wheel wells. I'm convinced that if the manufacturer doesn't put in quality windows, doesn't put isolation from the ground components to the interior, etc, then we can only make it so good. I was not aware of the ski plate changes and that that could help. I could use more details on this: "The biggest improvement I had was installing a new skid plate in the front that has the urethane foam on it." Where did you get it? Is there a video on the installation? In addition to the skid plate I may be buying a sound deadening system and installing it.
Thank you very much,
George

Reactions: SteelClouds
That's encouraging. I'm going to look into this further. I'm extremely sensitive to road noise. I have a Model 3 P. I'll bet it's a little quieter than the model Y due to trunk/open space/ etc. I did a complete sound deadening job on a 2011 Toyota Prius. It may have cut the noise down as much as half, but there's still a lot of noise. Get's to a point you can't make it better. "Law of diminishing returns" applies. I did everything inside and outside that was possible, including spraying sound deadening in all the wheel wells. I'm convinced that if the manufacturer doesn't put in quality windows, doesn't put isolation from the ground components to the interior, etc, then we can only make it so good. I was not aware of the ski plate changes and that that could help. I could use more details on this: "The biggest improvement I had was installing a new skid plate in the front that has the urethane foam on it." Where did you get it? Is there a video on the installation? In addition to the skid plate I may be buying a sound deadening system and installing it.
Thank you very much,
George
The skid plate being referenced is this: Model Y Skid Plates - Aluminum with Road Noise Reducing Urethane

Thank you very much,
George
Last week I was in a Prius Uber. Most horrible road noise I have experienced in a car

I virtually have no road noise in MY, I did put dense layers of foam (mat from a horse stall) that you can lay on top of the wheel wells if you remove your frunk and a few bolts, I just laid it on top. If you put butyl sheets and closed cell foam, it will help some but not as much as you think (I did that previously). As for this skid plate thing, I don't think the road noise comes from that area but more so wind noise from the roof. If you wanted to save $300+ dollars from getting that skid plate, maybe remove your stock plates and put sticky closed cell foam on top?

Right now I have the stock tires that came with the 22 M2P. Are there even quieter tires than that?
@Georgesb2 The Pirelli PZ4 in T0 Tesla spec? I thought those were pretty darn quiet as performance tires go. I'm sure there are quieter tires but maybe not among performance tires.

On the flip side the PZ4 T0 were underwhelming for actual performance. When I switched to 18" wheels I went with a different tire, which is a bit louder, but grips much better dry and wet, and doesn't squeal like the PZ4 did in hard driving. I'm happier with that tradeoff but it is a matter of priorities.

@Georgesb2 The Pirelli PZ4 in T0 Tesla spec? I thought those were pretty darn quiet as performance tires go. I'm sure there are quieter tires but maybe not among performance tires.

On the flip side the PZ4 T0 were underwhelming for actual performance. When I switched to 18" wheels I went with a different tire, which is a bit louder, but grips much better dry and wet, and doesn't squeal like the PZ4 did in hard driving. I'm happier with that tradeoff but it is a matter of priorities.
I have the stock Pirelli PZ4. The road noise is a bit loud on the rough type asphalt. The car performs really well. I've put it into 4 wheel drifts, so I suppose they could have more grip, but that's a tradeoff. I've considered 18" wheels. What wheels did you get? I don't think I want any more road noise however....
The 18" is supposed to get better range. Does it make much / enough range difference. Also as far as cornering, don't you lose some with the bigger tires? I assumed a small tire / large wheel combo was best for cornering?