Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to disable auto-on audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same problem when getting kids out of the car. I open the back door before closing the front to get around it, but the back doors shouldn't be doing this.

Agreed. I hate it when I try and load the kids in the car and the music starts blaring before I even have a chance to get them seated. I have to fumble for my phone to try and pause whatever it is that started playing.

Oh you guys, always making me go out to the car to check firmware versions :) Car has 8.0 (2.42.40).

Oh, and from the It Sure Would Be Nice Dept.:
It Sure Would Be Nice if the official Tesla phone app revealed the car's firmware version so you don't gave to go out to the car just to check it :)

Alan's remote S app does :)

Agreed. I hate it when I try and load the kids in the car and the music starts blaring before I even have a chance to get them seated. I have to fumble for my phone to try and pause whatever it is that started playing.
That was even more frustrating, put one kid in and it starts playing (of course I wasn't listening to something kid friendly)..get the phone and pause. Walk to the other side and open the door to put the second kid in and it starts right back up again.

This is a frustrating bug for me too. No matter if you muted or not the music will come back on by itself. I had lunch with Upper-Management the other day and we decided to take my car. I was a nervous wreck trying to get to the car before them to ensure "Straight Outta Compton" didn't start blaring with them being around.

• Funny
Reactions: JRMW
So does the radio not stay at Volume 0 for you guys if you roll down to it vs clicking? That's my workaround. Switch source to radio then roll wheel to 0. Stays that way until I turn it back up.
I've started doing that exact workaround these past few days. I'll roll the volume all the way down before I get out and upon returning when I open the door the volume stays down. It will start playing, but it won't be audible until I turn the volume up.

Reactions: Galve2000
Clicking and rolling the volume all the way down does the same for me. In fact there is no 0 just an X. When I finish taking a call on my phone using bluetooth the audio source always come back on. Even if it is the radio. The really need an audio off feature.

• Informative
Reactions: TpGn
Found this thread by goggling the auto-audio issue. It's incredibly annoying and I'm not sure why it was added. Muting does work for me but it's hard (and annoying to remember to do it every time I get out of the car. I talked to the local service center and they indicated that they've had many complaints about it. They suggested submitting a feedback form and seemed to think that if enough people companied, it would be removed on the next update. Does anyone happen to know where that feedback form can be found?

Found this thread by goggling the auto-audio issue. It's incredibly annoying and I'm not sure why it was added. Muting does work for me but it's hard (and annoying to remember to do it every time I get out of the car. I talked to the local service center and they indicated that they've had many complaints about it. They suggested submitting a feedback form and seemed to think that if enough people companied, it would be removed on the next update. Does anyone happen to know where that feedback form can be found?
I do not know where the form is but I would definitely submit something if I did. Hard to believe more people do not complain about this.

This audio issue is my number one complaint with the car. Very nearly my only complaint. Pause audio book playing on blue tooth, get out, close door, open other door to unload groceries, book starts playing. Open door to the car the next day, book starts playing softly so I can't hear it and I must back up after getting settled. Have audio off, make a phone call, book or music starts playing after call ends. It's ridiculous and it's been this way since I got the car 1.5 years ago.

The same thing used to happen with their streaming music service but I think they actually fixed that a few months ago so it least doesn't start up when a door is opened, although I feel like sometimes it still does - I may be misremembering. It may also start up after a phone call.

I don't think there's a general email or form to submit this sort of complaint, but they do monitor forums so I would +1 if you're reading this and want it fixed. You could also try sending it to your salesperson or whoever you're used to working with at Tesla service and ask that they pass it along.

This audio issue is my number one complaint with the car. Very nearly my only complaint. Pause audio book playing on blue tooth, get out, close door, open other door to unload groceries, book starts playing. Open door to the car the next day, book starts playing softly so I can't hear it and I must back up after getting settled. Have audio off, make a phone call, book or music starts playing after call ends. It's ridiculous and it's been this way since I got the car 1.5 years ago.

The same thing used to happen with their streaming music service but I think they actually fixed that a few months ago so it least doesn't start up when a door is opened, although I feel like sometimes it still does - I may be misremembering. It may also start up after a phone call.

I don't think there's a general email or form to submit this sort of complaint, but they do monitor forums so I would +1 if you're reading this and want it fixed. You could also try sending it to your salesperson or whoever you're used to working with at Tesla service and ask that they pass it along.

I agree totally. The car should know that if you get out of it and close the door that you don't want to listen to music from your phone and you definitely don't want it to steal the bluetooth connection away from your phone either until someone sits back in the seat. It's incredibly annoying to be talking on the phone when I get home, swap the connection to my iPhone, get out and walk around to plug in the charger, etc. and grab things out of other doors and it suddenly steals the connection back to the car. I don't understand why someone would ever want the car to do that. I understand if someone doesn't manually swap the connection they might want the car to keep playing like if you are just getting out of the car to get your mail but the way it works makes no sense.

Reactions: EVCarGUy and sdorn

Yes this is really poor development work and I am surprised more people do not complain about it. How hard is it to add an all audio off button?????????

Any updates on this? I really hate that the audio starts when the back doors open. Why can't the audio system start when the car is turned on with the brake?

After parking, it should
1) Keep playing until door is opened, at which point it should pause.
2) should stay paused until either
a) someone unpauses the audio system if car is off
b) Auto start when brake is pushed to start car

I was driving just now with the audio off since starting out on the drive and about 5 minutes later the radio suddenly started playing. Does not inspire confidence.
Sometimes when I approach the car the bluetooth on my phone is activated even though it is “off” (not fully off in the Settings but in the control panel).
Altogether media automation is not successful. Humans are underrated.

Any updates on this? I really hate that the audio starts when the back doors open. Why can't the audio system start when the car is turned on with the brake?

After parking, it should
1) Keep playing until door is opened, at which point it should pause.
2) should stay paused until either
a) someone unpauses the audio system if car is off
b) Auto start when brake is pushed to start car

I'd rather have 2b say:
If AM/FM/SiriusXM/Streaming Audio was last used, start that up again when the brake is pressed, otherwise keep media paused until play is pressed. I hate that my audio books start playing before I'm ready for them or even in the car.

So basically, Bluetooth and USB sources should stay paused until play is pressed. I don't care if the live media starts playing earlier.

Reactions: Galve2000