Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to install homelink module?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Located behind front bumper in front of frunk latch

Actually I found the connector for an M3 LR delivered in Dec-2019 right under the frunk latch, accessible by removing the frunk (NOT the bumper). I do agree there is most likely a bracket mounting behind the bumper and in front of the frunk latch but removing the front bumper takes a LOT more work.

Attachments

• homelink_bracket_mounting.PNG
    homelink_bracket_mounting.PNG
    694 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: lUtriaNt
How to install homelink module? I just did it. I ordered it online, and living over 220 miles from a service center, they set up an appointment, drove here, and installed it in my garage. All went smoothly. Works great. Why mess with trying to diy it? Not much to save really.

How to install homelink module? I just did it. I ordered it online, and living over 220 miles from a service center, they set up an appointment, drove here, and installed it in my garage. All went smoothly. Works great. Why mess with trying to diy it? Not much to save really.

Cause DIY is cool and waiting for Tesla mobile service stinks lol;) That's if you can even get Tesla mobile service at all, see postings from the disadvantaged M3 owners Owings Mill, MD, a visit to the SC was all they could get.

But I go agree with you...
  1. I verbally recommended typical M3 owners just pay the $300 for device and install in the video I made of the process: Tesla M3 HomeLink Module Install - DIY overview. "Pick your poison..."
  2. My actual reason for being so detailed with a DIY option is there should be ABSOLUTELY no reason for the $97 Tesla mobile service call appointment. Homelink features SHOULD be a remote OTA activation. If Tesla would manage their software feature updates better, DIY would be $150. Half the price:D

I had no extra fee beyond the $300. Didn’t matter if it was mobile service or at the SC. Maybe because I’m 250 miles away. The price seems high, except if you were to buy it as an option on most cars, it wouldn’t be less. I did upgrade/replace our opener in anticipation, and got a WiFi opener that can be accessed by app as well for $230, plus a few hours of my time, so I get the cost thing, but the Tesla Homelink is pretty cool, opening and closing as you drive up or drive away. No fooling around with the buttons.

Where’s the home link “button” these days? Do you find it works at decent distance? I have a neighbor, who I haven’t met yet, have to get out of his car and use the actual remote because the screen isn’t working (seen him sit in the car and push the button on the screen angrily)

It’s programmed to start at however many feet away you want. The mobile guy set mine up for 50 feet and seems to reliably work. It could go further, but I haven’t needed to try it. There’s no button to push. It does show up on the screen - upper right. It turns green when it gets near the door. There is an option to over-ride it. It tells you what it’s about to do before it does it.

1. My actual reason for being so detailed with a DIY option is there should be ABSOLUTELY no reason for the $97 Tesla mobile service call appointment. Homelink features SHOULD be a remote OTA activation. If Tesla would manage their software feature updates better, DIY would be $150. Half the price:D

Problem is, they don’t make those Homelink modules. They come from Gentex. Tesla is paying a HomeLink license fee to Gentex for every one of those modules. So even if they installed it and left it deactivated at the factory, Tesla would be paying Gentex for it. And given the cost of the module elsewhere, I suspect that’s not an insignificant license.

Problem is, they don’t make those Homelink modules. They come from Gentex. Tesla is paying a HomeLink license fee to Gentex for every one of those modules. So even if they installed it and left it deactivated at the factory, Tesla would be paying Gentex for it. And given the cost of the module elsewhere, I suspect that’s not an insignificant license.

I’m floored on why the “license” isn’t paid out on software activation vs hardware install.

Reactions: Matsayz
I’m floored on why the “license” isn’t paid out on software activation vs hardware install.

Do you really think the rest of the auto supplier industry is setup to work that way?

The auto industry SUCKS at software. They don’t understand it, they don’t do it well, and it’s not in their DNA. They sell parts and pieces - why would they even consider something consumer friendly? Just sell more widgets!

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz and MXWing
Potential Homelink customer question here: Since the Tesla Homelink module can't tell if my garage is open vs. closed, can you program it to always respond to manual input as opposed to distance/automatic?

I've had Homelink on my BMWs and liked it... of course it's a button you press under the rear-view mirror with the BMWs.

Potential Homelink customer question here: Since the Tesla Homelink module can't tell if my garage is open vs. closed, can you program it to always respond to manual input as opposed to distance/automatic?

I've had Homelink on my BMWs and liked it... of course it's a button you press under the rear-view mirror with the BMWs.

Absolutely. For me, I have to park in the driveway (Previous homeowner carved out part of the garage into living space - now it’s not deep enough to fit a freakin’ car.) We have two garage doors - when I leave home, sometimes I use the left, sometimes the right. So I have Homelink set for me to manually close the garage door, but when I arrive home, it opens the left door automatically. Pretty spiffy.

• Helpful
Reactions: turns2stone