Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to install homelink module?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if it will just start working the next time you get a software update.

I'd bet against it. The car carries with it an internal configuration file that tells it what options the car has. I haven't seen anything written about it in recent years, but here's an older article about it in a Model S:

Tesla Model S has secret menu that shows possible upcoming features

tesla-model-s-hidden-menu-upcoming-features.png

When my Raven was delivered without FSD and Ludicrous Mode even though it was supposed to have both, I'm pretty sure this is what Tesla service had to update OTA (after a bunch of hassle getting into the right queue and a couple of days of waiting) to give me the features.

• Informative
Reactions: btownalset
Good question. Anyone out there willing to install it and wait for a software update? :)
It does not pop up after an update. When I installed mine the mobile service guy tried just pushing a new update remotely, it did not work. It requires someone to actually plug into the car with a laptop and change the configuration. My car had at least three updates from the time I installed it to when the mobile service guy came to my house, and it did nothing.

I just installed the Homelink module today. I was hoping to figure out some sort of shortcut, but came up empty and took off the front bumper.

My Tesla Service Center says it’s 1/2 hour of labor, $87.50 (!), to perform the software update and it can’t be done with mobile service.
FWIW, I just had mine installed today by the mobile service and he updated the software via laptop. Not sure which service center said they can't do it but Owings-Mills did it for mine. The tech, somehow, did happen to scuff the paint off of the upper corners where the front fascia meets the fenders on both sides, so I'm already working to get that corrected but homelink is in and active

FWIW, I just had mine installed today by the mobile service and he updated the software via laptop. Not sure which service center said they can't do it but Owings-Mills did it for mine. The tech, somehow, did happen to scuff the paint off of the upper corners where the front fascia meets the fenders on both sides, so I'm already working to get that corrected but homelink is in and active
Owings Mills here, too. Weird. Here is the message about it:
“After discussing the situation with the mobile team and service center, it has been decided that this will require a trip to the service center and cannot be done by our mobile team. The cost will be 87.50 1/2 hour labor as long as the unit that was installed in in good working order. Thanks”

Owings Mills here, too. Weird. Here is the message about it:
“After discussing the situation with the mobile team and service center, it has been decided that this will require a trip to the service center and cannot be done by our mobile team. The cost will be 87.50 1/2 hour labor as long as the unit that was installed in in good working order. Thanks”
This kind of thing drives me nuts. “It has been decided...it can’t be done by mobile service”. No, it can be done by mobile service, they just decided they won’t do it, and they don’t give a reasonable explanation why. Way to put the customer first. The way Tesla has handled the homelink availability is baffling. There are so many better ways to handle this which would put the customer first, but for some reason Tesla is insisting that to get Homelink the customer (who just purchased a 40-70 K car) must be inconvenienced.

Ordered LR AWD 09/04/19, delivered 09/24/19, 09/19 build. Took the bumper off today and no bracket. :( I already purchased the module without bracket so now i'm stuck.
Interesting, either they left it off of yours, or more likely they have stopped including the bracket. I have an extra one (Because I thought it wouldn’t be there on my car, but it was). DM me if you want to buy it.

Just wanted to add another confirmation for a September 19 build M3 - no Homelink bracket installed. I ended up using outdoor double sided tape (same used for the front license plate) to stick it on the frame.

For those watching, I would not recommend the DIY route. Taking off the bumper was not too bad, putting it back on was actually much harder than I thought. Between the hassle of eBay, the bumper removal/replacement, no more bracket, and the need to still have Tesla install the software anyway, it really isn’t worth it the time and trouble. Better to pay the $300 and get it done easier and faster.

I had mine installed by a ranger. They actually sent two tech which was useful. They removed the frunk liner and some of the bolts on the bumper. The module was installed by feel by reaching down behind the now loose bumper. They put it all back together pretty quickly. Before the rangers arrived, I had received a software update with the Homelink enabled. After the module was installed, the update was initiated, took about 10 minutes and all was done. The whole operation took about a half hour, including the software. Removing the entire bumper would have been a lot more difficult, it was obvious at least one of the techs had done it before. Experience counts.

How did you order it and get mobile installation? I'm 3 hours from a service center myself. When I try to order the Homelink online, it makes you specify a service center, which I'm not keen to drive to!

I'd bet against it. The car carries with it an internal configuration file that tells it what options the car has. I haven't seen anything written about it in recent years, but here's an older article about it in a Model S:

Tesla Model S has secret menu that shows possible upcoming features

tesla-model-s-hidden-menu-upcoming-features.png

When my Raven was delivered without FSD and Ludicrous Mode even though it was supposed to have both, I'm pretty sure this is what Tesla service had to update OTA (after a bunch of hassle getting into the right queue and a couple of days of waiting) to give me the features.
That’s correct. There is a gateway configuration option for Homelink Type.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt