Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to install homelink module?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people remove the front bumper. The bracket is already installed so you just need to plug it in and secure it to the clip. I guess there are some mobile techs that can do it by opening up the frunk instead of removing the bumper. No one has actually uploaded pics of the process from what I've seen. There was someone awhile back who said they did a dself install and the SC only charged 20 bucks for the programming. It wont work without the programming.

Reactions: Phlier
Most people remove the front bumper. The bracket is already installed so you just need to plug it in and secure it to the clip. I guess there are some mobile techs that can do it by opening up the frunk instead of removing the bumper. No one has actually uploaded pics of the process from what I've seen. There was someone awhile back who said they did a dself install and the SC only charged 20 bucks for the programming. It wont work without the programming.

I’m going to be getting one of these for a DIY install. Eventually.

After installing the module, the plan is to use my Tesla phone app, select “Software Update” then in the following text field explain that I installed a HomeLink module and request the software for it. I’m thinking that they’ll be able to do it remotely without even needing to visit a SC.

After installing the module, the plan is to use my Tesla phone app, select “Software Update” then in the following text field explain that I installed a HomeLink module and request the software for it. I’m thinking that they’ll be able to do it remotely without even needing to visit a SC.

Thats a solid plan. Let us know how it goes.

I just got back from having it installed at the service center. I could only see the process at a distance, but they lifted the car, removed the driver's side wheel and installed it from there. The module install didn't take long, they had some trouble programming it which took the majority of the time. Works great though, exactly like it did on my Model S.

they had some trouble programming it which took the majority of the time.
There are a few reports of them having problems getting the software to "take." That's the only part that concerns me about my above plan. We'll see.

It's a ways down the planned accessories list for my car, though, and the wife is really slow about approving each item on the list. : /

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808
I had mine installed by a ranger. They actually sent two tech which was useful. They removed the frunk liner and some of the bolts on the bumper. The module was installed by feel by reaching down behind the now loose bumper. They put it all back together pretty quickly. Before the rangers arrived, I had received a software update with the Homelink enabled. After the module was installed, the update was initiated, took about 10 minutes and all was done. The whole operation took about a half hour, including the software. Removing the entire bumper would have been a lot more difficult, it was obvious at least one of the techs had done it before. Experience counts.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I had mine installed by a ranger. They actually sent two tech which was useful. They removed the frunk liner and some of the bolts on the bumper. The module was installed by feel by reaching down behind the now loose bumper. They put it all back together pretty quickly. Before the rangers arrived, I had received a software update with the Homelink enabled. After the module was installed, the update was initiated, took about 10 minutes and all was done. The whole operation took about a half hour, including the software. Removing the entire bumper would have been a lot more difficult, it was obvious at least one of the techs had done it before. Experience counts.

How does Tesla make money on this?

Why they didn’t negotiate with homelink to have it installed as unactivated hardware I have no clue.

Reactions: Callawayc7
How does Tesla make money on this?

Why they didn’t negotiate with homelink to have it installed as unactivated hardware I have no clue.

There's no money made on any of the installations. Its a net saver for them not putting it in but its a wash every time someone orders. You would think they would just make a 300 dollar factory option so they profit but I guess they don't think its worth it.

There's no money made on any of the installations. Its a net saver for them not putting it in but its a wash every time someone orders. You would think they would just make a 300 dollar factory option so they profit but I guess they don't think its worth it.

I actually meant to ask:

How does Tesla not lose its ass on each of these installs.

How much is two guys
-Transit to and from a customer site
-Labor, workers comp, vacation, payroll tax + anything and everything under the sun

hardware + licensing + support obligation for Homelink.

Cars are not build to order anymore so there wouldn't be a factory option but FFS a ton of villages are missing all their idiots as they went to work for Tesla.

They can't install spoilers, I have no idea how they are going to pull off HW3 upgrades at this rate.

I just installed the Homelink module today. I was hoping to figure out some sort of shortcut, but came up empty and took off the front bumper.

My Tesla Service Center says it’s 1/2 hour of labor, $87.50 (!), to perform the software update and it can’t be done with mobile service.

• Informative
Reactions: Fossil Fool

I would never agree to push factory software to an end-user after they installed something on their car.

I just installed the Homelink module today. I was hoping to figure out some sort of shortcut, but came up empty and took off the front bumper.

My Tesla Service Center says it’s 1/2 hour of labor, $87.50 (!), to perform the software update and it can’t be done with mobile service.
It can be done with Mobile service, because that is how I did it. Installed myself and had mobile service come out. He plugged a laptop into a port under the drivers side dash to activate it. Computer showed it was active but it didn’t show on the dash. Then he spent an hour and a half resetting the car by unplugging the 12 volt and the high voltage under the rear seat. Finally I think he also reset it using the buttons on the steering wheel and the icon finally popped up. Still only charged for the half hour though.

Great for them. I just think it’s poor practice.
I would agree if I had done a potentially unsafe mod, "Hey, yeah... I just installed a 980 rear drive module in my SR+. Can you go ahead and send me the software for it?"

But we're talking about a HomeLink Module here. It opens garage doors. Not exactly a huge safety issue.