Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to justify Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got all the options I wanted but the Tow Hitch is the only thing I was considering. The only thing I thought about was to haul stuff but I don't really know how to tow stuff nor have any experience in it. My parents don't recommend getting jet skis or ATVs and they never have done that stuff. But it's very likely someone at my school had parents that did this stuff and know how to tow stuff. And if I got it, I would have no one to help me and I'd have to figure it out myself because my parents never towed stuff nor will they want to learn how.

I thought I was missing out on this idea of towing stuff like boats or mobile homes. Is it really a huge burden to tow stuff or are there people who think they can't live without the towing ability of a car? How would you know if you are someone who can live that type of life of going to Glamis or Lake Havasu and taking your ATVs or Jet Skis or Boats? I don't even have space for that stuff, I live in a suburb SoCal OC neighborhood and my driveway won't fit a boat if I want to come in and out the garage. I sometimes see some neighbors park boats or towable mobile homes but I don't know if its short term or even allowed.

Plus if I have no need to tow stuff, would it just be an eye sore of my car because it will have a panel instead of a flush finish on the back? The only things I thought about using the tow hitch were for bikes, but I don't know how long it takes to take on and off that tow hitch accessory. I'd like to take bike around maybe that is something I'd like to do. I may be fine just putting it on my roof if I can learn how to do it. I personally think hauling bikes will be the only thing I would want to do, but nothing beyond that. Hopefully a roof rack will fit all my future needs if in case I want to own a kayak but I don't see myself doing that.

The only thing I do is snowboarding which can easily fit in the trunk. Or just get a roof rack if I want that cool factor of snowboards on the roof so can have more trunk space and the cool look that this Tesla Model Y is going to snowboard. I would like to do bikes, which I hope I can just put on my roof. I thought using tow hitch would affect supercharging like could it be hard to supercharge if you must back in?

I have not received my vin yet, so I still have time to decide but probably not much time. I have not added a tow hitch. My update time is now March 3-31

Reactions: AJ..
u can rent trailers from uhaul or home depot if you ever need to haul things that either don't fit or don't want to dirty the interior. there is no mileage charge and at $15/day for a 4x7, much cheaper than renting trucks.

as for bikes, keep in mind tongue weight limit of 160 lbs (350lbs for trailers). for couple bikes and carrier it should be fine but not if you want to carry 4-5 walmart bikes or 2-3 ebikes.

i ordered it with the hitch as i have a jet ski. even though wife's ice suv already has a tow hitch, i got it for flexibility for when she is at work. for travel trailers, y is inadequate for towing decent sized trailers given only 350lb tongue weight and 3500lb capacity not to mention range issues while towing. i leave that up the the ice suv with 500lb tongue weight and 5,000 lb capacity.

as far as supercharging, bike rack shouldn't be an issue. with trailers, some stalls at the end are reserved for pull in charging instead of backing in. otherwise, trailer will need to be disconnected for charging unless there are plenty of available spaces.

tow cover is there regardless of if you order the hitch or not.

Reactions: RNHurt and BailMY
We just purchased a model Y with tow hitch in order to give more flexibility when travelling. I also don't intend to tow a boat, ATV or camper trailer as range on the highway (>60 mph) can be reduced by 50%. I may at some point acquire (or just rent) small utility trailer to move items like furniture around town (like major purchase from local Costco). Note previous car was a minivan and could accomodate some of these moves with both second and third row seats folded.

Main purpose of trailer hitch is for hitch accessories like cargo box, ski rack and bike rack. Even though it may be possible to have such accessories mounted to the roof rack, reduction in range at higway speeds is far less with hitch accessories compared to roof mounted accessories. For example a 12 cu ft roof box typically results 20-30% reduction in range at highway speeds where a comparable size hitch mounted box results in 5% reduction in range. It is also easier to access these items from lower height than the roof. I have already purchased the Yakima Exo Swingbase with additional Top Shelf as well as gear locker (roof box equivalent) and Exo snowbank (ski rack) for this purpose. The gear locker easily fits three smaller golf bags for our family of four (only three of us are golfers).

its $300 extra to have it installed afterwards and it is not a trivial job for the install process. there is chance to damage clips and such even when done at tesla. besides, u know what they say...it is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.;)
For clarification, whether you order the tow hitch package when you purchase the Tesla Model Y or after taking delivery the Tesla factory does not install the tow hitch. The local Tesla Service installs the tow hitch.

For clarification, whether you order the tow hitch package when you purchase the Tesla Model Y or after taking delivery the Tesla factory does not install the tow hitch. The local Tesla Service installs the tow hitch.
I find that unlikely since there were several in stock Model Ys at my local Tesla location in Kitchener with the Tow Hitch option. I doubt the local service center would be installing tow hitches on random in stock model Ys. These are being installed prior to delivery at the local service center. This is probably why there is a $300 price difference between factory order tow hitch vs tow hitch kit package to cover the additional labour of removing rear bumper to install at service center. Much easier to install at factory before bumper is installed.

I guess I'm not sure if your post is even real. My goodness. On the slim chance this could be real:

I bought a Ford Escape 2L turbo for my daughter after college and moved her and her possessions in it towing a U-haul trailer across 4 states. The tesla would fight range, but it could be done. She has it to this day.

I didn't order the factory one and regretted it, have one and a magnetic cover on the way. And I have all kinds of tow vehicles already. But what if I want to throw bike racks on it, use a load extender on it, move something trivial like a SXS across town, or..... Better to have and not need.

On the other hand I'm not at all sure you should be towing anything at this time in your driving experience.

BTW, the cost for a factory unit, installed, with wiring, is not unreasonable. If ordered its installed at the factory. If you have the local Tesla center install the hitch later it's quite a bit more.

Reactions: Vin_L
I find that unlikely since there were several in stock Model Ys at my local Tesla location in Kitchener with the Tow Hitch option. I doubt the local service center would be installing tow hitches on random in stock model Ys. These are being installed prior to delivery at the local service center. This is probably why there is a $300 price difference between factory order tow hitch vs tow hitch kit package to cover the additional labour of removing rear bumper to install at service center. Much easier to install at factory before bumper is installed.
Nevertheless that is how Tesla does it. Tesla does not vary their production line to install the tow hitch package. If you purchase the tow hitch package when you order the Tesla Model Y the local Tesla Service team installs the tow hitch before final delivery. In the past when there have been parts shortages some Tesla Model Y owners who purchased the tow hitch package received their Tesla Model Y without the tow hitch installed. These Tesla Model Y owners were later notified by Tesla that their tow hitch had been shipped, they needed to schedule a service appointment via the Tesla app to have the tow hitch installed.

Curious as well. Anyone know the net positive difference in tow hitch hardware? Best I can find is +/- 60 lbs. To me that's a huge permanent weight penalty which outweighs any potential use case and on a MYP makes zero sense.
Why is 60lbs huge? The car doesn't notice 60lbs. Your range is unchanged, tire wear unchanged, the list goes on.

I tow a trailer and use my hitch for a bike rack on our MYP - it's not like it's a track car. Just a slightly lower MYLR that rides even worse. :D

Reactions: dzajic
The Y has a lot of room inside. With no experience towing, there is a lot of room for things to go wrong as you do learn. The Y towing limit is so low, the hitch is really only useful for a cargo box or bike rack. Perhaps if you were handicapped and needed to take a scooter on everywhere with you it would be worthwhile. . . . . . . .
Consider that if you spent the $1,000 for 5 shares of Tesla stock (currently), if the stock goes to $40,000 as quite a few are forecasting, you would have $200,000. That's quite an investment for something that could be handy, but will likely be unused?

Having said all that, I must confess that I bought my Y with a tow hitch because add-ons are such a hassle with a Tesla and I was both young and foolish then.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Nevertheless that is how Tesla does it. Tesla does not vary their production line to install the tow hitch package. If you purchase the tow hitch package when you order the Tesla Model Y the local Tesla Service team installs the tow hitch before final delivery. In the past when there have been parts shortages some Tesla Model Y owners who purchased the tow hitch package received their Tesla Model Y without the tow hitch installed. These Tesla Model Y owners were later notified by Tesla that their tow hitch had been shipped, they needed to schedule a service appointment via the Tesla app to have the tow hitch installed.
there is a reason its called "factory installed" hitch.

it takes over 2hrs to install the hitch and with the volume of orders, they won't have the manpower to handle so many hitch installs at the service center. it would make much more sense to install them at the factory prior to putting on the bumper which would mean 2hr less labor cost. after all, tesla is all about efficiency.

it is understandable though during a shortage as you stated. in fact, it was common practice among manufacturers during the shortage to move the car without certain features then retrofit them later when parts became available.

Reactions: Daekwan
I would not construe that just because an article from Drive Tesla from 2020 describes the Tow Hitch as factory-installed makes this true.

The Tesla.com site simply states:

Tow Hitch
$1,000 (US price)
High strength, Class II steel tow bar capable of towing up to 3,500 lbs

Perhaps someone has more recent information regarding the Tow Hitch (whether the Tow Hitch option purchased at time of order is installed during manufacturing/assembly or installed at the Service Center just prior to or shortly after delivery.)

As a homeowner, I can't believe people live without a tow hitch. I also have a utility trailer that works better than a truck bed. It has a ramp gate so I can drive right into it, or use my appliance dolly to walk right up. Picking up furniture, appliances and large bulk items is a breeze, just hitch up and go. Also disposing of yard waste is simple and easy.

My parents didn't tow either, but a farmboy coworker taught me everything. The easiest thing to do is put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel instead of the top while backing up. If you want the trailer to go right, move your hand to the right, if you want it to go left, move your hand to the left. Start slow and watch the trailer turn, once you have the correct angle then straighten it out. I'm sure there's youtube videos to get you started.

Watch some youtube videos on how to hitch. Make sure the ball is snug, there's a bolt on the trailer tongue to loosen or tighten the ball receiver. You want to tighten it snugly to marry it to your ball. You don't want the ball clasp to close down easily. I usually tighten it so it needs a little slap to tighten onto the ball. Put your chains into an X pattern below the tongue to catch it incase the ball comes loose.

As far as towing an RV, You could probably tow an Aliner, Trailmanor or a super aerodynamic trailer like a Safari Condo. But range is very limited towing this much weight with a large frontal area with a model Y. A single 4 wheeler on a utility trailer or Jet Ski will probably have decent range.

Reactions: gtae07 and vlee
I would not construe that just because an article from Drive Tesla from 2020 describes the Tow Hitch as factory-installed makes this true.

The Tesla.com site simply states:

Tow Hitch
$1,000 (US price)
High strength, Class II steel tow bar capable of towing up to 3,500 lbs

Perhaps someone has more recent information regarding the Tow Hitch (whether the Tow Hitch option purchased at time of order is installed during manufacturing/assembly or installed at the Service Center just prior to or shortly after delivery.)

lol seriously? think of it this way. if you're buying a burrito at chipotle, would they add all the toppings you asked for then leave out one topping then wrap the burrito. only to have someone else unwrap the burrito and add the remaining topping? it is massively inefficient way to do things.

Reactions: JetFalcon