Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to lock up your private charger in a condo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do your neighbors all have teslas? You would think that they don't and wouldn't be able to use your HPWC?

Also, as mentioned, there will have to be a disconnect somewhere and those all have lever switches that accept a lock.

an example -

https://www.amazon.com/SIEMENS-GNF3...1520183082&sr=8-13&keywords=disconnect+switch

Well - Merry Christmas - here is the perfect $29 solution. And they have many other options

Multi-Power Plug Lockout Box
I am shocked with some of the things people do here in this building that is why I am taking this route. I like this lever switch as well. Thanks you for your suggestion. All you guys are aweso .me thank you all. Will post picture once my setup is complete.

Obviously I don't live where you do but I would hope that most Tesla owners are civilized enough not to use another person's charger if the other person does not want them to use it. Since it's hard for other EV owners to use a tesla charger (there are some adapters and such but they are pretty rarely in use), I would just put up the HPWC and maybe a sign saying that it's not for public use and leave it at that.

Maybe Tesla should make chargers like europe where you need to bring your own cord...

Reactions: APotatoGod
Well, I installed a HPWC at my office and .... now with M3 owners and "paid" supercharging, it's become a favorite after hours stop for a few owners ... While I dont mind assisting anyone low on charge, I'm looking right now at a M3 parked in another tenants space using my HPWC since yesterday.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
Well, I installed a HPWC at my office and .... now with M3 owners and "paid" supercharging, it's become a favorite after hours stop for a few owners ... While I dont mind assisting anyone low on charge, I'm looking right now at a M3 parked in another tenants space using my HPWC since yesterday.
Bunch of cheapskates. Lock it and someone would complain.

I think Tesla should add billing for private HPWC into the car. It can identify them by GPS location and possibly handshake. Owner can set the price and rules. Tesla would take a cut for managing the transaction.

Hello Everyone. We have moved into a new condo that has parking stalls pre-wired for EV charging station installation. These parking stalls were designed to be connected to our own meter. My plan is to install a Tesla wall charger. My question is " is there away to setup the charger that others cannot use my private charging station?" Anyone have any ideas as to how to lock up the charger or the cable?
- How many Amps can you get?

- Is there a NEMA plug or only a connection box?

If you have 50 A or less, you can just use use the UMC included with the car and take it with you when going for a long trip.

In my personal case, I used a 19" Stern locked cabinet and I installed a NEMA 240 V 30 A plug inside.
550-200.jpg

So I can keep the UMC and the cable locked. I also added a safety switch and a power meter:.

2018-11-28-evse-cabinet-closed-jpg.358314

2018-11-28-evse-cabinet-open-jpg.358315

Last edited:

I installed an HPWC at one of my offices and I'm there once or twice a week. I shut the breaker off every time I lock up for the night.

People are welcome to use it during working hours, though.

I installed an HPWC at one of my offices and I'm there once or twice a week. I shut the breaker off every time I lock up for the night.

People are welcome to use it during working hours, though.

Yeah, unfortunately, the breaker is now off.

I dont mind helping out, however, I've become this guys main charging station (he's a frequent visitor after watching my security cameras).

I dont mind helping out, however, I've become this guys main charging station (he's a frequent visitor after watching my security cameras).
Could you put some sugar in the electrons and foul the AC to DC converter? :)

On a serious note, I feel this will become a bigger issue as more EVs hit the streets trying to plug in everywhere. Some to make it to their destination, some to save some cash. It’s theft. No different that shoplifting a soft drink. Over and over.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod

The JuiceBox seems to be an interesting option, however I found some issues comparing with the Tesla chargers:

1. Requires WiFi, which might not available in a garage. Otherwise controlling who can use it is an interesting option.

2. You need to use a J1772 adapter when using with a Tesla, and remove it after usage otherwise it can be lost or stolen.

3. The device use a NEMA 14-50 plug, so you need to use an adapter but the other alternative is only a 30 A and need to be set manualy.

4. The portableTesla UMC provides 120 V and 240 V, 15A to 50 A adapters, and the Tesla UMC can detect what plug is used.

5. The wall mount Tesla UMC can be used up to 240V 80 A.

6. The JuiceBox uses a plug, so it requires a box to store it like the Tesla portable UMC.

I dont mind helping out, however, I've become this guys main charging station
(he's a frequent visitor after watching my security cameras).

I noticed on PlugShare that you can add your own 'Residential' plug to make it available for public access,

which can be helpful if someone is stranded especially if there is no 'Network' charger nearby.

However, you can request to be contacted in advanced, and put a sign that otherwise any vehicle blocking the driveway will be towed.

In my case, the garage needs an access card and if I am at home I need the spot to park my car so this would not be practical.

• Helpful
Reactions: dogldogl
The JuiceBox seems to be an interesting option, however I found some issues comparing with the Tesla chargers:

1. Requires WiFi, which might not available in a garage. Otherwise controlling who can use it is an interesting option.

2. You need to use a J1772 adapter when using with a Tesla, and remove it after usage otherwise it can be lost or stolen.

3. The device use a NEMA 14-50 plug, so you need to use an adapter but the other alternative is only a 30 A and need to be set manualy.

4. The portableTesla UMC provides 120 V and 240 V, 15A to 50 A adapters, and the Tesla UMC can detect what plug is used.

5. The wall mount Tesla UMC can be used up to 240V 80 A.

6. The JuiceBox uses a plug, so it requires a box to store it like the Tesla portable UMC.

We installed our EV Motorwerks "WattBox 200" JuiceBox in 2015 and Tesla High Power Wall Charger (gen1 HPWC) on a 100A circuit (80A max charge). This was concurrent with our 2015 MS P85D purchase.

Our JuiceBox (and many others... see their forum) suffers from randomly re-occurring "JuiceBox 010101XXXXXX went offline" and "JuiceBox 010101XXXXXX is back online" ERRORS which can affect your charging AND your JuiceBox / EV JuiceNet data logs. These errors are from EV Motorwerks server issues, NOT our hardware.

JuiceBox also reported the same 43kWh charging session TWENTY TWO times on a day in last month (932.8 kWh)... and completely missed several days of charging when their EV Motorwerks servers were down. Ouch.

We also enrolled our JuiceBox in OhmConnect in 2015 with nice financial initial results... but OhmConnect change

When we had a problem with our Tesla HPWC initially, Tesla sent a Tesla Ranger onside who replaced the HPWC cable free... something I doubt EV Motorwerks would do. Our Tesla HPWC is also covered by Tesla's 4-year warranty since it was purchased on the same invoice with our Tesla (which HPWC "extended warranty" I believe Tesla no longer offers)

YMMV but IMHO the Tesla HPWC is a better choice... Plus it supports Tesla which is good for all of us in the long run!

Attachments

• IMG_3385.JPG
    IMG_3385.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 460
Reactions: NeverFollow
Ive just stumbled upon this older thread... the CP signal going to the cord set can be interrupted. It's a very low current wire, so a super small relay could be used. It would be possible therefore to get a RF remote from ebay and use that to enable / disable the CP pilot signal. I can't find the color code for that particular pin but it can't be that hard to identify. You know what would be even cooler.... to have a remote switch that was on a timer and it would only stay on 6 or 8 hours... then you wouldn't forget to turn off.

Oh and clipper creek sells EVSE with a key switch in the side of it.... you could do that too with a keyswitch off ebay. The way the clipper creek unit works is that the key is momentary.... it simply powers a latching relay for a moment.... when your car disconnects (ie when the contactor in the EVSE drops out) the relay releases and the unit cannot restart until the key is used again. Super simple.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
Hello Everyone. We have moved into a new condo that has parking stalls pre-wired for EV charging station installation. These parking stalls were designed to be connected to our own meter. My plan is to install a Tesla wall charger. My question is " is there away to setup the charger that others cannot use my private charging station?" Anyone have any ideas as to how to lock up the charger or the cable?

Frankly, you are starting out relatively securely. The Tesla wall connector can only charge Tesla vehicles. How likely do you think it is, that someone with the means to own a Tesla, will be trolling your parking stall and grab your spot to steal $5 or $10 worth of electricity, particularly since it takes hours to get a meaningful charge. I think the risk is trivially small. If you are going to be away for an extended period, simply turn if off. I'd bet even if you published it on Plugshare as open to the public and free, you would get no takers. It is just not that attractive.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I recently installed a charging station in my condo parking spot and was worried about people charging when I was not home. After some trial and error I found a lockout tagout device on amazon that works perfectly.

ZING 7294 RecycLockout Lockout Tagout, Universal Plug/Forklift/Cylinder Lockout, Recycled Plastic
IMG_1917.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: ai4px and brkaus
I recently installed a charging station in my condo parking spot and was worried about people charging when I was not home. After some trial and error I found a lockout tagout device on amazon that works perfectly.

ZING 7294 RecycLockout Lockout Tagout, Universal Plug/Forklift/Cylinder Lockout, Recycled Plastic
View attachment 586668

It's not clear to me why people are so concerned about this? The equipment is only capable of supplying 48 amps (and the Standard Range Model 3 can only use 32 amp of that). 48 amps equals 11.5 kW or 11.5 kWh per hour. Since a kWh costs, on average, about $0.13, that means for every hour someone is plugged into your charger they could make your electric bill go up by less than $1.50. In most home charger locations it would be difficult to be plugged in for long without being noticed and this would constitute theft of electricity, I just don't see it as being something to spend a lot of worry on. Someone doing this would probably be in a real bind and only plug in for enough time to make it to the nearest Supercharger.

In other words, whoop-dee-doo!

The inconvenience of having to open a paddle lock every time I wanted to plug-in would be a MUCH bigger deal than the thought that an unscrupulous Tesla owner might try to scam some free electrons on my dime!