Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to open ans close the windows with the key ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The simple solution is to change the fob button sequence for window opening to something that makes it more difficult to trigger accidentally.

I also wonder if some of the window opening events were accidental due to a knee hitting a window button while accelerating hard or turning. I've done it several times with music going right before parking and hadn't noticed until later that a window (usually rear) was open.

I was also in the minority that missed this feature when they took it away. I'm also one of those people that while at home my app is completely useless and on a hot summer day it was nice to be able to drop the windows to allow the cabin to cool before you got in...especially for those trunklings. Now we all have to wait for the ac to kick in.

It would be a nice feature if they brought it back but I don't see it happening...there's always two sides and the grass is greener stories..for tesla to try this again there would likely be far more upset people. Just my opinion.

Don't give up!

I was also in the minority that missed this feature when they took it away. I'm also one of those people that while at home my app is completely useless and on a hot summer day it was nice to be able to drop the windows to allow the cabin to cool before you got in...especially for those trunklings. Now we all have to wait for the ac to kick in.

It would be a nice feature if they brought it back but I don't see it happening...there's always two sides and the grass is greener stories..for tesla to try this again there would likely be far more upset people. Just my opinion.

Come on! We can't give up on this so easily. :wink: The car is uber programmable. They should bring back the window fob control but just put an option to disable it in the UI. If there is a limitation on what the fob is capable of doing and Tesla has to keep the long hold to drop the windows, fine. At least those that don't want the feature can just disable it. Those that do want the feature take the risk of accidentally dropping their windows. They will just need to be more careful with their fob to prevent unwanted interior rain.

Reactions: .jg.
There are many things the smartphone apps are good for. But as long as they are as sluggish as they are by going through Tesla servers and dependent on the car and you being connected through sometimes unreliable connections, there are things they do not do well.

This is one example where doing the fob correctly as pointed out in this thread is the right answer and could be sorted out satisfactorily with little effort.

There are many things the smartphone apps are good for. But as long as they are as sluggish as they are by going through Tesla servers and dependent on the car and you being connected through sometimes unreliable connections, there are things they do not do well.

If your phone/car are both connected to Wifi it takes about 2 secs to connect (no sluggishness in my experience) and that's a lot faster than getting my key fob and walking to the car. If you're away from home and not on WiFi then leave the AC on when you exit the car, it'll resume automatically as soon as a door is opened.

This is one example where doing the fob correctly as pointed out in this thread is the right answer and could be sorted out satisfactorily with little effort.

I agree.

It would be essential also in Europe, especially in countries with very hot summer. It is useful to open the windows in the last 10 meters before parking, after park, after get out with the windows down and only AFTER close windows whit the fob.

As well as, on the contrary, open all the windows from the fob before boarding, AFTER start etc, without smartphone in hand ..

Air conditioning is a parallel, non-exclusive, than the open windows in the parking operations, so is parallel the smarphone for long distance.

Hopefully in a future upgrade, including in Europe all hi-cars have this option windows remotely controllable, very useful ...

for tesla to try this again there would likely be far more upset people

If they enabled it by default, certainly those that complained originally would be upset, but as long as it was "opt-in", I don't see why anybody would mind.

This feature on other vehicles I have owned is completely useless.

This post was pretty useless (to me).

It would be essential also in Europe, especially in countries with very hot summer. It is useful to open the windows in the last 10 meters before parking, after park, after get out with the windows down and only AFTER close windows whit the fob.

As well as, on the contrary, open all the windows from the fob before boarding, AFTER start etc, without smartphone in hand ..

That's an awful lot of effort to avoid using the AC for a few extra seconds. Also note that if you're running the AC and then open the windows you're just letting all the hot air in - not sure why you'd want to do that. :confused:

That's an awful lot of effort to avoid using the AC for a few extra seconds. Also note that if you're running the AC and then open the windows you're just letting all the hot air in - not sure why you'd want to do that. :confused:

I don't know that European summers are any hotter than Texas or Arizona summers, but I can see the logic in opening windows after work on a hot day for a few minutes before turning on the AC (and closing the windows of course). I would want to do all this from the phone app while I am still in my office so this doesn't address the OP's point about using the fob to lower windows.

I don't know that European summers are any hotter than Texas or Arizona summers, but I can see the logic in opening windows after work on a hot day for a few minutes before turning on the AC (and closing the windows of course). I would want to do all this from the phone app while I am still in my office so this doesn't address the OP's point about using the fob to lower windows.
Agreed. You can open the windows, substantially and instantly decreasing the interior temperature much closer to ambient. Leave them open for a little bit before closing them and turning on the AC and you've just saved yourself a chunk of energy.

Ok thank you for your answer. I think it amazing that with a + 110 000€ car, you can't do that. It is very, very dissappointing. I don't see the point between the rain and open/close windows with the fob ?!?

What does the price have to do with anything? Tesla disabled the feature for a reason. It has nothing to do with the price.

- - - Updated - - -

The feature via the FOB was causing lots of accidents.

Really? Where did you get that information?

- - - Updated - - -

When it's a hot day and you've been parked in the sun returning to car with grocery bags and you can see your car across the lot and want to open all windows to let the inferno escape before you enter the car.

Your fob wouldn't even work from across the parking lot.

A lot of IFs :wink:.

If you count two as "a lot". ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know that European summers are any hotter than Texas or Arizona summers, but I can see the logic in opening windows after work on a hot day for a few minutes before turning on the AC (and closing the windows of course).

Or Florida summers for that matter. WRT the logic, I was replying to a post where the OP wanted to open the windows before parking and then close them again with the fob.

If they enabled it by default, certainly those that complained originally would be upset, but as long as it was "opt-in", I don't see why anybody would mind.

The problem was that a second double click didn't close them. Also it would be nice to just have them open 10-15mm along with the pano roof (to 20%). This is probably best done with the App because it has the potential to allow different degrees of openness.

- - - Updated - - -

If the car is superheated, then the A/C fan blows out the very hot air (although having the windows open just a bit and the pano open to 20% keeps the car close to ambient so running the A/C with the windows open is not necessary.

Ditch the antediluvian key fob--- the feature belongs in the App along with the car start feature recently added. The App would show you a picture of the windows state, so you could see that they were opened or closed.

Think how easy it will be to drop the windows from your Apple watch.... while you have the Tesla pull forward to meet you.

+1 to the idea of tapping the rain sensors to close windows when rain is detected and the car is 'off'.