Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to save a lot of time on long trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree conservative; when very low (below 10% for me) and easing off, as a consequence, I seem to be able to finish my journey at 75 - 80 MPH because there is more range than anticipated originally. I suppose better that way than running out! Not had the jumping-around, but I'm not brave enough to run it below 5%.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
After almost 3 years of trips with a Model S I'm pretty sure I'll keep doing a spreadsheet route plan for each trip forever -- not because I have any range or charging concerns, but because it really helps us plan the timing of where we want to get to or what we want to see along the way. So each major trip the spreadsheet has each row being actual distance, RM/RKm, travel time, kWh to the next stop, whether that's charging, sightseeing, or hotel. I use EVTripPlanner (and I've donated to the author a couple of times -- suggest would be a good thing for everyone to do) to put in the expected Rated Miles / Rated Km (or battery percentage) for each leg, and THAT tells me when I have enough at a charger for the next leg. The plan tells me the RM I need, and I add whatever buffer I feel like on the fly depending on weather etc (usually 15mi or 20km).

However most of the time the car is ready before we are, which means a) I have plenty of buffer without even trying, and b) I don't get the added advantage of "even quicker charging" while the battery has a low percentage. But we take trips to relax, not fret about losing a minute here or there. The extra planning I do in the few weeks prior to the trip is not a chore -- it helps us get excited about the trip, figure out what new sights we want to see along the way, and approximately when and where our planned stops will be for the night.

I played around with EV Trip Planner and it says I can make it as long as I keep my speed factor under 2.0 (I played with it a bit)....

The speed multiplier can be thought of as a percent of the average speed on the route, so a multiplier of 2.0 would be 200% of the average speed on the route. If you look at the steps tab, you'll see the projected average speed for each segment of your trip. Unless you really mean that you plan to drive 2x the speed of every other car on the road, or that you mean that you'll be able to cover the distance without having to worry about keeping under a particular maximum speed, 2.0 might not be the number you want to use. ;)

I'm planning an 1,800 mile round trip for the coming weekend and, at a speed multiplier of 1.0, EV Trip Planner projects I'd average 65mph over one particular long highway segment. At 1.15, it projects I'd average 75mph. I know the speed limit for that segment varies between 60 and 70mph, and I frequently drive it at between 67 and 77mph and am a little faster than most cars I come across. This is the longest trip I've planned, and the one that will cover the most "unfamiliar" roads. For other, shorter trips, I've adjusted the speed multiplier to approximate the speeds that I've typically driven on those knows roads in the past. Sometimes that means a slightly higher multiplier, and sometimes slightly lower. If I know about potentially adverse weather or other road conditions (construction, expected heavy traffic), I can try to approximate that, too.

Hmmm ... the "planner" part I agree with, but during the journey itself I find it useful as a prediction of whether I am over / under my target arrival reserve.

The in-car trip planner is the only tool that gets it's data from the car in realtime and allows to make reasonably accurate predictions about how much range you have. In terms of planning it's the lest flexible tool, though.

Reactions: rpez021
I think this thread recommendation should change a bit because of the large number of Supercharging station coming up online. It wouldn't make sense to stop at every stations if you can avoid it. I usually stop at every other stations to get my SOC low enough and since my 90D charges pretty fast I don't really need a full charge to skip the next one to make it to the next next supercharging station. At least this is true in CA with a lot of stations online. Though I would recommend skipping a few congestion and problematic stations if possible.

• Informative
I think this thread recommendation should change a bit because of the large number of Supercharging station coming up online. It wouldn't make sense to stop at every stations if you can avoid it. I usually stop at every other stations to get my SOC low enough and since my 90D charges pretty fast I don't really need a full charge to skip the next one to make it to the next next supercharging station. At least this is true in CA with a lot of stations online. Though I would recommend skipping a few congestion and problematic stations if possible.

Absolutely. Since I posted this I made a video about the subject that explains it much better.

Unfortunately the original post is also missing important screen shots. I can't edit it, though and the mods have been deaf to my request.

If your % remaining is falling into the uncomfortable area, SLOW DOWN!!! Turn off the heater (and use only seat heaters). Otherwise, as you get closer to the next Supercharger, you can speed up to burn down even closer to 0%.

Not necessary. Just pull a safe
distance behind a large rig going 70-80 mph and draft for as long as possible. It's amazing how much range drafting saves. I do it whenever I'm concerned about range. It's always worked.

Not necessary. Just pull a safe
distance behind a large rig going 70-80 mph and draft for as long as possible. It's amazing how much range drafting saves. I do it whenever I'm concerned about range. It's always worked.
In 1981, on a clear sunny day, on Interstate 81 in Virginia, USA, near Steele’s Tavern exit, I was “safely drafting” a tractor trailor at 70-80 miles per hour.
Imagine my amazement when a huge solid chunk of aluminum fell off one of the trucks in somewhere in front of the tractor trailor I was drafting.
We both hit it at 70-80mph as time slowed to a crawl, it was about 10 inches by 20 inches by about 15+ feet. It flattened my rear tires, dented the rims and I skidded to a stop and did not roll with an almost full gas tank.
I really don’t recommend drafting

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and wesley888
I do wonder how fully autonomous driving will handle that sort of incident. Love the idea, I will probably use it when it's available, but do worry a bit!
In theory, and according to the AP 2 announcement, it might be able to see the hazard from under the truck and start braking. Depending on the truck's height and length, you might get enough time to shed a fair amount of speed. Wouldn't depend on it, of course. Does AP take evasive maneuvers (panic lane changes) if there's nobody in the way?

In theory, and according to the AP 2 announcement, it might be able to see the hazard from under the truck and start braking. Depending on the truck's height and length, you might get enough time to shed a fair amount of speed. Wouldn't depend on it, of course. Does AP take evasive maneuvers (panic lane changes) if there's nobody in the way?
If the vehicles in an AP 2 network are "meshed networks" the alert would have come even sooner.
If i had done a "panic lane change" I would have been a "rolling ball of fire"

Part of the fun of a long road trip is the planing. I don’t draft trucks doing 80MPH and I try to seep my speed under 70. I’m not concerned about an extra hour or two in driving from point A to B, I’m on vacation.

Regarding business travel, the first time may be interesting after that you should know the stops you have to make and how long your going to be there. Once we have a battery that will extend our range to 400 miles this subject will no longer be talked about.

Related to this thread, I recently had my SOC go down to about 3% when I reached a supercharging station. When I plugged in, it wouldn't charge. I tried moving to a couple other stations but none of them would work. While plugged in, I noticed that there were a few pulses of some current ~10A but mostly nothing. My percentage went down to about 2%. I called Tesla service and they looked me up and said that there was nothing wrong and that when the SOC gets really low, it takes some time to get the charge up before supercharging can start. So relieved, I left it to charge. Sure enough, about 15 minutes of seeming to do nothing, it started to charge slowly and then eventually started to supercharge. I was searching online and in the manual about this "feature" but couldn't find anything. Has anybody else experienced this? At what point is it best to be in a low SOC when supercharging before hitting this special circumstance?

• Informative
The in-car trip planner is the only tool that gets it's data from the car in realtime and allows to make reasonably accurate predictions about how much range you have. In terms of planning it's the lest flexible tool, though.

In my experience, the trip planner will estimate 20% at my destination. After 30 min on the road it has rapidly lost 10% of that buffer. This is extremely consistent and happened on each leg of my trip so I just account for it up front.

• Informative
Related to this thread, I recently had my SOC go down to about 3% when I reached a supercharging station. When I plugged in, it wouldn't charge. I tried moving to a couple other stations but none of them would work. While plugged in, I noticed that there were a few pulses of some current ~10A but mostly nothing. My percentage went down to about 2%. I called Tesla service and they looked me up and said that there was nothing wrong and that when the SOC gets really low, it takes some time to get the charge up before supercharging can start. So relieved, I left it to charge. Sure enough, about 15 minutes of seeming to do nothing, it started to charge slowly and then eventually started to supercharge. I was searching online and in the manual about this "feature" but couldn't find anything. Has anybody else experienced this? At what point is it best to be in a low SOC when supercharging before hitting this special circumstance?

Yes, I've heard a couple reports of this after 8.0. Which model do you have?

• Informative
In my experience, the trip planner will estimate 20% at my destination. After 30 min on the road it has rapidly lost 10% of that buffer. This is extremely consistent and happened on each leg of my trip so I just account for it up front.
How fast do you normally drive?

I've heard both sides. For my, it's the opposite (and I speed), trip planner estimates my travels pretty well.