Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to sell my BMW before Tesla Arrives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I take delivery of my model 3 on the 9th December but I’ve been trying to sell my diesel BMW F30 for a month.

It’s in genuine mint condition with no scratches, FSH, 4 new run flats even the ac was topped up a few months ago.

On top of that it’s the 3rd cheapest on autotrader the cheapest has no history and the second to cheapest looks dodgy.

Any suggestions on how to sell the car? I’ve dropped the car by £800 but still can’t sell it.

Being the cheapest in autotrader means it’s not overpriced.

I do need to sell ASAP so any advice is most welcome.

Thanks

Used luxury car market is tough at the moment, especially as most will be purchasing with a loan, with lenders being very cautious.

Additionally, people are more reluctant to travel any distance which reduces your market size.

You'll take a hit financially but WBAC or Motorway are probably the quickest way to sell your car at the moment.

The car market isn't in the best shape right now, more so just before Christmas! Have you seen what tesla will offer you for a trade in? Have you also tried WBAC and similar companies? I got my M3 in September last year and for my previous car WBAC actually offered more that any offers I was getting from autotrader.

It sounds harsh, but at the end if the day it's what someone is prepared to offer for it.

Buyers market at the moment...coming up to Christmas, recession looming, uncertain impact of Brexit as a New Year's gift, lockdown and coronavirus. Lots of uncertainty out there.

Last edited:
before I took delivery of my TM3 in Sept I sold my previous car (Mazda CX5) via motorway.co.uk and their premium service, it was quick, great customer service and comms through out the process. I had to upload photos, service history etc and then they told me the price they could guarantee (which was more than what WBAC was quoting me online). If you agree they put your car up for auction through their UK wide dealership network, I ended up getting £750 more then the price they guaranteed to me, with the added bonus of them arranging collection from my house for free.

before I took delivery of my TM3 in Sept I sold my previous car (Mazda CX5) via motorway.co.uk and their premium service, it was quick, great customer service and comms through out the process. I had to upload photos, service history etc and then they told me the price they could guarantee (which was more than what WBAC was quoting me online). If you agree they put your car up for auction through their UK wide dealership network, I ended up getting £750 more then the price they guaranteed to me, with the added bonus of them arranging collection from my house for free.

I used motorway also. They ended up offering me 5K more than Mercedes, and 11K more than tesla. Cant fault the service I got from them. Not sure what they are like for older or less desirable cars but I left happy. Sale was done and dusted within 5 days

Just entered it on webuyanycar and it says £7,100 but I know when you get there they will lower the price like they did to me last time.

At £7,100 I’m giving the car away :(

if anyone is interested in a steal of a car let me know.

Just entered it on webuyanycar and it says £7,100 but I know when you get there they will lower the price like they did to me last time.

At £7,100 I’m giving the car away :(

if anyone is interested in a steal of a car let me know.
You describe it as genuinely mint, with no scratches, if there is genuinely nothing wrong with the car then they won't lower the price. I know it might vary where you take it too, but I was interested to see how much they would knock me down for my car, turns out they didn't, as well, there wasn't really anything wrong with it and was in pretty mint condition. I only went there with the plans to not sell it there and then as I wasn't ready, but to see how much they would knock it down, a few days later they emailed me with an even higher offer, with no offer close on autotrader and the huge convenience, I ended up selling it to them, and got the newly increased price no issues. No idea what you have it up for on autotrader I would expect you to only get 1-2k more selling privately, tops. Also worth checking motorway as well like others have suggested.

Wizzle have a good rep for buying BMWs, esp F30s. I'm coming from a F11 (which is staying as the family carthorse) but been a member of BMW forums for 8 years. Wizzle don't tend to haggle upon sight of the car, as long as it is as described, and have certainly offered better deals than most other sites lately.

You describe it as genuinely mint, with no scratches, if there is genuinely nothing wrong with the car then they won't lower the price. I know it might vary where you take it too, but I was interested to see how much they would knock me down for my car, turns out they didn't, as well, there wasn't really anything wrong with it and was in pretty mint condition. I only went there with the plans to not sell it there and then as I wasn't ready, but to see how much they would knock it down, a few days later they emailed me with an even higher offer, with no offer close on autotrader and the huge convenience, I ended up selling it to them, and got the newly increased price no issues. No idea what you have it up for on autotrader I would expect you to only get 1-2k more selling privately, tops. Also worth checking motorway as well like others have suggested.
I went to We Buy Any Car. I thought mine was absolutely perfect after a thorough cleaning. I took it in and the guy who was very nice managed to find a couple of slight scratches that I couldn't see without stronger glasses. I could have polished them out easily but I am sure he would have found something else. He took £500 off but I got him back to £250 and took the deal which was better than Motorway or Arnold Clark and much better than Tesla. It was however wonderful to be clear without hassle.