Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This MAY help, but I still had it wiping when I had just had my car washed and had new blades (okay, they were three weeks old, but that still counts as "new")
Ah ... I think I see the problem!

I never had this issue until I bought Bosch Pure Vision blades this January. After two months I gave up and put the two-year-old original blades back on. I'm taking the new blades back and I'm hoping to get at least a partial refund.

I concluded that the new blades just weren't pushing down enough at the tips of the blades.

Upvote 0
I also found it very annoying. If the car is in cruise control OR auto-pilot and it senses any moisture then the wipers wipe every 5 seconds (mode II).
When you try and press the wiper button to OFF it lets you for a fraction of a second before jumping back to speed II.
I had to turn off cruise-control to stop the wipers! And yes, had rained, had stopped raining 10minutes earlier - but still the car wanted to keep wiping. Maybe some condensation. But if I indicate the wipers to stop wiping a clear windscreen - stop wiping! I bet there was a tiny bit of condensation or a tiny bit of dirt. And yes I frequently wash the windscreen and it was otherwise perfectly clear!
Whose in control of the car if I can't stop a wiper wiping! It's a bit distracting having it wipe a clear windscreen!

Upvote 0
This MAY help, but I still had it wiping when I had just had my car washed and had new blades (okay, they were three weeks old, but that still counts as "new")
I'm with you. With the FSD beta (Auto Wipers are on by default), my just cleaned Model 3 with a very clean windshield the Auto Wipers seems to always come on at least once during a drive for no apparent reason.

Upvote 0
And yes I frequently wash the windscreen and it was otherwise perfectly clear!
Whose in control of the car if I can't stop a wiper wiping! It's a bit distracting having it wipe a clear windscreen!
I'm with you. With the FSD beta (Auto Wipers are on by default), my just cleaned Model 3 with a very clean windshield the Auto Wipers seems to always come on at least once during a drive for no apparent reason.
To be clear, washing the "windscreen" is worthless given the cameras can't see the rest of the windscreen. What you need to wash is where the cameras are (just it looking clean at a glance is not enough either, it has to be thoroughly washed so there are no water spots). There's also suggestion that washing the wipers themselves help as they can get smeary. Certain lighting conditions may trigger them also (especially if there is dust or residue on the glass in front to the cameras), as well as if the inside of the housing is dirty (harder to clean that area, but some have done that).

Upvote 0
To be clear, washing the "windscreen" is worthless given the cameras can't see the rest of the windscreen. What you need to wash is where the cameras are (just it looking clean at a glance is not enough either, it has to be thoroughly washed so there are no water spots). There's also suggestion that washing the wipers themselves help as they can get smeary. Certain lighting conditions may trigger them also (especially if there is dust or residue on the glass in front to the cameras), as well as if the inside of the housing is dirty (harder to clean that area, but some have done that).
But this all just emphasizes how bad the system is failing. Do we need to go to these extremes every time we get into our cars? The system should not be so fussy that it cannot properly discern a faint smudge from actual rain.

Not attacking you @stopcrazypp - just pointing the frustratingly bad system.

Upvote 0
But this all just emphasizes how bad the system is failing. Do we need to go to these extremes every time we get into our cars? The system should not be so fussy that it cannot properly discern a faint smudge from actual rain.

Not attacking you @stopcrazypp - just pointing the frustratingly bad system.
It's not necessarily every time you get into the car, just to do it at least once to see it if addresses the issue. I've seen it mentioned people that have these problems and it goes away after they actually thoroughly wash the camera section. Previously it only looked "clean" to them, and they were "washing" the windshield, but they never actually got the cameras clean.

I haven't had dry wipe issues with the auto wipers, but I wash my car every week or two and every time I wipe dry with microfiber cloth (my water is hard water so I must do so or there would be water spots).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Believe me, my windshield was perfectly clean, no bugs, no dirt and no water spots. It's not even dirty inside where the cameras are. The Auto Wiper algorithm is just flawed.

Upvote 0
Believe me, my windshield was perfectly clean, no bugs, no dirt and no water spots. It's not even dirty inside where the cameras are. The Auto Wiper algorithm is just flawed.
I when I first got the car in the middle of summer I left wipers in auto and some mornings my wipers would turn on and my car was as clean as it is after a car wash. The cameras seem to get fooled pretty easily as even using cruise control I have had a lot of phantom slow downs early in the morning with no other cars or anything on the road as it seems approaching overpasses can trick the cameras at times.

Reactions: Resist
Upvote 0
When this happens, it's excruciating. Just when you think it's done and you say, "Phew!" ...

Wipe.
It's the fact it's "auto-wipers" for basic cruise-control and the car ignores you when you turn them-off, and turns them back on!! So, even when I'm not in "auto-pilot" and I'm in the UK and have not bought "self-driving". And Elon says if somebody crashed - but you're supposed to be able to always take back control of the car. Well we can't even control the wipers so who is in control!
My ex-manager was annoyed when a passenger because I leave on the dinging so the car beeps at me when you go over the speed limit. ie. the road changes from 40 to 30mph and you are doing 37 and it's going DING, DING, DING. I like it as a reminder to slow if the zone has changed. He hated that! I did say you could turn it off in the settings. He said he complained to the kitchen fitter cos his fridge beeps at him when he leaves the door open while making a sandwich! How would this type of person react to the fact you can't turn off your own wipers in any setting if you're only using basic cruise control!!! Don't think he'd like phantom braking either!

Upvote 0
It's the fact it's "auto-wipers" for basic cruise-control and the car ignores you when you turn them-off, and turns them back on!! So, even when I'm not in "auto-pilot" and I'm in the UK and have not bought "self-driving". And Elon says if somebody crashed - but you're supposed to be able to always take back control of the car. Well we can't even control the wipers so who is in control!
My ex-manager was annoyed when a passenger because I leave on the dinging so the car beeps at me when you go over the speed limit. ie. the road changes from 40 to 30mph and you are doing 37 and it's going DING, DING, DING. I like it as a reminder to slow if the zone has changed. He hated that! I did say you could turn it off in the settings. He said he complained to the kitchen fitter cos his fridge beeps at him when he leaves the door open while making a sandwich! How would this type of person react to the fact you can't turn off your own wipers in any setting if you're only using basic cruise control!!! Don't think he'd like phantom braking either!
The only Teslas that got basic cruise control (as in not even TACC) was in a very short time period when AP was not include free. Are you sure your car doesn't have AP? If it has an Autosteer option, it doesn't have basic cruise control. To clarify TACC (where car slows down for traffic ahead) is not basic cruise control.

Upvote 0
The problem seems to be that when using Autopilot the wipers go to AUTO and you cannot set them to manual. In other words, on bright, clear, sunny days when the wipers are frantically racing back and forth, scratching your windshield, you cannot use autopilot. Tesla, please fix.
A friend of mine with a M3 went to a service centre (in Canada :)) and complained about the wipers coming on when the windshield was clean and dry. They removed the cover from the windshield camera and cleaned the INSIDE of the windshield in front of the camera lens and he claims that the problem went away.

Upvote 0
A friend of mine with a M3 went to a service centre (in Canada :)) and complained about the wipers coming on when the windshield was clean and dry. They removed the cover from the windshield camera and cleaned the INSIDE of the windshield in front of the camera lens and he claims that the problem went away.
Well, I am due to get my windshield replaced on the 27th, so I will see if this is true

Reactions: Oparide
Upvote 0