Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what Hertz thinks about this. Hertz is renting out Tesla's to anybody. Have a many coworkers who got into a Tesla for the first time like this since Hertz is offering often as a standard car (e.g. in NE with some good rain). Maybe that explains why some rental Tesla's are more beat up :)

Upvote 0
When I was driving home into the sun, the wipers on our Model 3 came on and I tried everything I could safely do while driving to shut them off. I didn't have control of wiper speed. Finally when I turned onto another road, the voice command finally worked. Probably was caused by too much dirt where the camera is. (Casper, you live on a dirt road. If you're ever clean, then consider yourself lucky.)

Upvote 0
It's a case of gross incompetence. Every other car maker in the world who has addressed this feature either has working automatic wipers or adjustable interval wipers. Not Tesla, no sir, the cream of the crop when it comes to technology, cannot solve this problem. Incompetent. Downright stupid and disrespectful to its customers. Yeah, I'm a little salty.

FWIW, if it weren't for their insistence on using the "automatic" setting for wipers when using autopilot, EAP or FSD, I might not care quite as much.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
After switching to Vision (forced to do so after they broke app functionality on the non-Vision) auto wipers are much worse in terms of false positives.

When driving under a bridge it would consistently do dry wipes, and wouldn't stop, even wiping with washer fluid. I guess I see why people are so frustrated with it.

Tesla can solve this easily by allowing a sensitivity setting like most cars do. I see why they need to allow the car to set wipers when on AP, but everyone has different wipe preferences.

Upvote 0
The problem is there is no easy solution. From what I can tell, the camera isn’t focused on the surface of the window, it’s focused in the distance (by necessity to see the road, etc). The only way it can detect rain is detecting the impact that rain causes on the distant items. It has to detect blur on the image.

Experiment I did - open the car door. Cleaned the front window. Misted water drops on the window in front of the camera. Waited a bit then wiped off the water. Get in car. Press “save dashcam” and then view the dash cam video.

No significant drops visible on the recording, the pic just gets hazy.

The wide angle camera should be a bit better, but not sure how much.

Call it a software problem, but imo, it’s a hardware issue.

Reactions: Dracaris
Upvote 0
They made it a software problem themselves by eliminating tried and true hardware that has been used for decades. I don’t know if they can ever properly duplicate the function of the missing hardware with software because as you said, the cameras cannot focus on the glass to detect rain like a rain sensor can.

I think the same will end up being true for Vision Park Assist with the elimination of USS.

Reactions: Pecos Bill
Upvote 0
The problem is there is no easy solution. From what I can tell, the camera isn’t focused on the surface of the window, it’s focused in the distance (by necessity to see the road, etc). The only way it can detect rain is detecting the impact that rain causes on the distant items. It has to detect blur on the image.

Experiment I did - open the car door. Cleaned the front window. Misted water drops on the window in front of the camera. Waited a bit then wiped off the water. Get in car. Press “save dashcam” and then view the dash cam video.

If you have one of the newer updates, you can preview the wide camera too.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0

Excellent point. It seems likely the only way the car could see rain on the windshield via the primary forward camera is by how it forces blurring / soft focus, or obscures the view altogether, depending how hard the rain is falling. Of course, if there were two forward cameras the car could go into "cross-eyed mode" to look at the surface of the windshield instead of at traffic ahead. Maybe if they added a camera with a macro lens that actually focused on the windshield while the regular camera focuses ahead per normal.... Sadly, that's probably more expensive than a rain sensor! 😱

Upvote 0
Excellent point. It seems likely the only way the car could see rain on the windshield via the primary forward camera is by how it forces blurring / soft focus, or obscures the view altogether, depending how hard the rain is falling. Of course, if there were two forward cameras the car could go into "cross-eyed mode" to look at the surface of the windshield instead of at traffic ahead. Maybe if they added a camera with a macro lens that actually focused on the windshield while the regular camera focuses ahead per normal.... Sadly, that's probably more expensive than a rain sensor! 😱
They can solve a lot of problems just with a simple sensitivity slider (or two: one for activation threshold, one for aggressiveness of wiping in terms of the speed set). A lot of the problems stem from one size fits all.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Cool idea, but sensitivity to what? If the camera can't see it, then increasing sensitivity to the invisible might not help much.
Sensitivity to whatever it was detecting (whether it's blur or drops further from the camera). It's not like the rain detection doesn't work at all, just that it sometimes dry wipes and the aggressiveness of wiping does not match everyone's preferences (I personally prefer the bare minimum, others I have seen complain that it doesn't wipe enough).

Upvote 0
Sensitivity to whatever it was detecting (whether it's blur or drops further from the camera). It's not like the rain detection doesn't work at all, just that it sometimes dry wipes and the aggressiveness of wiping does not match everyone's preferences (I personally prefer the bare minimum, others I have seen complain that it doesn't wipe enough).
That's fair, though our experience has been more extreme. While on "auto" we get lots of dry wipes, especially after dark, and in the worst downpours imaginable the wipers don't work at all. We'll keep hoping for some improvement in the next, or the next after that, or the next after next after that update, but this whole mess is ridiculous and shines a gigantic spotlight, globally, on Tesla's gross incompetence with something as simple as automatic wipers when they're also asking us to believe that FSD will some day actually be what the name implies.

I can say with confidence that correctly operating automatic wipers is a simple problem to solve, since it's been solved for quite a few years on other cars with that feature via a rain sensor. Tesla's foolish decision to remove that sensor from their "vision" cars without first having a working alternative solution is at the root of this whole mess.

Upvote 0
That's fair, though our experience has been more extreme. While on "auto" we get lots of dry wipes, especially after dark, and in the worst downpours imaginable the wipers don't work at all. We'll keep hoping for some improvement in the next, or the next after that, or the next after next after that update, but this whole mess is ridiculous and shines a gigantic spotlight, globally, on Tesla's gross incompetence with something as simple as automatic wipers when they're also asking us to believe that FSD will some day actually be what the name implies.

I can say with confidence that correctly operating automatic wipers is a simple problem to solve, since it's been solved for quite a few years on other cars with that feature via a rain sensor. Tesla's foolish decision to remove that sensor from their "vision" cars without first having a working alternative solution is at the root of this whole mess.
I pointed out in another thread rain sensors aren't perfect either (there are complaints about that too). The difference is manufacturers have a sensitivity setting available, which allows people to adjust to their preferences. Tesla is sorely missing that.

Upvote 0
I think the same will end up being true for Vision Park Assist with the elimination of USS.
I was pissed with their shitty demand that I sign the no USS document AFTER I ordered my ‘23 Y having sold my 2018 Model 3. I should have demanded a full refund but they’re the only really good EV otherwise. The kicker was I was a moron pushing forward with the FSD free transfer in Q3

All of this hinges on FSD with Tesla vision and I think it’s correct that they can’t do it with the hardware they have. They’re assuming cameras can focus up close but they can’t without proper lenses

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyOnikara
Upvote 0