Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if new car has HW4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of sales person, I talked to people working at the delivery department. They told me the Model X with three cams on the windshield is on the HW4 computer.
It doesn’t matter who you talked to. They told you wrong and the same principle applies. Every Tesla delivered since October 2016 - every single one - has three front facing cameras in the windshield.

Here’s a pic of my apparently HW4 2016 Model S.

IMG_8702.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: VikH and ShareLofty
It doesn’t matter who you talked to. They told you wrong and the same principle applies. Every Tesla delivered since October 2016 - every single one - has three front facing cameras in the windshield.

Here’s a pic of my apparently HW4 2016 Model S.

View attachment 913997
So, did you get this information from the $17/hr advisor, the $20/hr delivery person or the $23/hr High Fidelity Stereo Shop Manager? 😁😁😁

Reactions: TheSodaSaga
FWIW-transition period vehicles can eventually land in the software update equivalent of “Radiator Springs” with infrequent and feature-deficient updates.

In 2017 I purchased an inventory HW 2.0 Model S with Enhanced AutoPilot. Added FSD during one of the “Need cash NOW!” sales. Upgraded to MCU 2 and FSD 3 when they were available.

Until 2022, the car received regular software updates. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the 2.1 camera upgrades. Each time I tried to schedule it, the request was rejected with, “Don’t bug us. We’ll let you know when we have some for you.”

This was when my car fell off the update train into Radiator Springs. There are few vehicles with FSD 3 computer but 2.0 cameras. It would be hard to justify the effort to improve and test software, so Tesla doesn’t. Every few months they scrape together some MCU2 features and push that out.

My cameras were finally upgraded last week. No notification from Tesla, I submitted a service request and it was accepted. No FSD Beta until the NHTSA fixes are implemented and distributed.

At least I have sharper dashcam footage, and I should be getting more frequent updates since I’m out of Radiator Springs for a few years.

Cars with FSD 4 processor and “classic” camera suite - everything shipped so far - will be succeeded by vehicles with a “full” camera suite that fills more of the FSD 4 ports in a year or two.

After that, FSD 4 classic camera suite vehicles will eventually be a small portion of the fleet. Then it will be hard to justify dedicating Dojo training capacity for “classic” FSD 4 and those cars’ capabilities will plateau.

Any time you purchase an item with rapidly-evolving technology you can be confident it will become outdated. Just as a surfer chooses a wave knowing that ride will end. Some see a stronger wave approaching and decide to wait for it, hoping for a longer ride.

Some Model X's have been delivered with Phoenix Radar. This shows up in the About screen on the car. Phoenix was the code name of the new radar system. If Phoenix Radar is there vs blank, then the radar is there.

I haven't seen what the About screen shows with HW4.

They do. My Feb 2 MXP I just picked up has updated cameras, no radar sensors, red brake calipers, and no Tesla logo on the rear.

Mine is Jan 30 and it has updated cameras too.

I stand corrected! I thought they started mid feb.

Can you post screenshots of the about screen and details page? Do they both show phoenix radar?

Can you also post picture of the camera view? Do they seem to be RGB cameras?